Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you ever consider moving to continental Europe? And if so where?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Lived in France for a couple of years during the Great Recession. Signed up to boards and spent most of my time listening to Irish radio and being extremely homesick. We don't appreciate this country until we've lived abroad, as perhaps most of us in this thread have.

Coming home was the best decision I ever made. Never regretted it.

I'd second that.
    Before covid coming home was easy, getting back on the plane was heart wrenching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Spain/Portugal are clearly favourites... but in my experience, very different. Property prices, taxation systems, social aspects, attitude towards non-indigenous people, etc. I'd love to see which is the preferred choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Ireland has a lot going for it alright. Sometimes it takes a stint abroad to truly appreciate it.

Have a good friend who returned last summer after 16 years spent between the US and Germany. After a few initial speed bumps, he’s loving being back and said that he feels like himself for the first time in years.

Gorteen wrote: »
    Spain/Portugal are clearly favourites... but in my experience, very different. Property prices, taxation systems, social aspects, attitude towards non-indigenous people, etc. I'd love to see which is the preferred choice

Massive generalization, but in my experience Portuguese people are nicer. Quieter and more reserved, but more considerate. You feel like they actually see you as a fellow human being.

Hamachi wrote: »
    Massive generalization, but in my experience Portuguese people are nicer. Quieter and more reserved, but more considerate. You feel like they actually see you as a fellow human being.

I tend to agree with your massive generalisation :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Lived in France for a couple of years during the Great Recession. Signed up to boards and spent most of my time listening to Irish radio and being extremely homesick. We don't appreciate this country until we've lived abroad, as perhaps most of us in this thread have.

Interesting. For years, I've viewed moving back as the worst case scenario but I think I could find work in Limerick and it's not as depressing a thought as it used to be.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

At the start of a word just pretend the G is a H.

Pronounce "Gouda" as "How-da"

Ik heb geen idee = Ik heb hane ee-day

The Dutch will understand you. They'll just think you learned your Dutch from culchies in Limburg rather than the phlegm spewing Amsterdammers.

The Dutch G is nothing like a H, better off listening and make an actual attempt to pronounce it :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mimon wrote: »
    The Dutch G is nothing like a H, better off listening and make an actual attempt to pronounce it :)

Actually it depends where in the Netherlands the speaker comes from. The further north the harder the G becomes. The Flemish pronounce G as a H.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have always wanted to live in Norway for some reason. I lived in Sweden for 4 months and loved it (it was summertime though so fairly easy to like).
    There is something about Norway that appeals to me. Dark and cold don't really bother me either.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

I always get lonely in France for some reason. I always feel very isolated and alienated while there. I have such fond memories of long summers down the south of France but when you're there as an adult, you're not near the sea, it's winter and it's cold and dreary and everywhere is closed on a Sunday, just gives me a sad feeling

they closed on a Sunday thing is really unsettling. Wonderful if you have an extended family but terrible if you don't

• Advertisement

Interesting. For years, I've viewed moving back as the worst case scenario but I think I could find work in Limerick and it's not as depressing a thought as it used to be.
    I think Limerick must be the most liveable city in Ireland, maybe moreso than Kilkenny. I'm from nearby Tipp and when we were kids, Limerick was so bleak that people from around here would travel to Galway instead for Christmas shopping and so on. Limerick has been totally transformed, and has become one of those places that I now go out of my way to visit.

You're probably from Limerick so you already know that, or maybe most people know that, but I can't think of another place in ireland that has so completely turned itself around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Yeah Spain/Portugal are popular i would consider buying a property out there. North or south not sure which area would be nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Southern France/Northern Italy. Spain would probably be cheaper but also full of Anto and Jacinta types in summer.

zweton wrote: »
    Yeah Spain/Portugal are popular i would consider buying a property out there. North or south not sure which area would be nicer.

South of Portugal is better for all-year round weather, but north is quite scenic, not as developed and more Portuguese than Algarve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Spain would probably be cheaper but also full of Anto and Jacinta types in summer.

Stay away from the coast resorts. Anto and Jacinta don't know that there's a whole new world when you go 500 metres inland.

