Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FF/FG/Green Government - part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,169 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The Minister For Health seemed to be more concerned about affronts to his vanity in the middle of a pandemic (to use that oft quoted phrase)...BUT the opposition mutter mutter etc etc

https://twitter.com/RoisinShortall/status/1381519668582739968

He should get a supporter in Serbia to manage that for him.

blanch152 wrote: »
    He should get a supporter in Serbia to manage that for him.

He'd probably have to go that far to find someone who doesn't dislike him.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

The Minister For Health seemed to be more concerned about affronts to his vanity in the middle of a pandemic (to use that oft quoted phrase)...BUT the opposition mutter mutter etc etc

https://twitter.com/RoisinShortall/status/1381519668582739968

Hah it was one of his staff that asked about this. But let's not let that get in the way of righteous outrage.
    We still have one of the best vaccine rollout in the EU. Someday you might actually give recognition where its due - maybe when hell freezes over 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 66,820 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Triangle wrote: »
    Hah it was one of his staff that asked about this. But let's not let that get in the way of righteous outrage.
    We still have one of the best vaccine rollout in the EU. Someday you might actually give recognition where its due - maybe when hell freezes over ��

I praised the government for their initial handling of the pandemic, however as the polls show, how other countries are doing does not factor into people making their own minds up about mistakes, dithering and various incompetencies displayed over the last few months. Beginning with the disastrous divergence from NPHET advice and the resulting set back and unnecessary death and suffering.
    How Italy etc are getting on is not really relevant to anybody but apologists TBH.

I think if you asked Male heterosexual voters how the government on the pandemic were doing over a year into restrictions,if pierinno patinno was Taoiseach with a nightly here's my boobies news conference,you'd still have huge frustration(well on the double :D)
    I don't think comparing reactions in the two time frames april 20 and april 21 is an apples and apples comparison
    A poll in April 22 would be interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

So, it's the opposition's fault?

The perception of it is yes surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

The public disagree. The public want better.

What are the options that would have delivered better?

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/lawto-stop-social-media-management-abroad-for-political-parties-after-sinn-fein-revelations-40301728.html

I am sure that people will be happy that the housing minister has his priorities in order. If you're homeless, struggling to pay rent or mortgage, remember this

UDAWINNER wrote: »
    https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/lawto-stop-social-media-management-abroad-for-political-parties-after-sinn-fein-revelations-40301728.html

I am sure that people will be happy that the housing minister has his priorities in order. If you're homeless, struggling to pay rent or mortgage, remember this

Will be interesting to see how the increasingly sinister FF Ministers justify prohibiting Irish-based organisations sourcing work to other EU states like Germany.

This is repugnant to the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

What is it with these people? We've a Taoiseach who has banned all social activities and banned almost everything other than work; a Minister for Health who has introduced internment without charge (knowing that it's illegal, which is why the sudden u-turn when challenged in court); an Education Minister who banned schools and colleges; and now a Housing Minister who wants to abolish the freedom to work across the EU.

An absolute basket of deplorables.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

UDAWINNER wrote: »

The integrity of our democracy should be considered a priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Bubbaclaus wrote: »

What was your opinions in Helen McEntee putting Woulfe into the supreme court ahead of actual judges so Bubba?

Surely you must have been fairly outspoken on that given your concerns on democracy etc.

Indeed, the sinister nature of certain political parties and their legendary and innovative fund-raising activities including taxing their own representatives, must not be allowed to sully our democratic process.

Thankfully the government is taking action on this front.

McMurphy wrote: »
    What was your opinions in Helen McEntee putting Woulfe into the supreme court ahead of actual judges so Bubba?

Surely you must have been fairly outspoken on that given your concerns on democracy etc.

That's some classic whataboutery :D

I haven't seen the CVs of all the candidates, so wouldn't be able to comment. If I ever do see them then I'll happily comment.

I have seen our Electoral Law and proposed amendments to be added to it though. As SIPO said themselves a few months back, the provision of social media services from abroad is probably already caught in the wide donation definition in the current laws from 1997 anyway. So these proposed additions are to remove any doubt that they are considered a foreign donation.

