Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think Bank of Ireland staff are snobby?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Bank of I reland staff definitely think they are in some way the elite of the banking world. I liken them to Aer Lingus flight attendants who think they are a cut above the rest.

Give me the bubbly, busty blonde with the tight red skirt on Virgin Atlantic or even Carmelita from Madrid on Ryanair anyday over the up-her-own-arse Aer Lingus crone with a face like a bulldog licking piss off a thistle.
    Dude, such hatred over stuff that's largely in your head. Funny attitude towards women also.
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how AIB and BOI get on? do they pass each other business or do they generally hate each other?
    They hardly "hate" each other.

It's a job, pays the bills - what most ordinary people do.

Quite the wild imaginations and overthinking here!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Celchick wrote: »
    Dude, such hate over stuff that's largely in your head. Funny attitude towards women also.

They hardly "hate" each other.

It's a job, pays the bills - what most ordinary people do.

Quite the wild imaginations and overthinking here!

Not hate but I have heard staff from both of those banks running down each other. some laughing at the way the other does business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Tork wrote: »
    I don't think any of the younger crew can afford to be arrogant TBH. A job in the bank isn't what it was and I'm sure many now fear for their futures. All of the banks are shedding staff, automating branches or closing them. Everything is being pushed towards online and to banking apps. The fintechs (i.e. Revolut, N26) have proved to be better at providing what younger people want and perhaps many will never go near an Irish bank again.

A job in the bank isnt what it used to be? What used it be like? There are tonnes of better jobs in the public and private industry that pay tonnes more money than some bank teller, where you have to wear a uniform and bring back less than 30k a year in most cases of these jobs. The irony of being snobby to people who are earning more than them in many cases!

The irony of being snobby to people who are earning more than them in many cases!

Or they aren't actually being snobby, but perceived as such.

Snobbery has little to do with salaries. Some people could live off Daddy's money and not earn a cent and be very snobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

A job in the bank isnt what it used to be? What used it be like? There are tonnes of better jobs in the public and private industry that pay tonnes more money than some bank teller, where you have to wear a uniform and bring back less than 30k a year in most cases of these jobs. The irony of being snobby to people who are earning more than them in many cases!

I think back in the 80s and maybe early 90s at a push, it was seen as a "good pensionable job" kind of like nurse, teacher etc. I worked with a guy (not in a bank) whose mother was a complete snob. He said when he was younger, he used to dread Saturdays because his mother would go off to do the shopping in fine form and come back like an antichrist saying, "I was taking to John's mother, he got the bank". Like getting a job in a bank was "getting" the bank :D and it was like that every other week she'd come back and be like "Mary... You know Mary. Yeah..well she's after getting the bank". Silly woman all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭tastyt

Looks to be more snob like attitude towards people working in the bank on less money than you in this thread than the other way around ☺️

Antares35 wrote: »
    I think back in the 80s and maybe early 90s at a push, it was seen as a "good pensionable job" kind of like nurse, teacher etc. I worked with a guy (not in a bank) whose mother was a complete snob. He said when he was younger, he used to dread Saturdays because his mother would go off to do the shopping in fine form and come back like an antichrist saying, "I was taking to John's mother, he got the bank". Like getting a job in a bank was "getting" the bank :D and it was like that every other week she'd come back and be like "Mary... You know Mary. Yeah..well she's after getting the bank". Silly woman all the same.

In fairness, they were huge jobs at the time and definitely a source of pride. But, shortly after the time you reference they brought in the 'yellow pack' grades and finally today, the staff they get wouldn't be the 'pick of the parish' as it were.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

At one time a job in the bank was considered to be a desirable thing. A permanent, pensionable job with a status. That's why I said it isn't the job it was :rolleyes:

It's one of those jobs that has really been run down in recent decades

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

At one time a job in the bank was considered to be a desirable thing. A permanent, pensionable job with a status. That's why I said it isn't the job it was :rolleyes:

Accountancy will be next,

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I don't know about BOI but I've always found AIB telephone banking staff at least, to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. I've been surprised at times just how much so.

