Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting youtube channels

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭snotboogie

humberklog wrote: »
    Steve Wallis is great. He's Canadian and does stealth camping vids. But his idea of bush craft is buying a bale of logs and lighting them with a blow torch. He usually does a video a week and is well worth watching for some good, clean wholesome fun.

Regular Car Reviews, 2 Pennsylvanian chaps reviewing regular cars.

Bald and Bankrupt is repetitive but still can be interesting. He wanders around old Soviet countries and towns filming his interactions. He's fluent enough in Russian too which gives a good insight into the everyday people.

I prefer his new Daily Bald channel, shorter videos and seems to be more spontaneous. He is in Uzbekistan now which has been interesting. I preferred his videos in India to the ones in Eastern Europe. Same with Harold, always thought he made much better content in Asia than in Europe.

Vagrant Travel is my favorite travel YouTube channel at the moment. American guy who goes to (mostly) Western Europe and sleeps rough, same guy who made the surveillance camera man videos way back in the day. This channel is far less ethically dubious but he still has a great eye for interesting day to day goings on. His video from the Seattle riots was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

The Behavior panel - 4 professional body language and behavior experts analyze the behavior and body language of pop culture figure and famous interviews.

Soft white underbelly - A documentary maker interviews homeless people, drug addicts, sex workers, pimps, gang members and destitute people living in areas like skid row LA

Trash theory - Short historical documentary films about musicians, bands and music genres.

Blank on Blank - Short animated videos of famous lost interview recordings.

Sali hughes in the Bathroom - Sali hughes interviews well known makeup artists and people in the fashion & makeup industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Ever check out the videos of Abandoned Places? Some of them are very interesting and its a well established niche hobby followed by a lot of people. A whole variety of areas like empty schools, offices, supermarkets are explored by enthusiasts of this hobby who normally film the whole area and you get to see what was left behind before these places went bankrupt or just faded away.

Most of the locations are set in bigger countries like the USA and the quality of the hosts can range from engaging with clever camera skills to extremely annoying "Sick Dude....wow" characters who fling the camera around every millisecond so you cant see a thing. And if you are wondering what the hell could be so entertaining about a 10yr old supermarket aisle littered with beer cans and grafitti, i was that soldier! But stick with it and they can be quite intetesting.

I think there is an irish one where a few D4 kids break into a kip of an old factory/units but its very amateur and there is no danger of getting caught by the Guards, they couldnt care less!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Jim browning.
    Mark Rober.
    Chrisfix
    Car cleaning guru
    Linus tech tips.
    That pedal show.
    Premier guitar
    Rick Beato

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

It depends what you like

Itchy Boots: She travels the world on her motorcycle and is just a really lovely interesting positive human being.

Matt D'Avella: Very popular, creates videos on productivity, life and minimalism.

Clarence Kennedy: Very strong Irish Olympic lifter from Kerry.

Chris Williamson: Interesting musings on people from various walks of life on productivity, philosophy and life hacks etc.,

Abroad in Japan: Sarcastic British guy living in Japan who films some nice videos on the country.

kermodeandmayo: Film reviews.

Nathaniel Drew: Kind of like Matt D'Avella but a little younger and living in Paris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Kurzgesagt – In a Nutshell

Great channel if you enjoy science or explanations on politics

• Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Plainly Difficult if you like going deep into nuclear accidents, Scott Manley for space stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ETTV lots of videos of street food being cooked in Asia, mostly South Korea. No talking, just cooking some weird and mostly nice looking stuff in stalls or cafes.

Primitive Technology A guy in the jungle somewhere in Australia uses Stone age techniques to build things. No narration either, by worth putting captions on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

If you're into exotic cars from the 60s 70s or 80s Ian Tyrrell restores some beautiful examples and takes some out for a drive after repair. Really interesting guy with a very technical brain.

There's nothing about old Lambos or Ferraris that he doesn't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,711 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://youtube.com/c/SimonWilson12

This is a good channel, he takes a little bit of getting used to but seems a cool guy (he ways mate way way to much)

I like a lot of stuff on pro wrestling by Whatculture, Wrestlelamia and others. Some of the Travel and event vlogs are great too

This is a great channel and can be quite addictive

https://youtube.com/c/TheInfographicsShowOFFICIAL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Scammer Payback
    Jim Browning are my go to guys for dealing with Scammers

Karl Rock
    Travels India uncovering scams and behaviour
    Flossy Carter Tech Reviews
    What culture and Wrestlelamia

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Philipx

For restorations & theraputic watching:

My Mechanics His skill & attention to tiny detail would just sicken your arse, but absolutely compulsive viewing; he has set the benchmark for all the other restorers on YT.