Its important that any and all potential grey areas and loopholes are closed to ensure no foreign interference in our elections, or illegal donations being made outside the State benefiting parties within the State.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

b0nk1e wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see how the increasingly sinister FF Ministers justify prohibiting Irish-based organisations sourcing work to other EU states like Germany.

This is repugnant to the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights.

What is it with these people? We've a Taoiseach who has banned all social activities and banned almost everything other than work; a Minister for Health who has introduced internment without charge (knowing that it's illegal, which is why the sudden u-turn when challenged in court); an Education Minister who banned schools and colleges; and now a Housing Minister who wants to abolish the freedom to work across the EU.

An absolute basket of deplorables.

So..... you’d prefer large scale death, disease, running rife around the whole country, thousands of folk in hospital, health service in tatters....

Unfortunately the latest advice from NIAC looks like it will have major implications to the current vaccine rollout. Lots of big decisions for HSE, NPHET and Government to discuss today.

Unfortunately the latest advice from NIAC looks like it will have major implications to the current vaccine rollout. Lots of big decisions for HSE, NPHET and Government to discuss today.

The government could offer all the spare AstraZeneca vaccines to teachers. They were so desperate to be vaccinated that I am sure they will all sign disclaimers. After all, it is a small risk to take for their families at home that they were so concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

"Six months before a general election, Angela Merkel's party reels after heavy losses in German regional polls
    The governing party’s mismanagement of the pandemic is being blamed for the poor showing"

At least Angela got 55% approval from Irish voters polled by Journal.ie.
    Far away hills and all that

Shocking reading really. How is this kind of carry on justified?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40264238.html

Shocking reading really. How is this kind of carry on justified?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40264238.html

It’s behind a paywall. Care to give an overview?

Quoting part of it.
    We were told that when the exceptional €430,000 a year salary was agreed for Paul Reid to take the HSE job that it was a one off, it was needed in the circumstances. Ditto the appointment of Drew Harris as Garda Commissioner.

But sure enough, in the defence of this salary hike for Mr Watt, the two exceptional cases were given as precedent.

The Opposition has rightly cried foul and made the reasonable argument that, should Mr Watt be appointed, why not keep him at his existing top-tier salary.

If, as believed, he will maintain his perks, not only will he see a massive jump in pay but his gold-plated pension will also be massively enhanced as it will be based off his final salary of €292,000 a year and not an average of his career earnings as is the case for those appointed after 2011.

The Government has so far defended the pay increase, but it simply stinks to high heaven and the public knows it does.

• Advertisement

It's not.

I don't even know if the examiner do patwalled articles.

McMurphy wrote: »
    It's not.

I don't even know if the examiner do patwalled articles.

Er, yes they do!
    “ You have reached your free weekly article limit

Save 50%
    Introductory Offer
    How can I continue reading?
    Become an Irish Examiner subscriber

Get unlimited access from only €1.50 per week”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

No paywall issues for me.

skimpydoo wrote: »
    No paywall issues for me.

Give it a day or so....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Give it a day or so....
    Maybe

Er, yes they do!
    “ You have reached your free weekly article limit

Save 50%
    Introductory Offer
    How can I continue reading?
    Become an Irish Examiner subscriber

Get unlimited access from only €1.50 per week”

Ok, I'm not saying they don't, I'm just stating that I've never encountered any. But regardless, that articles not behind a paywall for me.

If it is for you (based on how many articles you've read), opening it in incognito should solve that.

Give it a day or so....

I quoted the essence of it.

Fine Gael deleting old tweets...oh dear. :):):)

https://twitter.com/gavreilly/status/1381715529048686597

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

I quoted the essence of it.

It's an opinion piece though.
    And the appointment hasn't been confirmed yet, just not denied.
    It's probably true though.
    But how much do you think this, post should be paid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Main points are there moving ahead with the Watt appointment at the inflated salary despite it not being justified at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement