Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Just the 21 km tall too :eek:

Just 12-ish km taller than Everest. I wonder if oxygen is required :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Olympus Mons is so big that if you were standing on the Martian surface, you wouldn't actually see it all. And if you were standing on the top of it, you wouldn't realise you were on such a high mountain. The gradient averages at only 5 degrees, and because Mars is small the horizon is only 3km away (at average human head height), so from any vantage point - on it or off it - you'd only be seeing a small part of the structure.

Looks like there are some steep cliffs along parts of its rim. Would be class to see up close.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

and an easy stroll to the top.

It would be, actually. On Mars you'd weigh only 38% of your Earth weight, so on Mars you could climb something 2.6 times higher for the same effort that you would expend on Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,098 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It would be, actually. On Mars you'd weigh only 38% of your Earth weight, so on Mars you could climb something 2.6 times higher for the same effort that you would expend on Earth.

I know, that's why i said it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

apart from the lack of oxygen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Yep. The Apollo crews had a tough task hill climbing on the moon and their heart rates went up quite significantly. Lot of extra weight to carry, and an awkward gait too.

Can't remember which Apollo it was - 16 maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

And then you put the spacesuit on...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

1981 Bathymetry Map of Lake Michigan, USA

11417_0mqjm18yrgrbxj20.jpeg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

hh3sBEa.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

zgC0Eey.png

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/theres-a-new-ocean-now-can-you-name-all-five-southern-ocean
    Since National Geographic began making maps in 1915, it has recognized four oceans: the Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, and Arctic Oceans. Starting on June 8, World Oceans Day, it will recognize the Southern Ocean as the world’s fifth ocean.

“The Southern Ocean has long been recognized by scientists, but because there was never agreement internationally, we never officially recognized it,” says National Geographic Society Geographer Alex Tait.
    Inside the ACC, the waters are colder and slightly less salty than ocean waters to the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

That would have stumped me in a quiz.

vR9YJhH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Hasn't this been the case for a good few years? Maybe National Geographic are just playing catch-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,888 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

KevRossi wrote: »
    Hasn't this been the case for a good few years? Maybe National Geographic are just playing catch-up?

Yeah, that's the point of the article and the post (see the quote in it). NG are only getting around to recognising it now.

KevRossi wrote: »

It has always been referred to as such in Australia, for as long as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Interesting series of old maps and links here https://atlantic-cable.com/Maps/

First one, 1850's, the route survey bathymetry for the first transatlantic cable from Valentia to Newfoundland. Always been interested in these old charts, considering all the data was acquired under sail, lead line soundings, a sextant and a chronometer. The beginning of what would eventually become the internet.

Blackie-Atlantic-Ocean-1857.jpg

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

My daughter inherited a pendant from her grandmother which features a cross section of that cable between glass windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

The cable consisted of seven copper wires, each weighing 26 kg/km (107 pounds per nautical mile), covered with three coats of gutta-percha (as suggested by Jonathan Nash Hearder[16]), weighing 64 kg/km (261 pounds per nautical mile), and wound with tarred hemp, over which a sheath of 18 strands, each of seven iron wires, was laid in a close helix. It weighed nearly 550 kg/km (1.1 tons per nautical mile), was relatively flexible and was able to withstand a pull of several tens of kilonewtons (several tons).

The cable from the Gutta Percha Company was armoured separately by wire rope manufacturers, as was the usual practice at the time. In the rush to proceed, only four months were allowed for completion of the cable.[17] As no wire rope maker had the capacity to make so much cable on that timescale, the task was shared by two English firms – Glass, Elliot & Co., of Greenwich, and R.S. Newall and Company, of Birkenhead.[18] Late in manufacturing it was discovered that the respective sections had been made with strands twisted in opposite directions.[19] This meant that the two sections of cable could not be directly spliced wire-to-wire as the iron wire on both cables would unwind when it was put under tension during laying.[20] The problem was easily solved by splicing through an improvised wooden bracket to hold the wires in place,[21] but the mistake subsequently became magnified in the public mind.[19]

qQKrJr0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,294 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

When did Chicago overtake NY in population? Or have I been under completely wrong impression my whole life?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Collie D wrote: »
    When did Chicago overtake NY in population? Or have I been under completely wrong impression my whole life?
    It hasn't.

What they're showing is not Chicago but what is referred to as Chicagoland, the entire urban conurbation that covers Chicago, its suburbs in Illinois and Northern Indiana.

Some of the people living in this area may never have set foot in Chicago proper in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭chooseusername

It hasn't.

What they're showing is not Chicago but what is referred to as Chicagoland, the entire urban conurbation that covers Chicago, its suburbs in Illinois and Northern Indiana.

Some of the people living in this area may never have set foot in Chicago proper in their lives.
    If the same was were to be done for New York , ie; include Newark, New Jersey etc. it would be over 20 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

qQKrJr0.png

The population density for Ireland is 186 people per square mile. The equivalent population area for New York has a population density of 13. You'd have better craic in Leitrim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in the northern territories in canada, population density is 0.1 per sq mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭yagan

The population density for Ireland is 186 people per square mile. The equivalent population area for New York has a population density of 13. You'd have better craic in Leitrim.
    I think in the maps above it's New York cities and attached burroughs rather than NY state, which can be extremely rural and underpopulated in most parts.

I’m not sure what you mean here.

The population density of New York City is 27,000 people per square mile. Even the entire state averages at 412. Maybe there’s some rural areas in the State with only 13 people in a square mile area, but it’s not indicative of the city, or state as a whole entity.

What do you mean by “equivalent population area”? An area in New York with the same population as Ireland? Or the population of an area of New York with the same size as Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I’m not sure what you mean here.

The population density of New York City is 27,000 people per square mile. Even the entire state averages at 412. Maybe there’s some rural areas in the State with only 13 people in a square mile area, but it’s not indicative of the city, or state as a whole entity.

What do you mean by “equivalent population area”? An area in New York with the same population as Ireland? Or the population of an area of New York with the same size as Ireland?

Think the population density of the red area equivalent to the population of new york is 13

retalivity wrote: »
    Think the population density of the red area equivalent to the population of new york is 13

Ah, I understand now. Obviously haven’t fully woken up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Ah, I understand now. Obviously haven’t fully woken up yet.

I wouldn't worry, I've been looking at the map since it was posted and have only just now sussed out what it represents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

in the northern territories in canada, population density is 0.1 per sq mile.

There's a very good reason for that.

Advertisement