Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone else use bars of soap instead of shower gel?

Options

Comments

I use baby wash as shower gel. I find syndets/soaps and regular shower gels to be a bit drying but baby products are ph balanced and very gentle on the skin. Works very well and doesn't clash with cologne afterwards or irritate your special places as it's so mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Male - shower gel
    As I don't have a working shower or a bath here? Soap. "Simple Soap" at present until I can find Pears by post. Not been into a shop since before unowot arrived. Online pharmacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Make a hole in the soap and thread a bit of rope through it tie a knot and then guess what you've got :D

Jimmy Saville's soap on a rope?:p

I've recently swapped from Sanex shower cream to Sanex soap.

My friend who died in March gave me Pear's soap for Christmas last year and I'm loathe to open it just yet but I know I'll have to otherwise it'll just go for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Male - shower gel
    mud wrote: »
    Jimmy Saville's soap on a rope?:p

I've recently swapped from Sanex shower cream to Sanex soap.

My friend who died in March gave me Pear's soap for Christmas last year and I'm loathe to open it just yet but I know I'll have to otherwise it'll just go for nothing.[/QUOTE

Lucky you! Not seen Pears for years. if you want to rehome it.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I have 9 bottles of shower gel here. I keep getting them as feckin presents. I get them faster than I can use them.

My family might be trying to tell me something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 donatmoto

It's been a year since I gave up shower gel, which was often too fragrant and irritated my skin. For a year now, I have been using bars of soap, only from natural and odorless ingredients, from the Mild Soap brand; you can check their homepage and see how many nice products they have. All my family uses these products because they moisturize the skin so well. I always choose to give as gifts some bars of soap as well. Thus, I prefer to give my beloved people the products I like to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Same people who decided spreads were better than butter

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Male - soap bars

Bars of soap only for this male, Mr price usually has Palmolive, Imperial Lather, and sometimes Pears. DE razor, shaving soap and brush also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Male - shower gel

I was using sandlewood soap for a while as I love the scent of it. It was causing soap gunk to build up in the shower drainhole though. I usually now just get the really big bottles of Cien Pink Grapefruit shower gel from Lidl and use them to top up my Zara shower gel dispenser bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,733 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Male - soap bars

Pros: Less packaging, cheaper, takes up less space, not subject to liquids inspection at airports.

Don't really care what sort of soap, whatever's cheapest.

Cons: Trying to pack a wet soap bar when staying away from home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Male - shower gel

Never considered it but might do now. What about when you leave the wet soap down and it leaves soap on the counter/bath

And what about gym bags? How do people transport them? Put them into a bag after use?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,923 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Male - soap bars

Surprised how few males use Bar of Soap in shower. Gel seems pointless to me in a shower, squeeze it onto the palm of your hands and most is gone by the time you try to apply, even the bits rescued basically wash away before you get a chance to rub it in. Two handed operation required too.

A Bar of soap seems more practical, only one hand required at a time, easy to use when cleaning and especially in those areas I dare not mention 😁

I'd have thought Soap more cost effective too as Gels presumably more expensive.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

the OH uses https://donegalnaturalsoap.ie/ shampoo bars but I can't get on with them so its head and shoulders.

shower it's mostly soap bars from the supermarket. shaving is a brush and block of soap from the above, done that for years.

I'm not picky about soap or gel when I get home from my ultimate gym session. When you last as long as I do at the gym, you'd wash yourself with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

What caused the conversion to shower gel?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Ham Grenade

Only for masturbatory alignment reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I blame the Tahiti shower gel adds from the 80's ...if memory serves they were abit risque.

That and pubes in the soap bar 🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Male - shower gel

Shower gel, much more user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I can't understand why at this stage of the green war on plastic, there aren't large containers in the major supermarkets where everything can be refilled.

Such as:

shampoo...shower gel...washing machine liquid...cereals..etc

The amount of waste we could reduce would be massive.

Shower gel here for the shower and soap bars at the sinks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Yup , in fact if you could have a shower in the supermarket as you fill your container , it would all help in the green war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Male - shower gel

You are all in thrall to ‘big soap’ which has fooled you into believing that you must wash every day.

Stop washing to save the planet.

Soap dodgers unite!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Male - soap bars

Soap. Shower gel is so wasteful. Can't get a decent wash from it. Create a decent lather with your soap and you're set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It’s the length of my pubic hair that determines the quality of lather? Can be a trade-off in that regard

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Male - shower gel

Depends really, if I'm having a bath or shower I'll use shower gel mostly, but I'll use soap to wash my face and hands. I'll also use soap if I'm out of shower gel and vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A friend of mine was a single male living in a house share with three couples .

One evening they all had a house discussion to sort a number of issues in the house , one of which was pubes in the soap belonging to one of girls , he was being blamed for the pubes.

Little did they know he had his own bar of soap that he kept in a little plastic box ,when confronted he brought his little soap box to the table and pointed out his pubes on his bar of soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,933 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I made a change to soap bars a couple of years ago. It was great and they last well, not much plastic or packaging compared to shower gel. But I kept getting dry foreskin. It got chapped ans sore.

Took a while to figure out it was the soap. So it's not for me I won't go back to soap. But i would recommend trying it. Just be vigilant for any changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,779 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I think I just vomited a little.

Jesus I wouldn't even think of sharing shower soap, especially in a house share situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Soap non-existent in ours. Gels/hand wash just far more convenient.

Advertisement