Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If Ireland could replicate one aspect of another country or city....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Cops like Rio, to make all the no hopers disappear. Genuine cases could be cared for by organisations, organised beggars have no right to be on the streets harassing people.

What country has:

1. the people cultured enough to respect and protect the environment around them?

2. the people who have enough breeding not to litter?

3. the people with enough philosophy to know they are privileged guests on this planet, custodians of our world for those who come after us?

4. the people with enough wisdom to be aware that in this part of the world we are all, to varying degrees, essentially recipients of the best gifts the lottery of life can offer, and consequently be a bit kinder to people less fortunate than us in our very, very short time in this beautiful world?

5. the men with basic hygiene levels who can use toilets and toilet seats with respect for the person who arrives after them?

I would like Ireland to emulate that society.

That is a top post.

I wouldn’t consider myself an eco warrior or anything, but the absolute need less damage we do as a species is just mind blowing.

I mean, why is any retailer still selling or providing plastic straws? Why do use cream shops give out plastic spoons?

I say let’s take matters in to our own hands. Why wait for politicians to ban single use plastics, when we could just stop using them or boycott shops that provide them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What does that even mean?

A lot of people here seem to be listing stereotypes. The grass is always greener and all that.

It means that the average VOCAL Irish cyclist wouldn't last five minutes on the infrastructure in the Netherlands et al without someone dragging them off and giving them a few slaps. People cycle around at a sedate pace with some wherewithal of what's going on around them, not like they're competing in the tour de France.

There a fecking reason it's call a 'dutch style' bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

jaxxx wrote: »
    ^ Along with judges who have the cop-on and morality to dish out actual justice and not pathetically short sentences with pathetic early release excuses.

Sent judges back to Maths school.
    4 years + 3 years equals 7 years. Not 4 years with 2 suspended and out in 18 months.
    If a scrote is caught commiting ANY crime while out on bail, then all bail should be revocked until all and any crime hearings are completed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It means that the average VOCAL Irish cyclist wouldn't last five minutes on the infrastructure in the Netherlands et al without someone dragging them off and giving them a few slaps. People cycle around at a sedate pace with some wherewithal of what's going on around them, not like they're competing in the tour de France.

What's an "average VOCAL Irish cyclist"?

The Netherlands is flat, Ireland is not. A dutch style bike is not going to be very effective on a long hilly commute. The infrastructure is also not there. Are you really suggesting that cyclists move at a sedate pace (slowly?). From your description, doesn't sound like you ever set foot in the Netherlands, sedate is the last word I would describe a Dutch cyclist.

Your post is full of hyperbole.

Sounds to me that you're just envious looking at cyclists passing you as you sit in traffic :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

End concurrent sentencing for repeat offenders.

Decriminalise possession for personal use.

End this half hearted tinkering with the housing market - either do it properly and build loads of social housing for anyone who needs it or stay the hell out of it and allow the market work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Even if we had the cycling infrastructure like in the Netherlands I would say there would be still some idiots who continue to cycle on the road. They would probably be the ones that have an attitude of superiority thinking that cars, trucks and buses should have to slow down just to facilitate them. They would also probably upload the footage to YouTube every time someone driving steps out of line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

The whole judicial system in this country needs to be completely revamped. There are way too many dangerous individuals walking the streets with tons of convictions that should be locked up for long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Pompous

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Even if we had the cycling infrastructure like in the Netherlands I would say there would be still some idiots who continue to cycle on the road.

Not a chance. The reason cyclists here use roads when there is 'cycling infrastructure' in place is because they are downgraded to pedestrian status at every single junction. This does not happen in the Netherlands at all and a cyclist would have absolutely no motivation to be on the roads.
    They would probably be the ones that have an attitude of superiority thinking that cars, trucks and buses should have to slow down just to facilitate them.

Not sure if you are referring to this hypothetical situation of Dublin with proper infrastructure, or Dublin as it is today. I suspect the latter and shall address this point as such.

Some cyclists do have an attitude of superiority and it gives all cyclists a bad name, it's a terrible thing to see whether you're a mature cycling enthusiast or a motorist or a pedestrian. That being said, sometimes cars, trucks and buses should have to slow down to facilitate them. Just like they have to slow down to facilitate all road users. This is not an outlandish concept and seems to be at the heart of most of the hatred towards cyclists in this country. This deeply embedded idea that they have no right to exist in the first place.

I am genuinely curious as to where this attitude originated.
    They would also probably upload the footage to YouTube every time someone driving steps out of line.

I know the type of cyclist you're talking about. It's a very childish way to be carrying on. But sure at least they're not doing any harm... for the most part.

Apologies if I am derailing the thread but I felt I had some valid points to make in response to this comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The whole judicial system in this country needs to be completely revamped. There are way too many dangerous individuals walking the streets with tons of convictions that should be locked up for long time.

Its totally fcuked up when someone with a string of convictions, who commits a crime whilst on bail, gets bailed again free to walk the streets and commit further crimes, then to get all their crimes heard at the same time to have all sentencing run concurrently.
    That's just taking the p!ss and making a fool of the Garda and judiciary.

