Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comedians who aren't Irish but are still unfunny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tom Allen. Completely unfunny. You're gay, we get it...
    I love him, his book is really fun.
    His standup is more of a character than what he is really like imo.
    He also came across really well on the Adam Buxton podcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

gmisk wrote: »
    I love him, his book is really fun.
    His standup is more of a character than what he is really like imo.
    He also came across really well on the Adam Buxton podcast.

I've never found him funny on anything I've seen him on.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I've never found him funny on anything I've seen him on.
    No worries just not for you then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Transginger

Jim Gaffigan. You had kids, we get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dom40

blade1 wrote: »
    Yeah pretty much my feelings too.
    Was a fan of Frankie before.
    The majority of these panelists these days aren't even interesting people let alone funny comedians.
    Kevin Bridges would probably be my favourite of British comedians but haven't heard much of him lately.
    Never thought Bob Mortimer was funny but think his tales on would I lie to you brilliant.
    Likewise Ricky Gervais, don't find him funny but the programs Life and Extras, I thought were excellent.

Probably Bill Burr would be my favourite globally

I used to like Kevin Bridges until i seen him at the Hammersmith Apollo 2 years ago,he was very poor,just ranting on and not funny,i was not the only one as lot of other people were saying the same thing that night.Im not surprised he has not been heard off lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Still the only thing I ever found funny on SNL.....

And mainly because of the corpsing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Tom Allen. Completely unfunny. You're gay, we get it...

*ditto* Alan Carr

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I think SNL is getting an unfair wrap. The newer stuff in last 10-15 years or so is rubbish, with exception of a few skits, but some of the older stuff was hilarious:

Male Synchronised Swimmers
    More Cowbell
    Chippendale Audition

to name a few...

It does drive me nuts though when they are always so obviously looking at the teleprompter for their lines.

Melissa McCarthy does some great, totally impromptu skits on it too.

Jo brand is the only one that has never made me laugh in absolutely anything.

The others, at some point have.

Seinfeld, stand up is ok. Show was great.

Jack Whitehall. Enjoy his acting stuff but that's it.

And so on and so forth

• Still the only thing I ever found funny on SNL.....

And mainly because of the corpsing.

That was painfully bad. The few SNL sketches I've seen they have a joke and then they stretch the bejesus out of it. I'll give the actors credit for pretending its decent material, especially the pretend corpsing, because the performers must be self aware has to how bad it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Amy Schumer.

Utter unfunny drivel, how did she get a few Netflix specials?, so bad it's not even accidentally funny , even Brendan O Cardle would get more laughs...

same could be said for Kaley Cuoco, although she's not as chubby

• Registered Users Posts: 24,017 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Lesalare wrote: »
    I think SNL is getting an unfair wrap. The newer stuff in last 10-15 years or so is rubbish, with exception of a few skits, but some of the older stuff was hilarious:

More Cowbell
    Chippendale Audition

to name a few...

It does drive me nuts though when they are always so obviously looking at the teleprompter for their lines.

The current comedy on SNL is the kind of safe American nonsense that I can't stand. I don't get it in the slightest and can't even tell which part is supposed to be the joke. But that show has thrown out some amazing comedy actors in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

fryup wrote: »

Not sure what you trying to say. She is not a comedien so is she expected to be funny. All an actress can do is apply the script

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Amy Schumer.

Utter unfunny drivel, how did she get a few Netflix specials?, so bad it's not even accidentally funny , even Brendan O Cardle would get more laughs...

Shes stolen more jokes than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Lesalare wrote: »

More Cowbell
    Chippendale Audition

to name a few...

Cowbell was a decent concept but, as with every SNL joke, was dragged out too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

fryup wrote: »

WTF!

Aside from body shaming, Cuoco is an actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Just to add into the Saturday Night Live stuff. I think their best work would have been in the 70's/80's when you had the likes of Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, and Bill Murray on the show, and then later with Eddie Murphy as well.

Saturday Night Live in the 90's was good as well when you had Phil Hartman and Chris Farley on the show.

This would be my favorite Saturday Night Live sketch.

Not sure what you trying to say. She is not a comedien so is she expected to be funny. All an actress can do is apply the script

not a comedian per se, a comic actress

razorblunt wrote: »
    WTF!

Aside from body shaming, Cuoco is an actress.

"Body shaming" , jesus it's this type of faux offence nonsense that has comedy in the unfunny rut it's at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,907 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"Body shaming" , jesus it's this type of faux offence nonsense that has comedy in the unfunny rut it's at.
    It’s not really, if someone’s weight is all you got ya need to try a bit harder in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 11,432 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Milton Jones, that is one humour vacumn of a man.

Michael McIntyre. Cant really say that I'm surprised by his popularity when Mrs Browns Boys goes down a storm in the UK. I know it's subjective but it's got to be in the main the same type of demographic that likes this stuff.

He’s not totally my cup of tea but he gets a laugh. I like his joke about having to tell a story to get into Ireland.

I like most comedians. They are up there for a reason. There are a few genres I don’t like.

Over woke. Over anti woke I.e. bill burr. And the old school comedy - eg ethnic jokes. Not because they are offensive but just stupid.

It’s not really, if someone’s weight is all you got ya need to try a bit harder in fairness

Jo Brand did that for a while. I like her though. She seems genuine enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Is there really such thing as a funny comedian? They're mostly standup philosphers with the odd joke thrown in.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭buttercups88

Katherine Ryan. I know she's half irish but had to get a mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

What's the point you're trying to make?
    The post I quoted wasn't an attempt at humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

razorblunt wrote: »
    What's the point you're trying to make?
    The post I quoted wasn't an attempt at humour.

He thinks that people who don't like him being a dick about women's appearances have killed comedy. Seems the type who revels in 'edgy' humour and now that that's gone out of fashion a bit we must all be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

And the old school comedy - eg ethnic jokes. Not because they are offensive but just stupid.

Dear Jim Davidson, you're not funny. It's not because you're not PC, it's because you don't make us laugh.

• Advertisement

He thinks that people who don't like him being a dick about women's appearances have killed comedy. Seems the type who revels in 'edgy' humour and now that that's gone out of fashion a bit we must all be the problem.

eh ... no.

First of all I didn't make the remark about her weight.
    Second of all, my real point on my comment was people are so bloody offended about everything nowadays that comedy is dull, comedians are scared to make any jibe otherwise some small but loud mob on twitter can literally end their career.

Advertisement