For computers & such:

Explaining Computers A proper nerdy teaching channel by a proper nerdy teachery-type:D All sorts of tech stuff simply explained.

My Mate Vince Another nerdy type channel, amateur have-a-go fix it channel. He's so happy when he figures out how something works & manages to fix it. :p

And as mentioned before:

The Lock Picking Lawyer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Epicurious 4 Levels - Dishes prepared by a level 1 amateur, a level 2 home cook and a level 3 professional chef. Each dish analyzed afterwards by a "level 4" food scientist

Worth It - Steve and Andrew with their sound engineer Adam travel the USA and across the globe trying food dishes at different prices ie A €5 burger, a €50 dollar burger and a €500 burger. Afterwards they choose which is their favourite.

Wrestling Bios - A really good pro wrestling history channel ran by some Northern Irish guy

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

Real Engineering
    CGP Grey
    Pindex

• Registered Users Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

While not the whole channel the "Pitch Meeting" series on ScreenRant are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

pjohnson wrote: »
    While not the whole channel the "Pitch Meeting" series on ScreenRant are excellent.

Is that the one where every thumbnail has a character with enlarged eyes? Annoys me for some reason, never watched any of them. Just screams douche bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Jay Foreman

He has three main series. 'Map Men' who is co-presented with another guy about interesting maps and geography quirks. 'Unfinished London' about the evolution of London, and 'Politics Unboringed' about British Politics. A lot of it is very interesting (the type of stuff you'd hear about in QI) and is presented with incredibly dry British humour. Some of the ads at the end are hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JayForeman/playlists

All The Stations

A British rail enthusiast couple travel to or pass through every rail station in Britain. Might sound boring but it is incredibly charming with loads of great scenery footage, local history, and interviews with locals. The guy is a video producer by trade so it is very polished and their best episodes wouldn't look out of place on BBC Four. The girl works with the British Transport Museum and is great with the history side of things. So their professions add to the quality feel of the series rather than just two people randomly filming their travels.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4PdgT_AV_nXshM-I7xjYpXG-C_2tH1W9

The following year they traveled to all the stations in Ireland.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4PdgT_AV_nXMZLPuz-ZM2gevSVy9F3xN

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Wise Uncle. It explains how people like Derren Brown or Lior Suchard do their tricks.

He explains how people like Derren Brown and Lior Suchard do tricks. They use misdirection claiming its psychology when really it's cameras and slight of hand. Etc.

People used to claim it was mentalism whatever that is. Like Uri Geller but people (even inside the magic community felt he took it too far and people like Terry Cooper exposed him).

But derren brown was kind of genius because he sold himself as a sceptic just like Houdini but Houdini never claimed to be able to read people through psychology. Houdini impressed people with the skills he COULD do.Houdini was a true sceptic encouraging people to question everything. Derren Brown uses the label sceptic to disarm people from questioning HIM. Its like labelling your self help book ...by saying its not a self help book to get around people being suspicious of self help books.

I mean if you asked Derren brown if he would subject his claims of NLP to rigorous independent scientific testing. He would undoubtedly say no. Because its psuedo science.

If he were not pushing into trying to claim it can help people with mental health etc and encouraging people to suspend their disbelief about mental health gurus. That would be fine. But he crosses a line imo. And there isn't anything positive he is contributing to areas like mental health or philosophy. Its just patter to add to his act. He just refines his act very well.

Wise uncle explains and proves how these things are done. If you write something down and put it in a box there can be a camera in the box. Or it can be taken from you without you realizing by slight of hand. And the magician will be told etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Did people actually believe Derren Brown did real magic?

If so more fool them.

• Advertisement

If so more fool them.
    Well no they didn't. :o

They believed he used psychology. Which he didn't. They also believed he was encouraging skepticism. Which he was not he was disarming it.

You can't use psychology or erm ...NLP ...(which is fake). Nuero Linguistic psychology.
    There is no scientific evidence supporting the claims made by NLP advocates, and it has been discredited as a pseudoscience. Scientific reviews state that NLP is based on outdated metaphors of how the brain works that are inconsistent with current neurological theory and contain numerous factual errors.

Derren Brown has claimed he was taught NLP and runs courses in it. NLP is fake. It's psuedo science.

He just uses slight of hand and technology stooges and cameras retakes etc to do his tricks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Well no they didn't. :o

They believed he used psychology. Which he didn't. They also believed he was encouraging skepticism. Which he was not he was disarming it.

