Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your own personal crusade

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

That is incredible if its true. Do you have a breakdown on what its spent on?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-homelessness-services-to-cost-213m-next-year-1.4416301#:~:text=Dublin%20City%20Council%20is%20raising,presented%20to%20councillors%20this%20week.

Bear in mind, this is on top of 80m in funding direct from the tax payer, in addition to all the fund raising done by homeless charities. All for less than 10k homeless people.

There's 2 problems - cutting this finance would be a political football, and there are several charities doing the same thing in a supposedly different way.

It is absolutely BONKERS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,697 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Mental. In the next five years thats 1bn spent in the capital alone, and probably won't put a dent in the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

this probably includes drug treatment services,
    running hostels,.
    also the council has a deal to rent houses for 10 years,
    it would cost less just to build more council houses,
    than say pay rent on a 100 private houses for 10 years.
    the government owns alot of empty sites all over dublin.
    the local authority has a limited no of 1bed units avaidable,
    they wont give a 3 bed house to a single person.
    someone living in a hotel is classified as homeless ,
    eg a single mother with 2 children.
    alot of the money maybe goes on paying rent to hotels .

The replacement of the old recipes of fizzy drinks (containing around 40 calories upwards of sugar per 100 ml) with either no sugar or low-sugar versions. The only fizzy drinks that still taste acceptable are coca cola, pepsi, club orange and club rock shandy. Lucozade with 35 calories of sugar per 100 ml is would be drinkable if they didn't also add sweeteners but is so unsatisfying compared with its 70 cal sugar per 100 ml predecessor. When I go to buy a fizzy drink or cordial the vast majority of them contain sweeteners. I absolutely hate that Coca Cola are clearly trying to phase out the real coke and make the disgusting "Coca Cola Zero sugar" their flagship product - get fuc;ked, and take your disgusting bitter unsatisfying crap with you.

Di';ckhead governments implementing laws that sound good to people who don't think much about them but are in fact sh'it and remove peoples freedom of choice, and yet the don't tackle the issues that matter most like mismanaging the economy for decades such that owning a home like previous generations did will be out of reach for all but the highest earning non-singletons for my generation and those coming after me.

And everyone is such a know it all nowadays due to the internet that they can't just drink the sugar water without worrying about the health effects or weight gain. There were far more obese people in the 90s and 2000s than there are now yet nobody acknowledges this - it is in this culture where it is becoming rarer to be overweight that the stigma factor is becoming attached to full sugar drinks and this is ruining it for those who want to drink them with as little guilt as we did in the 2000s and before.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,779 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It’s very uncool to criticize drug addicts these days, despite drug use and addiction being a pathway navigated through choices... pretty much 100% of the time.. ie... “ yeah, I’ll take some “ ie. not somebody holding down a person and forcing them to use x drug... we fall over ourselves as a society to fawn over, reward and assist drug users / addicts over people who have medical illness by virtue of just acquiring it through non lifestyle choices...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Strumms wrote: »
    There are millions spent on drug addiction rehabilitation for people per year. It’s over a billion per decade here in Ireland.

Yet, people through no fault of their own, who have strokes, acquire nerve disorders, and a myriad of other non addiction related illnesses, who need rehabilitation to walk again, function again in society have such a fücking dismal time trying to get funding for the NRH or Doolaghs Park physical rehab facility etc...

There is a great level of education re: addiction that kids are enabled with, constantly from x age, if they still ‘choose’ to walk down a path that actually actively damages their health as they know it will... why the fûck should they be given priority for treatments and healthcare, over say a 35 year old who has a non self inflicted medical condition and worked and contributed through taxes all their life, only to be told...” sorry, funding for your rehabilitation is not available, but we instead are writing a cheque for Anto here to go get the help he needs, to escape a situation he put himself in.”

Not saying we shouldn’t help people who became addicted to whatever but in fairness we need to be looking after people with acquired brain injuries, nerve disorders and other long term illness.

Like all these things I don't think it's an either or. I'd like to see proper legislation around the decriminalisation of drugs such as Portugal did because it is proven to work. And I'd like universal healthcare with equal access for all like the NHS is supposed to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,779 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

zanador wrote: »
    Like all these things I don't think it's an either or. I'd like to see proper legislation around the decriminalisation of drugs such as Portugal did because it is proven to work. And I'd like universal healthcare with equal access for all like the NHS is supposed to be.

I hear what you are saying but I would urge caution...Proven to work in Portugal doesn’t mean it would work here... the psychological traits of the Irish and addiction are complex.

Has to be an either or to an extent as the money to help everyone and deal with drug and non drug health issues isn’t finite.

I’m proof, I was denied a certain medical treatment for my health yet addicts get serious resources and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

Strumms wrote: »
    I hear what you are saying but I would urge caution...Proven to work in Portugal doesn’t mean it would work here... the psychological traits of the Irish and addiction are complex.

Has to be an either or to an extent as the money to help everyone and deal with drug and non drug health issues isn’t finite.

I’m proof, I was denied a certain medical treatment for my health yet addicts get serious resources and help.

I hear you, I'm in the public system and get zero support around my mental health. In fact I would say what I get negatively impacts me.

However, that doesn't mean I want to take the supports or resent the supports others get. Id want to see everyone getting supports. Money isn't finite but a huge overhaul of the health and social systems is possible and would get us much further along than blaming individual groups in society just simply in terms of solving the problems whatever the ins and outs of who people think are deserving. And trying to work out who's deserving that everyone can agree on.

How we do that though is up for much debate and is exhausting to even think about.

Advertisement