• Advertisement

You take that back! :pac:

Actually, lots of book-keeping has been automated for some time. Accountancy is more than that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

In fairness, they were huge jobs at the time and definitely a source of pride. But, shortly after the time you reference they brought in the 'yellow pack' grades and finally today, the staff they get wouldn't be the 'pick of the parish' as it were.

The pick of the parish and next and next pick have gone away, HR must be a thankless job now

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

As Clint said: ‘We all got it coming, kid’

It was a great job back in the day, it's an average job now with the added problem of huge uncertainty over the future

Whatever about more senior jobs, entry level bank official is along the same lines as retail, call centre or admin now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭Tork

Whatever about more senior jobs, entry level bank official is along the same lines as retail, call centre or admin now.

It's no walk in the park for people who aren't at entry level either. I know somebody who started working for one of the banks in the 1990s and has seen his terms and conditions worsen quite a bit over the years. He's now upskilling so he can get out of there before his job goes

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

I'm with Permo. I always have positive dealings with them.

I had a very different experience with Permantent tsb

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Lesalare wrote: »
    I don't know about BOI but I've always found AIB telephone banking staff at least, to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. I've been surprised at times just how much so.

Bank of Ireland telephone banking staff are even more helpful than AIB having dealth with both...

The BOI branch staff are inferior as regards customer service to their late 80s early 1990s counterparts...where they made the customer feel like a VIP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

This must be bash Bank of Ireland week.Its not so long ago that every bank here in this country and those gone as well screwed everyone to the wall with the government's help.Get real-all banks have the same attitude-they want your money and provide the minimum service at the highest profit.How many building societies are left now? They will or are going the same way.Credit Unions are the saints for now.

post office is the way to go. banks are all scum in my opinion, up there with insurance companies.

• Advertisement

I find it bizarre how much lack of recognition of nuance/complexity there is. Thinking that everything is just one way or the other, no matter how many people are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Have always been with BOI and found them very helpful.

Although when you see how much abuse they get on their twitter site I'm surprised they don't tell those losers to go fook themselves.

Have always been with BOI and found them very helpful.

Although when you see how much abuse they get on their twitter site I'm surprised they don't tell those losers to go fook themselves.

It might not be the best business advice I have ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It might not be the best business advice I have ever heard.

They try to answer questions but all they get is abuse, these are just people doing their job like the rest of us.

They try to answer questions but all they get is abuse, these are just people doing their job like the rest of us.

I don't condone that but we all get abuse when dealing with the general public. I doubt the staff care about a tweet, if they do then they are in the wrong job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

beachhead wrote: »
    Get real-all banks have the same attitude-they want your money and provide the minimum service at the highest profit.How many building societies are left now? They will or are going the same way.Credit Unions are the saints for now.

I guess you must have missed it....

The banks don't want your money, that is why negative interest rates are slowly becoming the norm all over Europe. And they don't want your custom because you are not paying enough to make it worth their while.

In fact the best way to become profitable if you're an Irish bank would be cull say 25% of the loss making customers and concentrate on the high fee generators.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

No. BoI is one of the few points of contact I have with customer service in Ireland and they're the complete opposite of snobby in my 30 years of dealing with them.

I don't condone that but we all get abuse when dealing with the general public. I doubt the staff care about a tweet, if they do then they are in the wrong job.
    It's not just "a" tweet though is it?

People who abuse customer service staff are scum.

I don't mean annoyance or even anger at a cock-up, but personal abuse and being aggressive is just never ok.

It's not just "a" tweet though is it?

People who abuse customer service staff are scum.

Not sure, never saw the tweets.

Yeah its not the staff I have a problem with, its the people who own and run the bank, heartless greedy thieves in some cases.

• Advertisement

I had to call BOI last week. Long wait but very friendly service eventually.

Advertisement