Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1. IT's a tiny minority of dopes and neurotics out there calling for this stuff and it's most certainly not clustered among the young. There are just as many middle aged farts going "woke".

Fintan O'Toole had some article in the Irish Times earlier about TERFs and Trans Rights. It was paywalled so I didn't read it. But he would want to be VERY careful with the subject matter... one misplaced comma and he could be done for!

RTE won't touch that stuff with a barge pole. Ever think you'll hear a panel discussion on Brendan O'Connor about Trans? Will you fkuc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Invidious

Perhaps some do that. But you seem very keen to blame an entire generation for things you don't like. What percentage of people aged 18-29 do you think are asking for trigger warnings? Certainly a lot fewer than are watching Game of Thrones.

This is a very funny tendency on this site. People constantly lay into young people for everything that's wrong with the world, but if anyone says anything bad about older generations, they've crossed a line. You don't have to look far for for hypocrisy.

In the US at least, progressive "woke" values are most prevalent among Millennials and Generation Z, who lean far to the left of older generations on social and economic issues. There's lots of data on this. I'm sure there are many members of older generations who also endorse these values, but it's not as ubiquitous as it is among the young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Sky King wrote: »
    Fintan O'Toole had some article in the Irish Times earlier about TERFs and Trans Rights. It was paywalled so I didn't read it. But he would want to be VERY careful with the subject matter... one misplaced comma and he could be done for!

RTE won't touch that stuff with a barge pole. Ever think you'll hear a panel discussion on Brendan O'Connor about Trans? Will you fkuc.

You're lucky you couldn't read it. In a nutshell, he blames the Patriarchy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Omackeral wrote: »
    For all the equality and we are all the same rhetoric that these types go on about, they sure do love to focus on nothing but skin colour as the be-all and end-all.
    +1 The diversity types are obsessed with skin colour. Just as much as actual racists and have about the same degrees of attention only in reverse. They're also as obsessed with gender as sexists and they're far more obsessed about ever more specific labelling of people. The same crowd then claim they're against labels. They also are hardline it's nature! and hardline it's cultural" at the same time, or when it suits. So on the one hand "gender is a social construct", but with transgender it's clearly innate. You couldn't make up that level of confused cognitive dissonance if you tried.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Morathi wrote: »
    Well.... of course. The ChickThink(tm) of modern so called feminism runs through most media outlets and much of politics. And like all "woke" stuff is the same old oppressor/oppressed identity politics divisive ballsology, where one's group affiliation is all there is.

Take any "woke" identity politic and run it through this formula: [insert oppressed group here] are always agentless victims and [insert oppressor group here] are always to blame. So in feminism it's women are always agentless victims and men are always to blame. If men are even acknowledged to have their own problems then it's down to the "patriarchy", so it's still their fault. And you have gobsh1tes(and usually men) coming out with men would be better if they embraced feminism?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

When AI are smarter than wokies.

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

The Fintan O'Toole article is hilarious. He tried to white-knight the trans shouty people with his column, and they turned his sword back on him and impaled him. Don't ever try and out-woke the woke. Their victimhood knows no bounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Sheeps wrote: »
    The Fintan O'Toole article is hilarious. He tried to white-knight the trans shouty people with his column, and they turned his sword back on him and impaled him. Don't ever try and out-woke the woke. Their victimhood knows no bounds.

I’m pretty sure the headline on that article was different this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

That is maybe why there is no King of The Wokes. They would sooner or later make some small slip of the tongue and -wallop- they are cancelled.
    The Wokeys are not big on forgiveness.

I’m pretty sure the headline on that article was different this morning.

It was

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Irish Times article:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/does-ireland-have-a-diveristy-problem-at-third-level-1.4416678#.X8YR78zm-ac.twitter

Does Ireland have a diveristy problem at third level?
    A new report shows there is just one full-time black female academic professor in Irish academia

Note that the vast majority of lecturers are not professors.

I completed an MSc at UCD a couple of years ago. I genuinely am not exaggerating when I say about 65% out of the class of 90 or so were either Chinese or Indian.

Why do these morons never examine the historical context of the countries they’re having a go at before they go crying racism. Ireland does not have many black professors because it does not have many black people full stop.

There was pretty much no tradition of African immigration here until relatively recently - this is because unlike the likes of Britain and France it wasn’t Ireland going around conquering and enslaving these nations. We were not historical oppressors of these people so it fairly pisses me off that they try and use that narrative just because we are white - we had no easy time of it either from the likes of Britain.

