Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Beautiful morning in Dublin 5, sunny, very cold and frosty. Already a nicer month than the whole winter combined, even from the perspective of a person who has no interest in wintry weather.

-3c at Dublin Airport. I don't remember it getting this cold there this "season". The lowest I can recall is -2c in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Artane2002 wrote: »
    Beautiful morning in Dublin 5, sunny, very cold and frosty. Already a nicer month than the whole winter combined, even from the perspective of a person who has no interest in wintry weather.

-3c at Dublin Airport. I don't remember it getting this cold there this "season". The lowest I can recall is -2c in November.

Mid-December got down to -2.9C. It’s shocking that October 2018 (-4.7C) had a lower min there than the entirety of Winter 2019-20.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

vladmydad wrote: »
    I was taking the trip to escape the constant rain.

But it is a lovely week here so you are happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,678 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

km79 wrote: »
    But it is a lovely week here so you are happy?

Monday wasn't particularly nice, very windy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Mid-December got down to -2.9C. It’s shocking that October 2018 (-4.7C) had a lower min there than the entirety of Winter 2019-20.

Shocking is the word alright Syran.

Is it just me or does it seem very plausible that we could have a potent northerly or even easterly in the next 2-4 weeks. Some charts showing deep cold way out in FI. As the polar vortex usually weakens in spring I’m starting to think these FI charts might materialise.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. October 2019 also had a cold spell didn't it? Not to the same magnitude as 2018 of course. It's just pathetic how our winter seems to be late October/November and/or March eg 2015-16, 2016-17, 2018-19 and 2019-20. 2017-18 technically fits this category too but every month had some sort of wintry spell so I'll exclude that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

You cant win at this point even when record cold happens its still means climate change...Its no surprise it was a record warm winter because all the cold was trapped up in the arctic with the record polar vortex but I see conveniently they dont even mention this...scientists my a$$ what a joke

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another lovely dry day in Meath, although not as sunny as the past 4 days. Tomorrow should be fairly dry too once any rain/drizzle clears in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

The last few days have been a godsend.

Beautiful dry, sunny spring days.

Yes freezing cold in mornings but I dont mind that. Everyone in better form aswell because you can really see a stretch in evenings when its lovely bright days.

My car was sitting in sun this morning + was actually warm when I got in it at lunchtime! I've forgotten how nice that is.

Long may it continue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,492 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Indeed, very much appreciative that we've had such a nice run of days. A breath of fresh air as they say and the last two days in particular with the light winds. I crave the sun but after February... I'll take light winds and dry any day!

Poor old England has had a good soaking today meanwhile, god love them :cool:

Indeed, very much appreciative that we've had such a nice run of days. A breath of fresh air as they say and the last two days in particular with the light winds. I crave the sun but after February... I'll take light winds and dry any day!

Poor old England has had a good soaking today meanwhile, god love them :cool:

I agree. I'm a fan of windy weather but even for me having to fight the wind everyday has gotten quite tiresome!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

I hate the wind!

So glad it's gone for now along with the rain.

Cloudy in Dublin. I forgot to mention this but the Wicklow Mountains still have snow on the top from last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Grand morning in meath, sun is out and calm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I saw from Knock Airport yesterday that the top of Croagh Patrick still has a good covering of snow on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,054 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Weather Advisory for Connacht, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Donegal, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary

Periods of heavy rainfall from Saturday to Tuesday may lead to some local flooding as river levels remain elevated.
    The heaviest of the rain will be through Saturday afternoon, and again early Monday and early Tuesday, with rainfall accumulations from Saturday to Tuesday of 40 to 50mm in places, with some spot flooding.

Strong winds at times also, with gales on coasts.

Valid: 12:00 Saturday 07/03/2020 to 18:00 Tuesday 10/03/2020

Issued: 13:00 Friday 06/03/2020

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Weather Advisory for Connacht, Longford, Offaly, Westmeath, Cavan, Donegal, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Limerick and Tipperary

Periods of heavy rainfall from Saturday to Tuesday may lead to some local flooding as river levels remain elevated.
    The heaviest of the rain will be through Saturday afternoon, and again early Monday and early Tuesday, with rainfall accumulations from Saturday to Tuesday of 40 to 50mm in places, with some spot flooding.

Great stuff. Just what the doctor ordered.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

I saw from Knock Airport yesterday that the top of Croagh Patrick still has a good covering of snow on it.
    Snow still clinging on also to the tops of Nephin, Bireen Corragh, and the Partry Mountains also. In fact there has been a bit of snow visible on Nephin continuously for the past couple of weeks now.
    The past few days have been more than acceptable here in Mayo. A couple of cracking days earlier this week and apart from a small bit of rain yesterday, the predominantly dry weather has been most welcome. Unfortunately a bit of a reality check on the way after looking at Oscar Bravo's post.
    A dry afternoon here with a bit of on and off sunshine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

over the next week, the PV will try to go for record levels yet again. This will bring about a very wet and quite windy spell as our weather turns much more unsettled once again.

Any signs of high pressure or a change in the pattern continues to get pushed back towards the end of March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Day 5 of sunshine and blue sky, really enjoyed been outside this week, unfortunately looks like the last for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Gonzo wrote: »
    over the next week, the PV will try to go for record levels yet again. This will bring about a very wet and quite windy spell as our weather turns much more unsettled once again.

Any signs of high pressure or a change in the pattern continues to get pushed back towards the end of March.
    Beyond Mon/Tues are they giving a lot of rain? Do u think a lot of systems will be crossing the country?

Beyond Mon/Tues are they giving a lot of rain? Do u think a lot of systems will be crossing the country?

most of next week looks unsettled, beyond that it's hard to tell because the high pressures and possible pattern changes in FI keeps getting pushed back and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Day 5 of sunshine and blue sky, really enjoyed been outside this week, unfortunately looks like the last for a while

giphy.gif

Not really, this week weather wise has been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Woken very early by the familiar old wind and rain; thought we were going to be OK until later... High wind and loud rain.... the old familiar sounds of Ireland... ill abed so can stay clear of it..was lovely without it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Windy morning in my area. Dampish but not really raining.

appledrop wrote: »
    I hate the wind!

So glad it's gone for now along with the rain.

It's back, was a nice 3 days without it though, blowing a gale outside now, sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

Very windy but MUCH drier than forecast
    I’ll take it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

It's back, was a nice 3 days without it though, blowing a gale outside now, sigh

I think its time to change the name of Saturday to Windyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A viciously wild wet day out here. Just..... nasty, noisy. Horrible!

Advertisement