Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards: Ten years ago ...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i was reminded this morning that its my 13 year anniversary working for the company i work for ...Ba****ds

so pretty much the same as im doing now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

How on earth can people remember what or where they were at 10 years ago? :confused:

I can barely figure out what I did last week!

ETA - I see from my own post that I joined Boards 10 years ago - news to me! How time flies!!! I still couldn't tell you what else I was doing at that time though.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    How on earth can people remember what or where they were at 10 years ago? :confused:
    I remember everything. I always had a great memory. I can't do basic maths though. Numbers fúck me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I was off having far too much fun to have time for a place like boards.ie.

The tide is turning…

2011. What a year. I was coming to the end of a 4 year relationship with someone who went on to become one of the most important people in my life. He hasn't been a part of my life for quite some time but I think of him often and hope for the day we can have pints again.

Mammy was diagnosed with dementia not too long after, June I think it was. I remember all those moments like they happened yesterday. Finding tablets and asking her if she's ok. Getting a call from my dad to say she'd "taken a turn". Sitting in the car being told by her doctor that "yes it's vascular dementia and neither of them will accept it". Fùck you doctor I thought.

A lot of bad things happened in that year. Things that changed me and taught me.

All those years inbetween. It reminds me of something I read "I have what I have and I am happy. I've lost what I've lost and I am still happy".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Things were worse for me then than they are now. So I'm not looking back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭KungPao

Getting ready to watch Jedward showcase our musical talents at Euro Song 2011.

Dark days.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭SVI40

First anniversary of my two sons coming to live with me full time. Best 10 years ever (well, 11), since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Had a 9 month old and we'd just found out another was on the way. I was in my job for about a year and already not too happy with it but was focused on everything I could to go up the ladder for money for the kids.

My wife showed me photos of ourselves around then and we honestly look like kids.

10 years on and I've got a family of 4 kids, finally made an honest woman out of the better half, both of us went to college and now we're trying to buy a house. No idea how we survived on so little back then but can say I've been very lucky to be so happy the last 10 years. Tired, no question, but very happy :)

2011 was a bit of a low point, wondered if I would grow old alone and whether I'd ever meet someone that I really loved. I thought at that stage that I was old and over the hill and that I'd missed my chance of having an interesting and happy life, with people my age all around starting to settle down.

Since then I've moved abroad twice, got married and have a 2 year old son. Looking back I can't believe how negative I felt at turning 30. My 30's have been the best years of my life, hands down. I always love the phrase "the day is darkest just before the dawn.....", it's so true. Life can surprise you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Watch reelin in the years from 2007 upto 2011, we we ré all in a bad way.

All those years inbetween. It reminds me of something I read "I have what I have and I am happy. I've lost what I've lost and I am still happy".
    That's a great maxim for these times.

One of the most amazing things about humans, which separates us from animals, is the dual capacity for sympathy and resilience. We can feel terribly sorry for ourselves, or more often, other people; and still have the toughness to stick the head down and keep going.

Would place mental-health professionals at the upper-end of that skillset, btw. It's a very unusual talent when you consider that other creatures have to choose between surviving and caring.
    The covid plague is the latest proof that we are capable of both.

That's a great maxim for these times.

One of the most amazing things about humans, which separates us from animals, is the dual capacity for sympathy and resilience. We can feel terribly sorry for ourselves, or more often, other people; and still have the toughness to stick the head down and keep going.

Would place mental-health professionals at the upper-end of that skillset, btw. It's a very unusual talent when you consider that other creatures have to choose between surviving and caring.
    The covid plague is the latest proof that we are capable of both.

Yes humans are absolutely incredible. Sadly though many many people don't keep going. For one reason or another, usually many, they give up. People who work in mental health are just as (sometimes moreso) flawed as their clients/patients. The difference I think is awareness. In order to help another you must know all of you inside out and not be afraid to face down the demons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I just want 2005 back please simpler times

• Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

GT89 wrote: »

1997 for me

GT89 wrote: »
    Man-bags and bootcut jeans and €400k for a semi in Lucan, bought off plans? No a-thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shreko

2011 was the end of a bad few years for me. Several years of being alone and very worried I would never meet someone. Literally around this time 10 years ago, my most recent “relationship” ended. Although we had only been seeing each other for a couple of months I really liked him and felt it was going somewhere. I was gutted, lonely and sad.

10 years later, we are married and have two small babies. Casting my mind back just reminded me of how down I was and how much better my life is now. You never know when life is about to change :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

After all these years, I still Like Cake

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Boards seemed a lot more active 10 years ago across all categories. Now it seems it's not nearly as popular as it once was. If I go to the A-Z to search for certain topics I find a lot of dead topic pages and threads which haven't seen a new post in weeks, sometimes months.

Boards seemed a lot more active 10 years ago across all categories. Now it seems it's not nearly as popular as it once was. If I go to the A-Z to search for certain topics I find a lot of dead topic pages and threads which haven't seen a new post in weeks, sometimes months.

I can't understand why. I love the Boards format, ability to type, no limit to characters, can post vids/photos. It's deadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭French Toast

I did my Leaving Cert in June 2012, so 10 years ago I would have just been 17 finishing 5th year.

Great time in life. Just starting to get in to drinking and nights out, pubs and clubs. Went to an all boys school so women were a complete novelty! :P

No real worries to speak of then. Life was definitely good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

People didnt seem to moan as much 10 years ago as they do now.
    Nowadays as soon as its mentioned that someone is doing well or gets something that most people didnt get its like a hoard of zombies from the walking dead trying to pull the better off down into their well too.
    Its very sad to see really. It was always an Irish thing, but it seems to be much worse nowadays, especially on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

10 years ago I was living in NYC just had our first child and a second on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Man-bags and bootcut jeans and €400k for a semi in Lucan, bought off plans? No a-thank you.

Yep.
    That semi D Is probabaly boarded up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Tails142

10 years ago I had just moved in with my girlfriend, we were renting a place together, the first time moving out of my mammy's for me!!

10 years later we're married with 4 kids and living on the other side of the country.

It's been a crazy ten years really, I was happy then, I'm happy now but there's been lots of ups and downs along the way especially in the last 12 months.

It's always hard to gauge when you're living out the best of your days, I've thought about it a few times over the years whether it's been good times at home in the family house when a few of us were living there with my mother after finishing college or its happened a couple of times in work when there's been good people around on the team and the work is fun, but those things were fleeting, life and people move on and circumstances change. I guess we never know what lies ahead for us and that we should be mindful when things are good.

I think about the housing shortage and especially now with covid, people living at home with their parents, do they take for granted this time that they might never get the opportunity again? I know there are downsides to that way of living too I suppose.

I think about it too with my own kids who are all young now, but in ten years time they won't be far off packing their bags and forging their own paths, probably dying to get out front under my thumb, I suppose it's true when they say life is fleeting.

Advertisement