I actually can’t fathom the mindset it requires. Imagine I moved to Myanmar and even after they’d welcomed me I was to go ****ting on them for being racists and not having enough Irish people in places of influence after a generation. I’d be rightly told to go **** myself. The likes of Joseph do a lot more damage for their cause than good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If he squeals let him go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭AllForIt

biko wrote: »
    When AI are smarter than wokies.

image.jpg

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/21/tech/ai-gender-recognition-problem/index.html

I can't see any way AI through the use of a camera pic can predict what one identifies as whether it be gender or anything else internal.

Anyway the article just shows what an absurd state of affairs we have arrived at.
    "The people producing this software are producing something that, in a small way, makes people like me miserable and keeps us miserable," Keyes told CNN Business.

That's a transgender student of Gender and Tech who busily spends their day dreaming up things to be miserable about. They keep themselves miserable if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Invidious wrote: »
    And yet many of the woke generation, while demanding trigger warnings on classic works of literature, will happily sit through Game of Thrones' endless depictions of executions, incest, mass battles, violent hand-to-hand combat, rape, slavery, castration, torture, poisoning, human sacrifice, witchcraft, and so on. It's nuts.

Not entirely true. People complained about some of the rape scenes in it. Of course, no one batted an eyelid about one of the male characters being castrated though.

Rothko wrote: »
    Not entirely true. People complained about some of the rape scenes in it. Of course, no one batted an eyelid about one of the male characters being castrated though.

Or the numerous men that get brutally killed in nearly every episode

The likes of Joseph do a lot more damage for their cause than good.

The problem is that they've got so much skin "in the game" (i.e. that racism exists, and is growing in popularity), they can never back down from complaining about it. They need racism to grow, so that they can justify their academic positions, their publications, their interviews, etc etc.

After all, if white people didn't feel guilt over race, she might be judged on a level playing field and found wanting in skill/ability. By focusing on race, she can bypass all of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Fintan O'Toole had some article in the Irish Times earlier about TERFs and Trans Rights. It was paywalled so I didn't read it. But he would want to be VERY careful with the subject matter...

Actually I remember a couple of years ago there was a trans or at least person-in-transition on his round-table show (forget what it's called) talking about the issue of puberty blockers for teenagers. He/she was quite young and had very firm views on the subject. What I found amazing was that Ciara Kelly ( a doctor, remember) was the other guest and seemed quite enthusiastic about being told what was what biologically speaking by a gender fluid teenager.

Not many subjects when doctors will allow themselves to be dictated to by unqualified lay people!

Personally, I have no opinions on transexual people and if I ever develop any, I'll be sure to keep them to myself!!

Safer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Thought so. Has he been 'cancelled' yet?

Fintan is obviously a smart guy. I'd have thought he'd have known better than to wade into the middle of that.

Edit: I just read the comments under his twitter post linking to the article. Lol. Fkin hell. People arguing with each other about sub divisions of definitions. Who can be wokest!?

This movement is going to eat itself.

Personally, I have no opinions on transexual people and if I ever develop any, I'll be sure to keep them to myself!!

Safer

Well in that case you are part of the problem :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Fintan is obviously a smart guy. I'd have thought he'd have known better than to wade into the middle of that.

Edit: I just read the comments under his twitter post linking to the article. Lol. Fkin hell. People arguing with each other about sub divisions of definitions. Who can be wokest!?

You are right there I'd say but it will probably do a lot of damage, destroy some careers, and create some stupid new legislation along the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Omackeral wrote: »
    For all the equality and we are all the same rhetoric that these types go on about, they sure do love to focus on nothing but skin colour as the be-all and end-all.

I listened to an interview with a British woman of Pakistani descent recently. She was 30ish and was recalling her time as an intern at the BBC when she was around 21. She said she had never been made to feel so aware of her ethnicity than when she was at the Beeb to the point that it made her feel really uncomfortable. Everything she was asked, every task, had to do with her ethnicity rather than her as an individual. She said the worst thing to happen to her was when a higher up (a progressive who was supposedly on her side) told her she’d forever be held back because of her ethnicity, that doors would be shut in her face for that reason. This was this person thinking they were being helpful. She said at 21, she took it to heart and felt totally demoralised. She said with hindsight she realised how stifling this supposedly progressive organisation was. She wasn’t a individual, she was a colour.

^^ The BBC is Europe's Woke headquarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Actually I remember a couple of years ago there was a trans or at least person-in-transition on his round-table show (forget what it's called) talking about the issue of puberty blockers for teenagers. He/she was quite young and had very firm views on the subject. What I found amazing was that Ciara Kelly ( a doctor, remember) was the other guest and seemed quite enthusiastic about being told what was what biologically speaking by a gender fluid teenager.