• Advertisement

What's an "average VOCAL Irish cyclist"?

The Netherlands is flat, Ireland is not. A dutch style bike is not going to be very effective on a long hilly commute. The infrastructure is also not there. Are you really suggesting that cyclists move at a sedate pace (slowly?). From your description, doesn't sound like you ever set foot in the Netherlands, sedate is the last word I would describe a Dutch cyclist.

Your post is full of hyperbole.

Sounds to me that you're just envious looking at cyclists passing you as you sit in traffic :P

See the cycling forum.

I cycle myself and also drive. I try not to be a wanker when doing both. Something the vast majority of cyclists and motorists do. MAMIL cycling two abreast 'cos they can' on the other hand...

Plenty of experience of Dutch cyclists in a couple of major cities. Maybe they're different in rural areas but in Amsterdam and Nijmegen from what I've seen they use it as a means of transportation rather than some badge of twatery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Pretty sure there's already threads on Boards dedicated to "4 wheels good, 2 wheels bad" and vice versa.

Or several of them.

Pretty sure there's already threads on Boards dedicated to "4 wheels good, 2 wheels bad" and vice versa.

Or several of them.

Fair enough no more mention of the lycra clad cnuts from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Cops like Rio, to make all the no hopers disappear. Genuine cases could be cared for by organisations, organised beggars have no right to be on the streets harassing people.

Puzzled. I've never been harassed by a beggar in Ireland.

Haven't been in Holland, have you?

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Haven't been in Holland, have you?

Holland and the Gelderland thanks chap. Although as you're probably aware someone can visit the Netherlands and never set foot in Holland. On yer bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

seachto7 wrote: »
    Squares like you have on the continent where people can go and sit and have a coffee at a terrace etc. parks should have these little cafes too.
    Also little food places by the sea like on the continent. No reason we couldn’t have covered ones as we have the coast for it.
    There is nowhere really to go and sit in Dublin city, like a square or plaza to enjoy the weather when it is fine other than a park bench. I live in malahide and the only place in the village to sit out for a coffee is by an intersection and it’s a wine bar. Joke.

St. Stephen’s Green.
    Opened in 1880, St. Stephen’s Green is perhaps Dublin’s most well-known Georgian square.

Mounty Square.
    Planned and developed in the late 18th century by Luke Gardiner, the 1st Viscount Mountjoy, Mountjoy Square was once Dublin’s most prestigious Georgian square.

Parnell Square.
    Perched at the end of O’ Connell Street, Dublin’s main thoroughfare, Parnell Square is the oldest Georgian square in the city.

Merrion Square.
    One of the best surviving Georgian Squares in Dublin, Merrion Square’s architecture has remained unchanged for 200 years. Most notably the west side of the square has the Natural History Museum, the National Gallery and Leinster House.

Fitzwilliam Square.
    Only a stone's throw south of Merrion Square, Fitzwilliam Square is the smallest and the last of the last of the five Dublin Georgian squares to be completed.

Temple Bar Square.
    The heart and soul of Dublin’s historical and cultural activities, Temple Bar Square is a spot popular with tourists. The area is a historical hodgepodge as it was once a medieval suburb that was redeveloped in the 1600’s for British families and then again in the late 20th century to become the vibrant spot in the city filled with pubs and restaurants.

Meeting House Square
    Just around the corner from Temple Bar Square hidden down a small walkway is the much more contemporary Meeting House Square. It is Dublin’s newest square, only opening in 2011.

Mayor Square.
    Located in the IFSC, Ireland’s financial epicentre, Mayor Square is another square that shows off a more cutting-edge side to the city. Surrounded by Dublin’s modern architectural additions including the Samuel Beckett Bridge, IFSC House and the Convention Centre

Grand Canal Dock.
    Nicknamed Silicon Docks, Grand Canal Dock is fast becoming one of the trendiest squares in Dublin. Home to tech companies such as Facebook, Google and Airbnb.

Smithfield Square.
    Cafés, Restaurants, Bars and Entertainment in the heart of Dublin 7.

There's loads more, Wolfe Tone square including with the tram cafe.

I think the poster was talking about plazas rather than railed-in squares - places like the big market square in Avignon, where people can be part of the passing street without being choked with fumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Plenty of experience of Dutch cyclists in a couple of major cities. Maybe they're different in rural areas but in Amsterdam and Nijmegen from what I've seen they use it as a means of transportation rather than some badge of twatery.

Oddly enough in one week in Italy I only saw only ONE lycra clad arse cycling on his own.
    Everyone else used bikes for getting from A to B, getting shopping etc. They cycled those plain high nelly type bikes as it was explained to me a top of the range carbon fibre bike would just get robbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

As mentioned, a functioning criminal justice and legal system that protects citizens from criminals and does not reward fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

London transport and underground system. Our public transport is shambolic and ridiculously expensive. In London a 6 pound day ticket and you can use underground and buses all day as much as you want. Our trains are really slow too compared to other European countries. we've a very outdated and expensive system here.

In Estonia they're making all public transport free to use!

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/06/estonia-is-making-public-transport-free/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

John_Rambo wrote: »
    St. Stephen’s Green.
    Opened in 1880, St. Stephen’s Green is perhaps Dublin’s most well-known Georgian square.

Mounty Square.
    Planned and developed in the late 18th century by Luke Gardiner, the 1st Viscount Mountjoy, Mountjoy Square was once Dublin’s most prestigious Georgian square.

Parnell Square.
    Perched at the end of O’ Connell Street, Dublin’s main thoroughfare, Parnell Square is the oldest Georgian square in the city.

Merrion Square.
    One of the best surviving Georgian Squares in Dublin, Merrion Square’s architecture has remained unchanged for 200 years. Most notably the west side of the square has the Natural History Museum, the National Gallery and Leinster House.

Fitzwilliam Square.
    Only a stone's throw south of Merrion Square, Fitzwilliam Square is the smallest and the last of the last of the five Dublin Georgian squares to be completed.

Temple Bar Square.
    The heart and soul of Dublin’s historical and cultural activities, Temple Bar Square is a spot popular with tourists. The area is a historical hodgepodge as it was once a medieval suburb that was redeveloped in the 1600’s for British families and then again in the late 20th century to become the vibrant spot in the city filled with pubs and restaurants.

Meeting House Square
    Just around the corner from Temple Bar Square hidden down a small walkway is the much more contemporary Meeting House Square. It is Dublin’s newest square, only opening in 2011.

Mayor Square.
    Located in the IFSC, Ireland’s financial epicentre, Mayor Square is another square that shows off a more cutting-edge side to the city. Surrounded by Dublin’s modern architectural additions including the Samuel Beckett Bridge, IFSC House and the Convention Centre

Grand Canal Dock.
    Nicknamed Silicon Docks, Grand Canal Dock is fast becoming one of the trendiest squares in Dublin. Home to tech companies such as Facebook, Google and Airbnb.

Smithfield Square.
    Cafés, Restaurants, Bars and Entertainment in the heart of Dublin 7.

There's loads more, Wolfe Tone square including with the tram cafe.

The poster said other than a park which are most of what you listed, and even Parnell Square is horrible as half of it is a manky looking hospital. Wolf Tone square is not successful as a public space,temple bar square is overshadowed and very small and is not a nice place to sit around in, grand canal square and smithfield are well designed imo but not very central to the pedestrian traffic of the city, the college green plaza would be a missing link that would fill the gap in the market that poster was talking about. Public space along routes where most of the city's social life occurs, is very much missing within dublin. Dublins public realm is undeniably poor, Galway for instance even though its a fraction the size has a much better pedestrian flow throughout the city and the public/pedestrian/open green spaces are much more successfully joined together than dublins public spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

wakka12 wrote: »
    The poster said other than a park which are most of what you listed, and even Parnell Square is horrible as half of it is a manky looking hospital. Wolf Tone square is not successful as a public space,temple bar square is overshadowed and very small and is not a nice place to sit around in, grand canal square and smithfield are well designed imo but not very central to the pedestrian traffic of the city, the college green plaza would be a missing link that would fill the gap in the market that poster was talking about. Public space along routes where most of the city's social life occurs, is very much missing within dublin. Dublins public realm is undeniably poor, Galway for instance even though its a fraction the size has a much better pedestrian flow throughout the city and the public/pedestrian/open green spaces are much more successfully joined together than dublins public spaces

One has a hospital beside it that you don’t like, the other has shadows in it, others aren’t central enough… Jesus.

I use these civic plaza’s all the time. They were full of people enjoying themselves in them over the bank holiday weekend, fantastic weather, great atmosphere.

Most of the people enjoying them weren’t Irish. I’m guessing they were at home complaining about Ireland online.

Anyone offering a cyclist "a few slaps" in any part of the Netherlands would be liable to be regarded with a distinct lack of humour by the Dutch police.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Public transport, and everything about it.. It’s one of the most expensive and unreliable systems in this country compared to other European countries.. (bus eireann service would be a good place to start..)

Public transport, and everything about it.. It’s one of the most expensive and unreliable systems in this country compared to other European countries.. (bus eireann service would be a good place to start..)

True - especially the lack of orbital routes - a lot of places have buses to Dublin, but no route to nearby towns that aren't in a line between them and Dublin, so to get to a town 20 miles away you have to go into Dublin and back out to the nearby town.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Free public transport for all. It could be done just might mean paying a little more tax for it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Are you suggesting you'd prefer concrete as opposed to green areas such as Phoenix Park, Stephens Green, or the park near the marina in Malahide.... etc?

Not for me thanks.

The bit of grass near the marina in Malahide? There are no benches there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I'd love if Ireland had a rabbit and cat island like Japan

Cape Clear was famous/-notorious for its cats until this lady came home, just fpr a year before she died

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/features/humaninterest/the-cat-woman-of-cape-clear-comes-home-223046.html

Advertisement