Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who is Ireland's worst journalist?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

Tanya Sweeney, Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It’s easier to list the ones who aren’t rubbish.

Pretty much anyone writing in the Independent with the exception of Gene Kerrigan is a hack with no regard for journalism or integrity.

Paul Williams peddles nonsense from the Garda press office as news and seems to spend his time tearing the wire off himself to the antics of scrotes and scumbags. I was at a barbecue once with an Irish lad who was banging on about how ballsy and brilliant he is I had to f*ck off into the kitchen my head was so addled.

Fintan O’Toole is a pretentious, musing pain in the hole. Kevin Myers is like some hooray Henry caricature saying sh*t for effect.

I can’t stand any of them really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I would say probably Leo Sherlock but propagandist is probably more apt for him. Then I'd say some someone like Una Mullally for IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Has Eilis O Hanlon been mentioned yet? Another relic from the Fanning days.

Ian O’Doherty. Angry white man with opinions fires out simplistic solutions and sound bites to complex issues.

He used to be hilarious. Has got very neutered in recent years. Wonder if he is scared of getting fired from his job in a dying industry.

• Advertisement

Billy Keane's ramblings were meant to be whimsical folly in the sports pages, but mostly ended up being unfunny and boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

He used to be hilarious. Has got very neutered in recent years. Wonder if he is scared of getting fired from his job in a dying industry.

Maybe he cant find good coke anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Roisin Ingle, I don't see the point of her columns, empty ramblings saying nothing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Smee_Again wrote: »
    David Quinn.

Although he’s possibly not a journalist, more of an opinion writer/columnist.

Full time lobbyist*, really.

Dose of persecution complex too, standard fare with Iona and Catholic Right.

Covid has probably raised his profile online as he goes to the briefings and seems generally unhappy with the country's response, NPHET, both overall and re access to Mass/worship, etc. I sense he's more provocative on Twitter because he knows he can troll there in the way he's less unlikely to get away with in an interview format.

*As are some of his counterparts on the other end of the spectrum.

Just reading through Sarah Carey's Twitter timeline...

A journalist who thinks it's mandatory to have bank account to receive welfare payments.

And if your child's shoes get too small, just cut the toes out of them.

https://twitter.com/sarahcareyIRL/status/1322288276221341705

https://twitter.com/sarahcareyIRL/status/1322287155566313473

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

FTA69 wrote: »

Pretty much anyone writing in the Independent with the exception of Gene Kerrigan is a hack with no regard for journalism or integrity.

Paul Williams peddles nonsense from the Garda press office as news and seems to spend his time tearing the wire off himself to the antics of scrotes and scumbags. I was at a barbecue once with an Irish lad who was banging on about how ballsy and brilliant he is I had to f*ck off into the kitchen my head was so addled.

Fintan O’Toole is a pretentious, musing pain in the hole. Kevin Myers is like some hooray Henry caricature saying sh*t for effect.

Lol, I have to agree. After years of reading it, it's turned into click bait, sensationist, tabloid garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,484 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

FTA69 wrote: »

Kerrigan is the worst of that lot. Of course I never read any of his stuff, I just know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Billy Keane's ramblings were meant to be whimsical folly in the sports pages, but mostly ended up being unfunny and boring.

After trying to get sense from a couple of his articles, I gave up and assumed he was smoking something a bit too potent.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah that's a gas thing to say. He didn't want plebs building apartments near him and he absolutely hates cyclists. Which is generally right wing Clarkson type carry on.

Half the country hates cyclists to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Kerrigan is the worst of that lot. Of course I never read any of his stuff, I just know that.

Kerrigan has been writing the same article for 30 years. You could get a bot to generate them at this stage.

Take something that went on this week; complain about everyone and everything; offer no solutions, rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Fiona Looney.

Amanda Brunker.

She isn't a great singer either.

I'd ride her.

Roy Curtis. He's brutal. I don't know how he gets away with it. Although having said that, there are plenty of other really poor sports journalists here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

cj maxx wrote: »
    There was a sports writer ( I can’t remember his name ) who it was a chore to read . In the SW I think . All he did was write in Similes . He probably thought it was great prose

Roy Curtis

• Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Roy Curtis. He's brutal. I don't know how he gets away with it. Although having said that, there are plenty of other really poor sports journalists here too.

That’s who I was thinking of and just remembered his name. I get a headache trying to read his stories

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Walking_Wolf

Michael Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Halenvaneddie

That cycling dude Paul Kimmage
    Bitter and sour

Kerrigan has been writing the same article for 30 years. You could get a bot to generate them at this stage.

Take something that went on this week; complain about everyone and everything; offer no solutions, rinse and repeat.

To be fair, it's not his job to offer solutions. That's the job of our highly-paid leaders...who often give every appearance of not seeing that anything is wrong in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Una Mullally.

Sport - Martin Breheny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

storker wrote: »
    To be fair, it's not his job to offer solutions. That's the job of our highly-paid leaders...who often give every appearance of not seeing that anything is wrong in the first place.

It might be the job of our elected government among others to implement solutions. But identifying, suggesting or just noticing solutions would fall within the remit of anyone putting themselves forward as a commentator/analyst/expert on society and the economy. If they cannot impart or characterise a working model as alternative then what credibility has their running down the supposed deficiencies of what they think is not working.

Nexytus wrote: »
    It might be the job of our elected government among others to implement solutions. But identifying, suggesting or just noticing solutions would fall within the remit of anyone putting themselves forward as a commentator/analyst/expert on society and the economy. If they cannot impart or characterise a working model as alternative then what credibility has their running down the supposed deficiencies of what they think is not working.

Nonsense. I don't need to be a mechanic to know when my car won't start. I don't need to be a doctor to know when I'm running a fever, and you don't need to have the solution in order to be able to identify a problem. That kind of logic seems to be preferred by the of the people who don't care about the problem to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Una Mullally, although technically classed as a "contributor" :pac:

I love the way her Irish Times online headlines are so screamy and wailing.
    They seem to give free rein to go on about whatever she is moved by.

Editing is something I'd highlight more than journalism in the current media context.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

storker wrote: »
    Nonsense. I don't need to be a mechanic to know when my car won't start. I don't need to be a doctor to know when I'm running a fever, and you don't need to have the solution in order to be able to identify a problem. That kind of logic seems to be preferred by the of the people who don't care about the problem to begin with.

Is that the type and standard of journalism and commentary that you want?

"The world is terrible. I don't know how or why. But the lads in the overalls should be able to fix it. Oh woah is me isn't everything terrible"

That amounts to fruitless, impotent whining.

Thankfully most journalists don't agree with you and offer alternatives, different ideas, proposed solutions etc. They might be good, bad or indifferent and many will disagree but at least they are not pointless whingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

And some oddball will be along to complain about “angry men” if too many female journalists are mentioned.

Thanks for mansplaining Rodney...:D:D

• Advertisement

Nexytus wrote: »
    Is that the type and standard of journalism and commentary that you want?

"The world is terrible. I don't know how or why. But the lads in the overalls should be able to fix it. Oh woah is me isn't everything terrible"

I don't recall ever reading an article like that. Perhaps you could provide a link to it?
    That amounts to fruitless, impotent whining.

The first step in solving any problem is in recognizing that there is one.
    Thankfully most journalists don't agree with you and offer alternatives, different ideas, proposed solutions etc. They might be good, bad or indifferent and many will disagree but at least they are not pointless whingers.

I'm not saying that journalists shouldn't offer solutions if they believe they have them. What I am saying is that the lack of a proposed solution does not invalidate the identification of the problem (except for those who want it to and are just scrabbling around for some ammunition to shoot the messenger with).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement