Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTYI course are TOO EXPENSIVE.

• 02-09-2014 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭

Every time we receive the letter from CTYI we say to ourselves 'yes, let's make a bit of time for a CTYI course'. We are prepared to commit ourselves to the 1 hour each way drive, 2.5 hours waiting around, missing music practice, sports training, family occasions etc....

...And then we see the price.:eek:

How in the name of God can CTYI justify €230 for 8 classes that are only 2.5 hours long? Given that there are 20-25 kids in a class that works out at just under €300 per hour! And the classes are just run by students. Of course they're well able, but it doesn't justify the cost.

There are so many better ways for us to spend our time and money on classes for our children that will stimulate their minds more, provide better tuition, teach them new skills, develop their confidence etc. than wasting our time and money on CTYI. Seriously.

Effectively this State provides no support for children that are 'talented'. What a wasted opportunity.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭SOL

If there are 20 kids it's €230/hour. A lecturer is going to be about 70/hour minimum add room hire and that takes care of atleast half of this. Every course also has a huge ammount of admin involved, all the mailouts and class organisation requires having full time employees too so it's not hard to see where all the money goes.

This should of course be subsidised and it would probably be great if you wrote to your local TD and made this an issue. BTW, I'm not in anyway related to CTYI other than the fact I went there over 10 years ago but I do think it's a terrible shame that there is so little help for those at this end of the educational spectrum so please if it affects you, write to those who can change it and get others to write too...

(BTW if you think 70/hour is a lot to pay for a lecturer, the pay for a part time assistant lecturer is 56.74/hour (you can check the TUI website) and add payroll and tax costs to this and it's atleast 70/hour)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭bren2001

SOL wrote: »
    If there are 20 kids it's €230/hour. A lecturer is going to be about 70/hour minimum add room hire and that takes care of atleast half of this. Every course also has a huge ammount of admin involved, all the mailouts and class organisation requires having full time employees too so it's not hard to see where all the money goes.

This should of course be subsidised and it would probably be great if you wrote to your local TD and made this an issue. BTW, I'm not in anyway related to CTYI other than the fact I went there over 10 years ago but I do think it's a terrible shame that there is so little help for those at this end of the educational spectrum so please if it affects you, write to those who can change it and get others to write too...

(BTW if you think 70/hour is a lot to pay for a lecturer, the pay for a part time assistant lecturer is 56.74/hour (you can check the TUI website) and add payroll and tax costs to this and it's atleast 70/hour)

Won't post the lecturer's pay on a public site but they get nowhere near 70e per hour.

Saying that, CTYI is a reasonably well run organisation. There are a lot of costs in the background that you wouldn't see. Room hire, lab hire (for the science ones), equipment, insurance, research, the teaching assistant etc. Could it be cheaper? Yes. It is overly expensive? No.

Advertisement