You can't use psychology or erm ...NLP ...(which is fake).

Derren Brown has claimed he was taught NLP and runs courses in it. NLP is fake. It's psuedo science.

He just uses slight of hand and technology stooges and cameras retakes etc to do his tricks.

But isn't disarming people in such a way and having them believe you when you're lying to them using psychology?

humberklog wrote: »
    But isn't disarming people in such a way and having them believe you when you're lying to them using psychology?
    No.

Its sales.

Similarly calling yourself a sceptic when you dissuade people from being sceptical and lie about what scepticism is ...is not being a sceptic.

Also there is no art to this.

I mean when he dies ..people will forget what he did.

Rene Levand that was magic.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No.

Its sales.

Nah, disagree.
    Anyway.

Geography King is a guy called Kyle and he does simple and interesting (but very US centric) short vids on all thing Geographical. He has a nice presenting style.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

No.

Its sales.

Similarly calling yourself a sceptic when you dissuade people from being sceptical and lie about what scepticism is ...is not being a sceptic.

Also there is no art to this.

I mean when he dies ..people will forget what he did.

Rene Levand that was magic.

His shtik of "showing" how he did the trick at the end of the show was clever.

So he was really using misdirection, on the viewer :)

Eddie the beast Hall.

The dick cavett show ..its clips of an old tv show in the 70s in the states. Interesting to see what was on tv then.

His shtik of "showing" how he did the trick at the end of the show was clever.

So he was really using misdirection, on the viewer :)

He has refined his craft more than probably any other performer.

I find these things difficult to ....understand. My mind is not ..sharp??:o

If so more fool them.

Suppose it depends what you mean by "real" magic :) There was a guy who used to post on boards who genuinely believed all this stuff was really "real". I generally stayed away from him but another boards user engaged with him.

And even when it was explained exactly how a trick could be done to that user - the user just said "Well just because _you_ do it that way does not mean my guru does not actually have super mind powers!"

It was painfully sad to watch someone that deluded.
    Wise Uncle. It explains how people like Derren Brown or Lior Suchard do their tricks.

I have watched a lot of channels like that. The truth is they show you _a_ way that such entertainers _could_ be doing their tricks. But actually very often if you see the same trick done by 5 different people - they are doing it 5 different ways.

In fact as someone who does a lot of the same entertainment myself at a relatively high level amateur level - I often find it very helpful to know 2 or more ways to achieve the same illusion in case something goes wrong with my preferred method and I have to shift rather than panic. This happens a lot. And the sign of a good amateur or professional is when you see how fluidly they can shift method when they need to.

It is also lazy to shout "Stooge" at tricks you can not explain. You can explain any trick by shouting "stooge" at it and look smug as if you are in the know. And yes this is because using a stooge would in fact achieve the trick. But again - as someone who does that kind of stuff sometimes - I would just be bored doing it with a stooge. Just because someone can explain how a trick would work with a stooge does not mean it was done with a stooge.

For example I have performed this exact show myself the first time I got to go to the EU Christmas Party of my company (usually I only go to the Christmas Party of the small Ireland branch). The idea of "stooge" was thrown around a lot by the people who were having a great time trying to explain it after the show. I promised them profusely if they guessed how I did it I would admit it. They did not guess. Needless to say I used no stooge and the entire trick was done by me and me alone. The guy guarding the envelopes as people put them in for me was accused of being the stooge of course. But he performed his task in absolute good faith.

I would admit it here too if you guess it. The problem is people tend to try to come up with the most complex explanations. In fact how I did it was _incredibly_ simple. People's minds generally do not go to the simple answer. They want/need a complex one.
    I mean if you asked Derren brown if he would subject his claims of NLP to rigorous independent scientific testing. He would undoubtedly say no.

Could you be specific as to which claims you are referring to? Because outside of his book I have not heard him mention it all that much at all and he was skeptical in his books - let alone make specific claims about it. So perhaps you have sources I have not seen yet which would interest me as I like to read about him and listen to him talk.

Generally though it is _other_ people who try to explain Browns methods using NLP and they ascribe it to him in ways he does not do himself. Mainly people who have never attempted this form of entertainment themselves so they reach for NLP to explain what to them is unexplainable. As I said above - people want the complex explanations.

Even his Wiki page states:

In response to the accusation that he unfairly claims to be using NLP whenever he performs, he wrote, "The truth is I have never mentioned it outside of my book."