Not many subjects when doctors will allow themselves to be dictated to by unqualified lay people!

Safer

how is that surprising ? , Ciara Kelly is an ambitious career woman , you dont question the "Trans" sacred cow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Fintan has now found himself stuck in the middle of a WOKE purity war

its fcuking hilarious

She said at 21, she took it to heart and felt totally demoralised. She said with hindsight she realised how stifling this supposedly progressive organisation was. She wasn’t a individual, she was a colour.
    Not a shock ODB. That's one of the many problems with this identity politics bollocks. Individuals are not seen, rather group affiliations are. She wasn't Marium or whomever, an individual with all the variability, hopes, dreams, failures and successes that that implies and delivers. No she is Cisgender, Straight/Gay/Bi[add many letters here], a Woman, a Colour, an Ethnic Minority, depending on whom was looking. Oh and certainly a Victim to all of them(There aren't enough of these :rolleyes: to go around). She was pigeon holed just as completely as a thick skinhead would pigeon hole and see her as a "Paki". If anything the "woke" brigade pigeon hole and restrict her even more. Then again all such types have an irony and self awareness bypass as part of their initiation into their political cult.
    It already is on a few levels. Regard how many of the intersectional right on feminists are butting heads against the intersectional right on transgenders. Though in this case - and for a nice change - I'm on the feminists side. Well no, I'm on women's side. Feminists can go hang. There was a time when one could ignore the ChickThink radicals on the fringe, but that fringe has largely gone mainstream and increasingly daft, screechy, whinging and contradictory and will never be satisfied. Though apparently we're still living under a "patriarchy". If I rolled my eyes any further I could conceivably see the inside of the back of my skull.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

It's reassuring to see that AH and its denizens haven't changed much over the years. :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Morathi wrote: »

Wow, I sure didn't see that coming... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

I listened to an interview with a British woman of Pakistani descent recently. She was 30ish and was recalling her time as an intern at the BBC when she was around 21. She said she had never been made to feel so aware of her ethnicity than when she was at the Beeb to the point that it made her feel really uncomfortable. Everything she was asked, every task, had to do with her ethnicity rather than her as an individual. She said the worst thing to happen to her was when a higher up (a progressive who was supposedly on her side) told her she’d forever be held back because of her ethnicity, that doors would be shut in her face for that reason. This was this person thinking they were being helpful. She said at 21, she took it to heart and felt totally demoralised. She said with hindsight she realised how stifling this supposedly progressive organisation was. She wasn’t a individual, she was a colour.

Don't shoot me down here, but I would be genuinely interested in hearing this. I'm interested in first hand accounts of problems like this in the media.
    Any idea at all where you heard this or what her name waa or anything?

Wibbs wrote: »
    Not a shock ODB. That's one of the many problems with this identity politics bollocks. Individuals are not seen, rather group affiliations are. She wasn't Marium or whomever, an individual with all the variability, hopes, dreams, failures and successes that that implies and delivers. No she is Cisgender, Straight/Gay/Bi[add many letters here], a Woman, a Colour, an Ethnic Minority, depending on whom was looking. Oh and certainly a Victim to all of them(There aren't enough of these :rolleyes: to go around). She was pigeon holed just as completely as a thick skinhead would pigeon hole and see her as a "Paki". If anything the "woke" brigade pigeon hole and restrict her even more. Then again all such types have an irony and self awareness bypass as part of their initiation into their political cult.

It already is on a few levels. Regard how many of the intersectional right on feminists are butting heads against the intersectional right on transgenders. Though in this case - and for a nice change - I'm on the feminists side. Well no, I'm on women's side. Feminists can go hang. There was a time when one could ignore the ChickThink radicals on the fringe, but that fringe has largely gone mainstream and increasingly daft, screechy, whinging and contradictory and will never be satisfied. Though apparently we're still living under a "patriarchy". If I rolled my eyes any further I could conceivably see the inside of the back of my skull.

I've had a discussion with a few friends who insisted they were feminists. I asked if they identify with the extreme types. No, of course not. Well, I said, they're becoming the mainstream. If you want people like you to support feminism then people like you need to keep feminism for people like you. It's gone beyond that now, mainstream feminism is all about what were fringe types even a decade ago.

• Advertisement

km991148 wrote: »
    Don't shoot me down here, but I would be genuinely interested in hearing this. I'm interested in first hand accounts of problems like this in the media.
    Any idea at all where you heard this or what her name waa or anything?

On a related note however, I'm sure that there are plenty who go in with those preconceptions or are convinced by them. To make things compatible an idea will form that "Well if it's this bad at the BBC imagine how bad it is everywhere else".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement