Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can a settled person become a "traveller" ?

Options
  • 31-05-2018 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

I would like to become a "traveller" so that I can become tax exempt and not be subject to the normal rules of society.

If I turned up to social welfare and said that I now consider myself to be a "traveller" would they set me up as one ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Dr Brown wrote: »
    I would like to become a "traveller" so that I can become tax exempt and not be subject to the normal rules of society.

If I turned up to social welfate and said that I now consider myself to be a "traveller" would they set me up as one ?

Try it out and tell us how you get on OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No. they'd classify you as a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Strip a length of copper wire with your fingernails in under 30 seconds and you might qualify for the qualifiers.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you fancy your cousin OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Send a callout video to the taxman with you punching a bag and talking about how you'll not be paying anymore tax for s**e in a bucket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JMNolan

Are travellers for or against abortion?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

end of the road will be able to hook you up with someone who can sort it for you.
    Don't stress OP, in the mean time empty your wheelie bin all over your back garden, put on a vest and drink a few cans, maybe tie up a dog or give your missus a slap or two, you know, get a feel for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Don't stress OP, in the mean time empty your wheelie bin all over your back garden, .

Wrong!!

OP don't listen to Spongebob.

Set fire to your wheeliebin, it's the proper way

My bad - it's a steep learning curve:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Are travellers unsettled?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Maybe start up your own fly tippin' business, you can collect all your neighbours rubbish for €5 a hosehold and then just dump it on the roadside a few miles away ...

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

JMNolan wrote: »

Hugely against.

Newstalk did a piece on it last week. Very interesting interviews.

Traveller devotion to Catholicism is remarkable and a little scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

If I turned up to social welfare and said that I now consider myself to be a "traveller" would they set me up as one ?

You're doing it all wrong - travellers don't ask, they demand.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's selective Catholicism. Many of them tend to ignore the seventh commandment!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Hugely against.

scary yes and unbelievably hypocritical..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Would you be prepared to take the lower life expectancy too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭degsie

Not sure if there is a medical procedure to remove the brain part that allows for empathy towards suffering animals, but I'd start there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

It's selective Catholicism. Many of them tend to ignore the seventh commandment!

They are only Cultural Catholics.

I have a relation whos a priest and he said that the traveller kids never turn up for any of preparations for holy communion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Do you fancy your cousin OP?

Well, his cousin is hot

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

They are only Cultural Catholics.

I have a relation whos a priest and he said that the traveller kids never turn up for any of preparations for holy communion.

Aren’t most Irish people cultural Catholics?

Also I think travellers are very big into the apparitions (eye issueswhen you stare at the sun for too long)..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

D'ya like dags?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Don't go balls deep straight away. Become a "settled traveller" first.

That way you still get all the good bits, (no tax, expectations etc), but you don't have to go camping 12 months of the year.

JMNolan wrote: »

Depends on who's doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,124 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

end of the road will be able to hook you up with someone who can sort it for you.
    Don't stress OP, in the mean time empty your wheelie bin all over your back garden, put on a vest and drink a few cans, maybe tie up a dog or give your missus a slap or two, you know, get a feel for it.

He said traveller, not northsider.

Hugely against.

Eh, Thou shalt NOT steal.

Hugely against.

They just don't bother with the 'thou shalt not steal/covet thy bothers daughter' part

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

If I turned up to social welfare and said that I now consider myself to be a "traveller" would they

Some kids in my school are registered as travellers, they ain't travellers but we know they are doing it to access HEAR for leaving cert points . For those in the know they are using the 1,2,4 route as 5,6 doesn't apply to our school.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭diggerdigger

Hugely against.

That is true. A particular devotion to Mary. In the countryside, if you have a statue of the virgin Mary outside your house, you are less likely to get burgled. When i was a kid, the house on the road with no alarm and a virgin mary statue was left alone, and all the houses with dogs and alarms were burgled.

When i was a kid, the house on the road with no alarm and a virgin mary statue was left alone, and all the houses with dogs and alarms were burgled.

Has it occurred to you that they were probably the ones doing the burgling?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

That is true. A particular devotion to Mary. In the countryside, if you have a statue of the virgin Mary outside your house, you are less likely to get burgled. When i was a kid, the house on the road with no alarm and a virgin mary statue was left alone, and all the houses with dogs and alarms were burgled.
    probably because they were poor. The best defence against burglars is rich neighbours

Advertisement