You might also enjoy reading this letter from the man himself as it mentions both NLP and stooges and what should be taken with "a pinch of salt":

https://derrenbrown.co.uk/claim-claim-2/
    If he were not pushing into trying to claim it can help people with mental health etc and encouraging people to suspend their disbelief about mental health gurus. That would be fine.

Again I would be interested in the citations you are using here. I have heard Brown talk about Mental Health - but I have not heard him use NLP as part of it. Rather he most often espouses a mix of story telling and stoicism as a route to mental health. As in - he believes that a significant portion (though not all) of the mental health we suffer from come from the narratives and stories we tell ourselves about our suffering. The Podcaster Sam Harris says much the same thing in fact.

Could you cite the locations where he A) suggests NLP as a mental health methodology and B) encourages you to suspend disbelieve in gurus?
    They use misdirection claiming its psychology when really it's cameras and slight of hand. Etc.

Brown tends to say that it is a combination of everything. So for the third time I would be interested in your citations here. I do not think it fair to say Brown uses misdirection but claims psychology. Rather he would himself say that he uses both misdirection _and_ aspects of psychology.

In fact to get a citation of my own I did not even cherry pick. I _randomly_ opened an episode of one of his shows on You Tube and the very first thing out of his mouth was "This program fuses magic, suggestions, psychology, misdirection and showmanship. I achieve all the results you will see through a varied mixture of those techniques. At no point are actors or stooges used in the show".

Where there is he "using misdirection claiming its psychology" exactly? Was it in interviews? In print? Or actually _during_ a trick? If during a trick I could grant you this - but only insofar as pretty much everyone doing that trick would do the same. A random example I can think of is when he/we have three boxes with a ring in one and empty in the others. And the mark has to find the ring. And the "patter" you hit them at high speed with during the trick to knock the marks attention off would be pretending to be influencing their mind or their decision. Saying things like "Hah because you picked number 1 you'll be thinking to try and throw me off by picking 1 again - but I know what you will actually do".

The truth is - when Brown or I do that trick it's an off the shelf cheap trick from any magic store.

What I would say as devils advocate against people like him is that they never define what they mean by "psychology". I reckon they use a very loose definition of it indeed. They want the viewer to think of professional level psychology like if you went into a trained mental health professional. Rather what I believe they mean is just basic knowledge about how the human mind works in certain situations. Such as how prone to certain things they become under duress - panic - confusion - or embarrassment. Or like I said above about people wanting a complex answer so they miss the simple one. That is - technically - psychology. So if I use that fact in my entertainment I could justifiably say I am using psychology.

The best example from my own repotoire of this is a "trick" I have been developing based on a mix of techniques used by Brown and others. This is where I go into 20 different shops and manipulate the cashier to give me change from a 50 euro note even though I paid with a 10 euro note.

When I started I generally got about 1/2 hits out of 20. The last time I tried it I got a near perfect score. (Note I in every case attempted to return the money honestly after the trick - I am not a thief. Though I say "attempted" because in one case the cashier was so offended by the idea he would ever make a mistake he refused to believe an error had been made - so I left with the money intending to return it to the manager the next day but never got around to it).

But when I am doing it I am using things I know about basic human drives and psychology. And I am using specific words - ways of talking - and even certain positioning of my own hands and body - to manipulate those things in my "mark" to get the result I want.
    Derren Brown has claimed he was taught NLP and runs courses in it.

Skipped record here but can I ask you again for a citation? I can not find him offering or running and courses on anything at all - let alone specifically NLP.

Nearly all the "interesting" channels I like have been mentioned already so I second all shoutouts for:

VSauce
    TomScott
    Veritasium
    Smarter Every Day (definitely my favorite)
    Jim Browning (of all the channels getting "scammers" I think his is the best).

Unless I missed them though no one mentioned:

Today I found out (though 3 of the same guys other channels were mentioned)
    It's ok to be smart
    Seeker (though recently I found myself clicking on their videos a bit less than I used to).
    The SciShow Franchise (3 or 4 channels).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭smilerf

Nearly all the "interesting" channels I like have been mentioned already so I second all shoutouts for:

VSauce
    TomScott
    Veritasium
    Smarter Every Day (definitely my favorite)
    Jim Browning (of all the channels getting "scammers" I think his is the best).

Unless I missed them though no one mentioned:

Today I found out (though 3 of the same guys other channels were mentioned)
    It's ok to be smart
    Seeker (though recently I found myself clicking on their videos a bit less than I used to).
    The SciShow Franchise (3 or 4 channels).
    I love Jim browning
    I also like pierogi
    Kitboga is not my cup of tea.
    Sniggers like a child and does feck all

Advertisement