Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Lot of anger over something as inoffensive as an inclusive “term” in here tonight.
    Who's angry? This lunacy is hilarious. "Womxn"! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Gradius wrote: »
    Saw a cafe in town called "the woke cup".

Just too on the nose. Then again, considering their target audience...

On a completely separate note I'd like to announce the opening of Dublin's newest bespoke artisanal food ingestion area for the socially oblivious, "Agitating Fook"

Meet like-minded no-mind's and learn new ways to be as disconnected from reality as possible while unemployed and sipping a 6 euro coffee for 4 hours. Be there, or be racist :)

Artis-anal :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

It's been going on a lot longer than you think-Tom Wolfe wrote In the Land of the Rococo Marxists in 2000:

"May I offer an arch and perhaps familiar but clear example? Recently I came across a woman at one of our top universities who taught a course in Feminist Theory and gave her students F’s if they spelled the plural of the female of the species “women” on a test or in a paper. She insisted on “womyn,” since the powers that be, at some point far back in the mists of
    history, had built male primacy into the very language itself by making “women” 60 percent “men.” How did the students react? They shrugged. They have long since learned the futility of objecting to Rococo Marxism. They just write “womyn” and go about the business of grinding out a credit in the course."

(Free pdf easily found with Google.)

I also remember a little book my dad brought home back in the 80s called The Private Eye Book of Wimmin (from the magazine) which was full of this kind of stuff ("herstory" etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

What about the term men? Is that offensive? Do we need to change it to mxn?

I remember being in the LGB society back in college and there was such a fúckin hoo ha about adding the T. Then there was a Q. Thankfully I graduated to the real world then but it seems they've been busy stapling on every letter of the alphabet since.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Who's angry? This lunacy is hilarious. "Womxn"! :D

Indeed, immensely entertained but certainly not anxry! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

sabat wrote: »
    It's been going on a lot longer than you think-Tom Wolfe wrote In the Land of the Rococo Marxists in 2000:

"May I offer an arch and perhaps familiar but clear example? Recently I came across a woman at one of our top universities who taught a course in Feminist Theory and gave her students F’s if they spelled the plural of the female of the species “women” on a test or in a paper. She insisted on “womyn,” since the powers that be, at some point far back in the mists of
    history, had built male primacy into the very language itself by making “women” 60 percent “men.” How did the students react? They shrugged. They have long since learned the futility of objecting to Rococo Marxism. They just write “womyn” and go about the business of grinding out a credit in the course."

(Free pdf easily found with Google.)

I also remember a little book my dad brought home back in the 80s called The Private Eye Book of Wimmin (from the magazine) which was full of this kind of stuff ("herstory" etc.)
    Yeah that stuff is pro women but it's nonsensical - and never made the mainstream.

This toxic crap is anti women though and is creeping into pockets of the mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

2+2=5

Yes its real and a great many Math Professors are arguing the case, as Mathematical 'truth' is racist and rooted in White Supremacism apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Yeah that stuff is pro women but it's nonsensical - and never made the mainstream.

This toxic crap is anti women though and is creeping into pockets of the mainstream.

Maybe it was a slipstream, frouydeun slip...

Hopefully it'll be washed out into the Atlantic Ocean and drift between two boulders on an island in the Bermuda triangle and get sucked into a black hole and forever be banished from existence..

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

2+2=5

Yes its real and a great many Math Professors are arguing the case, as Mathematical 'truth' is racist and rooted in White Supremacism apparently.

Did a White Suprematician tell you that?

2+2=5

Which of your usual grifters sold you that line?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Weight Watchers was renamed as WW, because, you know...

and despite it being initials now, it takes twice as long to say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

2+2=5

Have you a link for this line of argument?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Woke, another fcuking bullsh1t term!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,877 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Woke, another fcuking bullsh1t term!

In fairness, "woke" has been around for decades in the African American community as an awareness of police discrimination and how to confront/avoid it. The current form got cultrually approriated by the modern day SJW crowd.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Have you a link for this line of argument?

Good thread on it here

Started off with a cartoon saying depending on context, 2+ 2 might not always equal 4, and someone responding "help me respond to all those haters who said my ethnic studies framework claimed 2+2=5... how can we turn this into a true statement?"

https://twitter.com/wokal_distance/status/1290479330477240320

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Who was the journalist who was saying Friends was racist and sexist? This was from a year or two ago, there was a thread about him.

Hardly Eoghan McDermott?

Actually, it probably was

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Hardly Eoghan McDermott?

Actually, it probably was

No wasnt him, wasnt a well known name.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

No wasnt him, wasnt a well known name.

Chandler?

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

2+2=5

Good thread on it here

Started off with a cartoon saying depending on context, 2+ 2 might not always equal 4, and someone responding "help me respond to all those haters who said my ethnic studies framework claimed 2+2=5... how can we turn this into a true statement?"

So it's nothing to do with a "a great many math professors" claiming that Mathematical truth is rooted in white supremacism. It's just a handful of nobodies on Twitter doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭CarProblem

It's not anger

It's not but its convenient to dismiss people who go against the trendy bollox as "angry" - saves them having to actually debate with you.

You see it all the time on here, point out a contradiction and the reply is often words to the effect of "well if you're too thick to see the difference I'm not going to explain it"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭Cordell

his is a screenshot of people saying 2+2=5. You read that right...2+2=5.

Among them are teachers, educators, and professors who plan on teaching this stuff to your children. So let's talk about what's going on here, why they're doing this, and how we can stop it.

And some of those people are right for the right reasons: 2+2 is not always 4, depending on the context, the cartoon explains the most obvious case. But sure, there are idiots who bring the culture and diversity here, and idiots who think that the primary school maths is all there is to it.

Chandler?

Bing!

So it's nothing to do with a "a great many math professors" claiming that Mathematical truth is rooted in white supremacism. It's just a handful of nobodies on Twitter doing it.

There was plenty more than just those few screenshots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

the factory example in that twitter yoke is hilarious. 2+2=5 if you take 2 to mean 2.5. Using maths to refute maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,836 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

There was plenty more than just those few screenshots

Yes, but were any of them maths professors, and did they represent a significant number of the maths professors world wide?

I'm not saying it's not valid material for this thread - it clearly is. Just that the claim that a "great number" of maths professors are taking the position that mathematics is an inherently racist endeavour is preposterous without proof.

Just saw this on the film forum:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058111762

Only diverse films will be considered for Best Picture at the Oscars

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/film/oscars-to-introduce-diversity-targets-for-best-picture-hopefuls-1.4350496?mode=amp

And so evaporates the last modicum of residual interest I had in the academy awards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

I think this thread is a great idea, because it'll stop people from getting banned from other thread's.

It's a great place to share one's thoughts on the stupidity of the woke culture...

• Advertisement

Just saw this on the film forum:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058111762

Only diverse films will be considered for Best Picture at the Oscars

Absolutely disgraceful. Pathetic shoehorning and tokenism is the way forward apparently.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement