Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Miles fuel (Topaz/Circle K)

• 07-04-2017 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭

So, today i was talking to someone in the trade, who is involved with Topaz.

Now, as many know, Topaz was bought by Circle K (who are owned by Irving Oil, Whom bought Whitegate refinery in cork)

Anyway, i was told that Topaz will soon be re-branded as Circle K, and that they will be offering Premium Petrol & Diesel.

It'll be marketed as "miles Plus"
    (sorry to disappoint all of those metric heads :pac: )

I have noticed a few Topaz stations being updated and their new pumps have the red branding, and each pump has 4 nozzles, at the moment selling 2x petrol & 2 x Diesel, But this is to change to
    1:95 petrol, (95ron)
    2: miles plus Petrol, (98ron)
    3: miles Diesel, (51cetane)
    4: miles Plus Diesel . (55cetane)

Now.. the downside.. the miles plus fuels will cost about approx 11c/l ,

now i didn't ask if the 11c extra would be the additional consumer cost, or the additional retailer cost.

Will you pay extra for premium ?

I dont think many people will.

Will You Buy Premium Petrol / Diesel 342 votes

Yes.. I'll buy Premium Fuel
    0%
    NO.. Bog standard for me
    40%
    digimanrabbitinlightsTea drinkerSkatedudecommitedvectramoby2101bennyx_obtkm8unsl0w5r4The Real B-manNeilwmik_da_manmonster1WibbsRattlehead_ieRoendar83run_Forrest_runaFlabbyPandadogmatix 139 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    59%
    CabaalBuffyBottuxymachiavellianmeSD_DRACULAZaphbillbond4markfinnzilog_jonesskibumLIGHTNINGmikeymmcgovern[Deleted User]CrowdedHouseDiemostowgerdingdingclio_16vdavetherave 203 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

It would want to have some pretty impressive benefits for that much extra. I remain to be convinced, but am open to information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

You'd expect high quality petrol to be a requirement for the most efficient next generation petrol models, so ....

Obviously they will tax the sh1t out of it here so that "clean, green, low emissions" diesel can continue to be king.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Atari Jaguar
    It's not going to make my car go faster, so no.

Shur doesn't topaz already have magic pixie dust in it that makes your car use less?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bullshit. It's 95 RON just like the usual stuff. "By adding multi-functional additives, that decrease friction and cleans your engine, our fuel miles will take you further on every liter." - this is a gouging exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I presume you mean 11c a litre on top of the current 1.38 or thereabouts? I'd be tempted if it led to real improvement over standard petrol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

NO.. Bog standard for me
    If it's higher oct value, may be interested. Sounds considerably more expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭mikeecho

NO.. Bog standard for me
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    It's not going to make my car go faster, so no.

Shur doesn't topaz already have magic pixie dust in it that makes your car use less?

Yup, Topaz use a chemical from BASF called Keropur, Circle K will be using a different additive (lubrizol), that they will be advertising as 3% more miles/better.

probably the same stuff

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Atari Jaguar
    mikeecho wrote: »
    Yup, Topaz use a chemical from BASF called Keropur, Circle K will be using a different additive, that they will be advertising as 3% more miles/better.

probably the same stuff

So it's 3% more performance for 8% more money? Hardly seems worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

NO.. Bog standard for me
    If it was actually premium like in other countries and a higher RON, then yes I'd switch to it in a heartbeat and always buy it above 'regular'. But I'm not convinced from the details above or their marketing pitch for it that this stuff is any higher octane than regular so no, I'll probably be giving it a miss.

Similar to a modification friendly insurer, Ireland does have a lack of premium fuel options for those of us that would buy it even with the premium cost added to it.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Personally, if premium fuel was only a few ¢ extra i'd buy it, but at 11¢.. i doubt i would be a regular user.

I currently use a DCI card and TOP is my cheapest station, so i use them (4¢/l off pump price)

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me

Translated: How it works cetane improver additive for miles plus diesel. In addition, the greatest effect by miles plus actually from the cleansing properties of the highly effective additive added. Cleanliness in a diesel engine is the most important relation. To reduce fuel consumption and make maximum use of the engine's power.

So this is what your petrol pump will look like.

The Diesel will have a cetane improver.. i'd imagine the petrol will have an octane improver

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Atari Jaguar
    The standard 95 RON petrol we get here is already better than "regular" in a lot of countries (91 RON or lower), so what we currently get isn't that bad. If it's higher octane, most non-performance cars won't benefit from it either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Ah lads, this is worse than the "a glass is a pint is a glass" argument people are making over in AfterHours.
    Premium means higher octane not just a cleaner engine.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    The standard 95 RON petrol we get here is already better than "regular" in a lot of countries (91 RON or lower), so what we currently get isn't that bad. If it's higher octane, most non-performance cars won't benefit from it either way.

true, with all the Ethanol being added, we have circa 98ron petrol.

as for diesel.. i dunno what the cetane number is, but its a min of 51, but a spec sheet for esso claimed that it was a min if 51 but normally 54.4

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Wasn't this called V-Power back in the Shell days!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,380 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Atari Jaguar
    Didn't shell have pura petrol years ago which didn't sell, then they rebranded it as V Power.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Jebus... those shorts... @00:20

my eyes.. my eyes

Atari Jaguar

Fixed that for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

NO.. Bog standard for me
    This post has been deleted.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    i fixed it

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    i fixed it

We were both fixing and unfixing it at the same time it seems :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

I only use 98ron now. If you have a decent performance car and enjoy driving then whats an extra 100 euro per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭MarkN

It's deffo higher RON, confirmed by someone I know (well) who works for them today. They'll be using their fuel before the re-brand is fully rolled out.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    MarkN wrote: »
    It's deffo higher RON, confirmed by someone I know (well) who works for them today. They'll be using their fuel before the re-brand is fully rolled out.

But the new pumps will have 4 nozzles.
    1 regular petrol
    2 premium petrol
    3 diesel
    4 premium diesel

How are they rolling out a premium fuel... without charging more, or ... I dunno what.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

NO.. Bog standard for me
    true, with all the Ethanol being added, we have circa 98ron petrol.

as for diesel.. i dunno what the cetane number is, but its a min of 51, but a spec sheet for esso claimed that it was a min if 51 but normally 54.4

Sadly the ethanol used now is just make make the fuel 95 ron, more ethanol currently does not mean higher ron unfortunately. If you have a turbocharged or high performance car then you will for sure be interested in this new premium fuel :) I know I will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Really hope it's higher octane fuel, would switch in a heartbeat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

NO.. Bog standard for me
    If it's 98RON, I'll be more than happy to go up from time to time.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    polan wrote: »
    If it's 98RON, I'll be more than happy to go up from time to time.

Looking at statoil pumps across Europe (owned by circle k, and soon to be rebraned ) who use the miles plus branding,

They sell 95 & 98 petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭polan

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Looking at statoil pumps across Europe (owned by circle k, and soon to be rebraned ) who use the miles plus branding,

They sell 95 & 98 petrol

I really hope it is. Just FYI, Statoil sells milesPLUS 95 and milesPLUS 98 on the continent, so it could be either of those :(

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    polan wrote: »
    I really hope it is. Just FYI, Statoil sells milesPLUS 95 and milesPLUS 98 on the continent, so it could be either of those :(

Circle K will probably be selling 95 as regular and 98 as plus miles

Dunno what the diesel situation will be.

Advertisement