Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Article in Yesterday's Irish Times

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,141 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

What does it say? It'd be nice if you could say something about it as opposed to just dumping a link here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭glut22

My apologies - just thought the article might be of interest.
    Esp the below excerpt:

While infertility continues to cause a host of issues in relationships, including marital conflicts and emotional distress, according to Dr Rita Glover, assistant professor in psychotherapy at Dublin City University (DCU), problems can also arise in a relationship where a person is at odds with their partner about the decision to procreate.

Dr Rita Glover says there has to be an acknowledgement for women’s ‘innate wisdom’ when it comes to making this lifelong decision.

“When a woman chooses to be voluntarily childless, she’s actually beginning to make a decision very much for the relationship as well,” says Glover, “and what you don’t want to happen is that there would be resentment build-up from the partner who gave up the choice to have children.”

In 2019, Dr Glover supervised a research study on voluntary childlessness to gain some insight into the lived experiences of women who were deciding to be childless. Conducted by Deirdre O’Keeffe, during her final year in the MSc psychotherapy programme in DCU, the qualitative research study examined women in the 30-48 age group.

Using a phenomenological hermeneutical method– which focuses on the lived experiences of participants – the analysis uncovered four common experiences for the childless women in the study, one of which was being fearful.

“Sometimes having a fear or being concerned about something is a good pointer to one’s psychological and physical survival,” says Dr Glover, “and for some women, the bit about being well in their mind and their body is tied up with being voluntarily childless.

“That is not seen to be a deficit,” she says, “and that is what we found in our study, that it’s not a deficit to really be prepared to look after your mental health and your physical health by choosing to be childless.”

Dr Glover also says there has to be an acknowledgement for women’s “innate wisdom” when it comes to making this lifelong decision.

“There can be some kind of an innate wisdom in that [choosing to be childless] for some women who on some deep level know that this is not the right choice for them, that it’s not the right thing for them to have children. So it’s almost like we need to acknowledge women’s innate wisdom by these things, and to be fearful that it [having children] might compromise your mental health or your physical health can be a good decision for women,” she explains.

Deirdre O’Keeffe, who is now a psychotherapist with TCD Student Counselling Service, was the lead researcher in this study, one of the first of its kind.

“The literature that’s currently available on voluntary childlessness – and there’s very little in terms of an Irish experience,” she says, “but the literature that is available currently doesn’t really speak to what emerged in this study because it was about the physical and psychological fears that women had around it.”

This fear was an existential warning within these women’s systems saying motherhood is not the right path for me, I will lose my life if I become a mother
    She says some women in the study don’t believe being a mother is a completion of their womanhood, and the fear experienced by these women is far beyond any fear felt by first-time mothers.

“This fear was an existential warning within these women’s systems saying motherhood is not the right path for me, I will lose my life if I become a mother. I will lose my identity if I become a mother. There is nothing to gain at the end of this for me. It’s not that common story of natural fear of first-time mothers and then the baby being the reward that changes their life. That’s not how these women felt about motherhood,” explains O’Keeffe.

However, O’Keeffe says there is great freedom in this choice for these respondents: “This particular cohort of women were actively looking forward to the ageing process and the onset of menopause because that would represent being free first of all of the physical capacity to become pregnant and also being free of the intrusive questioning that people in their lives, well-meaning, nice people, but people being maybe a bit nosier than they should be.

“These people insist that ‘it’s not too late, you still have time’ but science has widened that gap between when women stop getting told what they want biologically in terms of their fertility,” she adds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Finally got some time to sit down and read this but there isn't much in there really. But I suppose any discussion about those who choose not to have children furthers the normalization of it all.

I guess overall the message is live and let live.

I suppose the idea of innate wisdom is an interesting one. The decision does feel innate in a lot of ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭notsoyoungwan

Yeah, I like the idea of an innate wisdom about it. For me, it was never an active choice, I think I’ve used the analogy of not actively choosing not to become a circus ringmaster on here before, it’s just not something I ever had to make a decision about as I never had the slightest interest or desire to have a child.

Yeah, I like the idea of an innate wisdom about it. For me, it was never an active choice, I think I’ve used the analogy of not actively choosing not to become a circus ringmaster on here before, it’s just not something I ever had to make a decision about as I never had the slightest interest or desire to have a child.

I relate to this exactly, I remember as a little kid, when we'd be saying "How many children are you going to have? I'm going to have three"; "I want to have twins" etc. And I would always respond "None". It was just completely innate to me, I simply wasn't going to have children because I just wasn't interested in that. And I still feel the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

There's a letter in the paper today about it too.

Just assume I am rolling my eyes.

I'm tempted to write a rebuttal that just says: Come visit our forum on Boards!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There's a letter in the paper today about it too.

Just assume I am rolling my eyes.

I'm tempted to write a rebuttal that just says: Come visit our forum on Boards!

What a bizarre rationale. "I made a specific decision with the aim of contributing to a humanitarian goal. That goal has been achieved for the betterment of the world and its future. Now I regret my decision of contributing to achieving that goal" :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

That sums it up exactly!

The environmental reason not to have kids is one I find provokes people a lot. I think maybe it is because people think you are criticising their choice to have kids. I always think it is similar to how I don't visit zoos as I think they are cruel and I try my best to avoid telling people that because they get super defensive. I don't give out about other people going to zoos, I just choose not to. Like the environment & kids issue, it really seems to hit a sore spot with some. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,951 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

feh. "Childlesness." Deirdre O'Keefe an 'adjunct at TCD' which means not strong enough credentials to get a full-time faculty job. Probably should be laughed off the campus for pomposity like "phenomenological hermeneutical" when she means to say, "interview."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Well, that was an, um, worthwhile contribution.

• Advertisement

It's just another, this time long winded way of saying "You'll regret it when you're older". I can't believe they printed it though, unless it was to get a laugh.

Advertisement