South of Portugal is better for all-year round weather, but north is quite scenic, not as developed and more Portuguese than Algarve.

yeah and southern spain is very hot then i believe

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I think Limerick must be the most liveable city in Ireland, maybe moreso than Kilkenny. I'm from nearby Tipp and when we were kids, Limerick was so bleak that people from around here would travel to Galway instead for Christmas shopping and so on. Limerick has been totally transformed, and has become one of those places that I now go out of my way to visit.

You're probably from Limerick so you already know that, or maybe most people know that, but I can't think of another place in ireland that has so completely turned itself around.

I'm from Donegal. Never been to Limerick and for most of my life I thought of it as somewhere people went to die a violent death. Exaggerating but only slightly.

I've been convinced that the place is probably safe enough. It looks a lot more modern than I was expecting on Google Street views.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I didn’t know that, thought it was still a dump. Plan to visit now once this nonsense is over.

hamburgham wrote: »
    I didn’t know that, thought it was still a dump. Plan to visit now once this nonsense is over.

Limerick is grand. People are usually sound and down-to-earth. There’s a couple of ‘problem’ areas, but no real reason to go there.

My only concern for somebody moving there from a large, international city is that they might find it a bit limiting.

However, if you’re looking for a solid city, with affordable housing and nice people, you could do a lot worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Honestly, I reckon it's the only way I'll be able to afford to retire - sell the house in Dublin, buy something much cheaper in a small village in France or Spain and enjoy the lower cost of living and nicer weather... I have enough of both languages to get by and would be confident enough I'd be fluent within a year or two of living in either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Back to France, toying with the idea of retiring their.

Flanders - south of Belgium Border. And access to all of Normandy too. :)

Sleepy wrote: »
    Honestly, I reckon it's the only way I'll be able to afford to retire - sell the house in Dublin, buy something much cheaper in a small village in France or Spain and enjoy the lower cost of living and nicer weather... I have enough of both languages to get by and would be confident enough I'd be fluent within a year or two of living in either.

where in spain would you consider?

I have family in Pamplona and the Basque region seems to have a great joie-de-vivre in general, lovely weather and lots to do in the area too... close to Saint Sebastian for some of the finest dining in the world too :)

From a cursory glance you'd have a nice 2/3 bed renovated to your taste for about 200k

Sleepy wrote: »
    I have family in Pamplona and the Basque region seems to have a great joie-de-vivre in general, lovely weather and lots to do in the area too... close to Saint Sebastian for some of the finest dining in the world too :)

From a cursory glance you'd have a nice 2/3 bed renovated to your taste for about 200k

Had been looking in that area looks very nice indeed but have not visited. Not a bad price i guess, did you get that price from idealista website?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Thinking about Netherlands, I'm doing a certificate in Data Analytics so hoping I can get a job over there with a multinational firm, Utrecht looks lovely. Always been interested in languages too so I'm picking up Dutch casually at the moment just for fun.

zweton wrote: »
    Had been looking in that area looks very nice indeed but have not visited. Not a bad price i guess, did you get that price from idealista website?

Just a quick google in response to the question I'm afraid!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Oymyakon wrote: »
    Thinking about Netherlands, I'm doing a certificate in Data Analytics so hoping I can get a job over there with a multinational firm, Utrecht looks lovely. Always been interested in languages too so I'm picking up Dutch casually at the moment just for fun.

A friend of mine worked for this lads in den Bosch.

https://careers.epic.com/

That's a beautiful little city and it's commutable from Utrecht by train.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

I'd love to live in Sweden. Am currently learning Swedish with a thought to maybe moving there one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

bunny_mac wrote: »
    I'd love to live in Sweden. Am currently learning Swedish with a thought to maybe moving there one day.

Purely out of curiosity why Sweden?

• Advertisement

I'm from Donegal. Never been to Limerick and for most of my life I thought of it as somewhere people went to die a violent death. Exaggerating but only slightly.

I've been convinced that the place is probably safe enough. It looks a lot more modern than I was expecting on Google Street views.

Limerick looks like a proper city, in the centre, unlike Galway or Kilkenny.

I was surprised when I went there for the first time. City centre could be of a much bigger city.

Advertisement