Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prince Philip Dies - mod warning in OP. Read it or get yourself threadbanned

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Gael23 wrote: »
    How does a funeral with full state honours work these days?

He posthumously joins the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Word emerging is that is it was autoerotic asphyxiation and found in a less than dignifying position.

That's a bit inxssive

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Gael23 wrote: »
    There won’t be any scheduled programming in BBC for the next week

I'd expect BBC 2 to be back to normal tomorrow. Cash in the attic will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Boris could have made more of an effort with his appearance when making his statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭POBox19

From the Daily Mail:
    Duke of Edinburgh, who has died aged 99, was born Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark, son of Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark and Princess Alice
    His mother Princess Alice of Battenberg was a great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria, meaning Philip was a distant relation of the British royal family
    Prince Philip was the youngest of five siblings and had four older sisters. Three of the four sisters married German aristocrats who became Nazis.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-9270491/The-fascinating-tragic-story-women-shaped-Prince-Philip.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

must have left the defrost button on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

So close to getting a letter from his wife

Hahaha, absolutely brilliant.

Hahaha, absolutely brilliant.

She’s fairly close to getting a letter from herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Will this end the Loyalist protests?
    Will they begin the mourning process?
    Methinks not.

- The other side could wind this up today big time with Celebrations etc.

Dangerous weekend ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Wonder will Boris ease restrictions for a big state funeral

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Down with all monarchies
    Enough with this useless diversion.
    The only good news is that Covid-19 will prevent a circus like funeral.
    That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Down with all monarchies
    Enough with this useless diversion.
    The only good news is that Covid-19 will prevent a circus like funeral.
    That is all.

Will it?, 32million vaccinated in UK

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Delta2113 wrote: »
    - The other side could wind this up today big time with Celebrations etc.

Dangerous weekend ahead.

Why would they bother? I know that some of their behaviors can leave a bit to be desired, but they'd want to be complete neanderthals to go celebrating this. The political wings of whoever controls them would be advising the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,813 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

RIP Philip

Will be joyous fun listening to our home grown simpering royalists talking about him in glowing terms and avoiding his racist and superiority gaffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

A real man and a proper husband. An alpha male to his children, a man that enjoyed the finer things in life and supporter his wife when it mattered. One of the most perfect humans imaginable. A role model to men.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

robinph wrote: »
    I'd expect BBC 2 to be back to normal tomorrow. Cash in the attic will return.

It better be back by Sunday for Line Of Duty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Northernlily

I have a feeling Northern Ireland will be anarchy this weekend. So Boris and media outlets, do your job and pay it the attention it deserves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

cml387 wrote: »
    It better be back by Sunday for Line Of Duty

That might be unlikely.

Expect various antique shows, house renovations and re runs of Only Fools and Horse's. New episodes of series will probably take a week off.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,441 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It will be wall to wall Prince Phillip this weekend I suspect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I have a feeling Northern Ireland will be anarchy this weekend. So Boris and media outlets, do your job and pay it the attention it deserves.
    So, you don't think this news will have any effect?

A great man. RIP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

it's funny how he was liked in ireland because he came across as a shameless racist

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭lurleen lumpkin

Poor Liz. Losing a husband and a cousin on the same day.

I simultaneously cringed and laughed at many of his gaffs.

Anyway, whenever I saw his name in a headline, I was straight in to see what he'd done this time - and fair play , he never disappoints!

I think there should be a sort of 'anti-woke-day' every 9th April. Prince Philip Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Rest in peace Prince Philip, 99 is a great age.

it's funny how he was liked in ireland because he came across as a shameless racist

Well, I think he was liked because he just refused to conform. Of course, I'll concede that's a privilege of rank.

Awww I always liked Phillip. He never discriminated just abused everyone :D

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But was he or was he just extremely prone to some very old-fashioned non-PC ways of saying things?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I remember reading that he didn't want a big funeral. They aren't typically the norm for royals, but the sovereign gets a state funeral. I don't recall Margaret having one for example. Diana wasn't supposed to get a ceremonial funeral either but the palace buckled under public pressure and gave her the same large send off that the Queen mother planned for her own funeral.

Advertisement