Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How was your last day of school?

• 26-06-2020 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,172 ✭✭✭✭

Now, I know things are different this year.
    My last day of primary school was a great day. It sort of the end of something good and whilst looking forward to the next chapter and growing up.
    We signed shirts and generally there was a good vibe around the school and people were looking forward to the holidays. It was a boys school and there was no tears and hugs,etc.
    There was terrible thunder and lightning that evening and we met up in town for chips,pizza.

Whilst with secondary school I basically stopped going at the end of April apart from the odd day in May. Lots did this also. We got a text on about the 11th of May to say we were finished for the year. I don’t think they wanted trouble. Did my exams and was done with the place.

How was your last day of school?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't actually remember!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Veronica Guerin was murdered on the day I finished primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I finished a course just two months ago ..i can't even remember the last day of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

The only thing I remember from my last day of primary school was going into the principals office and asking for the return of my previously confiscated spud gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

My year was “politely” asked not to come back 2 weeks before the end of term.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

My year was “politely” asked not to come back 2 weeks before the end of term.

Was there a minor scandal involving a soggy biscuit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I remember it was unbelievably hot and sunny on the day I finished primary. Everyone was hugging and signing shirts etc. I remember rushing out the gate and walking home as fast possible thinking ugh, I hate that sentimental crap!

I finished second level on my 18th birthday. I had changed schools fairly recently but made a few good acquaintances there but who were not really friends. We met up in the Bleeding Horse for a few drinks that evening to mark the finish of school, and I never saw any of them again after that.

The teachers had a party for us and our families and I was bawling by the time we were out the gates, certain I'd never make a functioning adult. Still not sure about that. I liked school.

Couldn't wait to get out of primary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,526 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Was there a minor scandal involving a soggy biscuit?

Haha, no. Nothing so seedy, J. If you’ll pardon the pun.

No, there were a number of, shall we say, “unruly”, pranks and some light rumpus followed.

Needless to say, the dean didn’t take to kindly to it and we were told to go home and not to come back until sitting the Leaving Cert.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Haha, no. Nothing so seedy, J. If you’ll pardon the pun.

No, there were a number of, shall we say, “unruly”, pranks and some light rumpus followed.

Needless to say, the dean didn’t take to kindly to it and we were told to go home and not to come back until sitting the Leaving Cert.

Light rumpus? Did this take place in 1878 or something?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭billyhead

I can recall for secondary school bringing eggs in and pelting the teachers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I finished a course just two months ago ..i can't even remember the last day of that!

That doesn't surprise me at all for some reason.

Can barely remember it at all. I was just so glad to be getting out of it that if I had to guess I vaguely remember not going in for the last few days.

That doesn't surprise me at all for some reason.

“So glad to be fini........oh look a bird!”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Uneventful. The weather was good which helped and I was glad to see the back of the place. There was talk of a reunion one time but there were too many quarrels between the ppl in my year so it was called off. Hate when I meet a teacher from back then and they start reminiscing and talking like we were all great friends then, simply wasn't the case and a good lot of them were making my life miserable with their backward oldschool ways

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I had a serious horn for my french teacher. I was probably daydreaming about riding her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,346 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Ditched the uniform and wore civies as was the plan but the others chickened out or mammy said no.
    Headmaster then expelled me , with a smile and called me a rebel. I was after finishing my last exam. He was only taking the piss and saying goodbye in his own way

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

I honestly can't remember my last day.
    But i do remember the atmosphere in the last week or two.

A lot more relaxed, which felt a bit strange.
    A lot of students staying at home.
    Mixed with anxiety about exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭buried

Much like 97% of my time within the system as a whole, I don't remember much of it either. Formulaic nonsense will have a tendency to do that.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

My year (which was a very troublesome year) were told the day before our supposed last day to not turn up to the school or the Garda will be called.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I finished school in 1984,can't remember yesterday much less my last day of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Primary school was glad to see the back of it
    The CB were akin to the spanish inquisition.
    Secondary school was like rehabilitation but I was glad to see the back of both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Primary school? I just remember all the signed shirts and one fella saying "my Mam said not to get it signed" so naturally he was covered by lunchtime. I wrote my name and number like a football jersey on the back but it came through on the desk quite visibly. The teacher was cool about it though and said "don't worry that's another job for Tom (the caretaker) during the summer.

Secondary, was strange, you had the final day before the Leaving but the 6th years were always left out a week earlier than the rest of the school, then the final exam was Business I think so less than half of us sat that. We did have a Mass after that the final exam and we all went in town boozing on dodgy ids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I don't remember Primary school last day, we certainly where not going around signing shirts anyways.

As for Secondary, a mix of relief, it was the last day of some LC exam which I was badly performing in, then the realization I would imagine one gets when released from prison and when you momentarily don't know what to do with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Primary school was the signed shirts and ripping the front pocket off other people's shirts for a joke. A few mothers weren't happy as they were hoping to reuse them for the first year of secondary school and save some cash!

Secondary school I just left one day and never went back. I was sick of the teachers, a lot of people in my year were w@nkers and I was regularly bullied and I just had enough and got up in the middle of a class and walked out and walked home and that was that. I don't really speak to anyone I knew in school, even the ones I was friendly with and that suits me just fine. Glad to be shot of them and Im much happier in life now.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd like to say I remember, but I really don't. I recall people handing around their confirmation booklets to be signed, but there was a lot of, "Oh well, so long, won't ever see you again". That's about it.

Secondary school, definitely don't remember the last school day. I barely even went in for the last month or so.
    After the last exam, loads of people were finished-finished on that day, but lots had an exam at 2pm. My last exam was at 9am, I was home by 11. We were in the process of moving house and my parents had already moved to the new house, so I went back to the old, mostly empty house, got changed, a couple of mates came over and we did a few shots of vodka before heading into to town to meet everyone else in the pub in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I think it was the Leaving Cert Art exam.
    For some stupid reason I put my name down for Art although we did not do Art.
    That brain fart prolonged my school life by a day. Then I went home.
    There were no graduations back then. I believe kindergarten children dress up in cloak and mortar boards now and graduate.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Primary school? I just remember all the signed shirts and one fella saying "my Mam said not to get it signed" so naturally he was covered by lunchtime. I wrote my name and number like a football jersey on the back but it came through on the desk quite visibly. The teacher was cool about it though and said "don't worry that's another job for Tom (the caretaker) during the summer.

Secondary, was strange, you had the final day before the Leaving but the 6th years were always left out a week earlier than the rest of the school, then the final exam was Business I think so less than half of us sat that. We did have a Mass after that the final exam and we all went in town boozing on dodgy ids.

????

6 years in your secondary school. Why the need for dodgy ids? Surely 95% or thereabouts would have been at least 18 at that stage. Or did ye not have the foresight to get current id's? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

????

6 years in your secondary school. Why the need for dodgy ids? Surely 95% or thereabouts would have been at least 18 at that stage. Or did ye not have the foresight to get current id's? :P
    razorblunt showing off his age - there was a time that most secondary school was 5 years. 4th year was optional and most schools didn't even offer it up until 1994.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,172 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

PFMC84 wrote: »
    Primary school was the signed shirts and ripping the front pocket off other people's shirts for a joke. A few mothers weren't happy as they were hoping to reuse them for the first year of secondary school and save some cash!

Ripping pockets of shirt was very popular when I was at school. When it was noticed somebody had a new shirt it would be everybody's goal to rip the pocket off!

Advertisement