Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Most boring chef on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Anyone see the ad for Mark Moriarty's new show?

What a boring boring person.

"I'm going to show you how you can cook good simple food at home, without going to the restaurant."

"These will be recipes you will want to eat"...well yeah Mark, that's generally what a cooking show is about..

He popped up on the Today Show in the last few years. He is just very dull. I'm convinced he has somebody inside RTÉ helping him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

WHERE'S THE LAMB SAUCE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

They're all just playing catch up to the late and the great Keith Floyd, God rest his pickled soul.

And all done to that theme tune by The Stranglers.

Christ, no. Could never stand Floyd. Have never once seen him prepare anything that looked even vaguely appetising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Harpon

Gordon Ramsay and his hysterics is tedious to watch, he’s never off the tele either.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Whatever about cooking on TV, at least you can see processes and results, it's cooking on radio that gets me.

Every Friday Pat Kenny Show has a chef on Gareth somebody from Marker Hotel and he lists ingredients and instructions for a recipe and Pat goes "that sounds delicious" and it's totally ridiculous.

Does seem a bit pointless alright. A bit like mime on the radio.

On a related note (well, somewhat) RTE radio sports news in the mornings used to play clips of the radio commentary of goals from the previous nights matches. What the hell was that about ? They may still be doing it for all I know. Bizarre.

• Advertisement

Harpon wrote: »
    Gordon Ramsay and his hysterics is tedious to watch, he’s never off the tele either.

Every show in his kitchen nightmares series had exactly the same plot arc. Gordon goes in, doesn’t like the food. Goes into the kitchen and usually finds some disgusting and unhygienic food storage. Gives them a new menu, goes out on the local streets to entice people with the new food. Has a few screaming matches with the owner/chef (“wheres your passion ?”) Then they make up, he redesigns the restaurant for them, they take his menu advice and everyone lives happily ever after. The end.

It’s entertains the first few times, but gets tired pretty quickly.

trashcan wrote: »
    Every show in his kitchen nightmares series had exactly the same plot arc. Gordon goes in, doesn’t like the food. Goes into the kitchen and usually finds some disgusting and unhygienic food storage. Gives them a new menu, goes out on the local streets to entice people with the new food. Has a few screaming matches with the owner/chef (“wheres your passion ?”) Then they make up, he redesigns the restaurant for them, they take his menu advice and everyone lives happily ever after. The end.

It’s entertains the first few times, but gets tired pretty quickly.

Most of the places still close down after Ramsay been there soon after.

Hello, My Name is NINO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Harpon wrote: »

Saw him doing one of his restaurant 'rescues' years ago. There was a young lad in the kitchen, a bit slow I thought. But good ol' hardman Ramsay decided here was a handy punchbag. Slapping the young lad across the back of the head a number of times, and the lad going down liked a whipped dog and slouching off out of harms way till the next instructive slap. I remember the red mist on me at the time, thinking "if that was my brother or son.....". In fairness, I wouldn't be as big and tough as yer man, but a cast iron skillet is a great leveller.

You're right, I wouldn't. But if ever someone deserved it......

Saw him doing one of his restaurant 'rescues' years ago. There was a young lad in the kitchen, a bit slow I thought. But good ol' hardman Ramsay decided here was a handy punchbag. Slapping the young lad across the back of the head a number of times, and the lad going down liked a whipped dog and slouching off out of harms way till the next instructive slap. I remember the red mist on me at the time, thinking "if that was my brother or son.....". In fairness, I wouldn't be as big and tough as yer man, but a cast iron skillet is a great leveller.

I'm never seen Gordan slap anyone, he never does that.

Well, painful as this will be, I'm going to try very hard to find it. I DID see it, it was appalling, and I was amazed that : it was televised, and that there was no torrent of outrage at it.

It was early on in the whole Gordon Ramsay thing and was set in the north of England I think. Like a cafe type place, but bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Not a trace of Dylan McGrath or his pal Mick Munier for years now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,400 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Astonished at the lack of outrage towards that river cottage nonsense.
    The aptly named Hugh Christopher Edmund Fearnley-Wit-is-stalled

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I used to watch a thing where it was just the food cooking, no commentary or anything, just the food spinning around as it cooked. When it's cooked I can take the food out and eat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Who's the obnoxious pr1ck that's always on the LLS, fat, loves his own voice, gone bust more times than anybody I've ever heard, over and back to London with his "organic" range

Richard Corrigan ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

banoffe2 wrote: »
    Not a trace of Dylan McGrath or his pal Mick Munier for years now

McGrath, I think his place closed down and he might have relocated. I do recall him having a steak gaff in Dublin for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Richard Corrigan ?

Richard Corrigan is many things, but boring isn't one of them. Bentley's Oyster Bar & Grill in London is an absolutely brilliant place to eat the very best of seafood, and he's a passionate advocate for Irish produce. The type of place where time seems to stand still. Also serves a splendid pint of Guinness, which, as some of you many know, isn't always easy to find in London.

He's also a wonderful bon vivant and raconteur.

Well, painful as this will be, I'm going to try very hard to find it. I DID see it, it was appalling, and I was amazed that : it was televised, and that there was no torrent of outrage at it.

It was early on in the whole Gordon Ramsay thing and was set in the north of England I think. Like a cafe type place, but bigger.

Right, in the interest of fairness to the guy, I'm now obliged to retract my earlier statement. I am unable to find evidence of this ever happening. Except in my head :eek:.

I've carried this image around in my head for so long now, and still recall my visceral response to it, that it seems amazing that it would be a false memory. But, I'll have to accept that's what it is.

Apologies to Gordon, and to all my readers:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

McGrath, I think his place closed down and he might have relocated. I do recall him having a steak gaff in Dublin for a while.

The Rustic Stone. It's where I had the toughest T-bone steak I ever ate in my life. I never went back there after that. Speaking of McGrath and Meunier, the old Masterchef Ireland series is now available on Amazon Prime.

I actually like Rory O'Connell myself, he has a kinda gentle, Grandfatherly demeanor about him. I can't take to Donal Skehan at all though. His nice guy act is completely phoney and he tried several avenues to become famous before trying his hand at cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I actually like most TV chefs watching a cooking program is very relaxing my favorites would be Derry Clarke I have here he is a very nice man but his wife not so much and I like Rick Stein Also like Tom Kerridge

I have eaten in chapter one, have heard Ross Lweis the chef-owner being interviewed a few times comes across as a dreadful snob, snobbery of any kind equals a fail from me but maybe it's just the way he comes across in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

The Rustic Stone. It's where I had the toughest T-bone steak I ever ate in my life. I never went back there after that. Speaking of McGrath and Meunier, the old Masterchef Ireland series is now available on Amazon Prime.

I actually like Rory O'Connell myself, he has a kinda gentle, Grandfatherly demeanor about him. I can't take to Donal Skehan at all though. His nice guy act is completely phoney and he tried several avenues to become famous before trying his hand at cooking.

And when that wasnt enough we had to endure his moving house back to Ireland and how stressful is was .Like the rest of us werent stressed at the time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Donal Skehans cooking slots dont grab me.

He did a show where he travelled and met producers and thought it suited him much better.
    Bit over eager at the stove but that works when chatting to producers.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Right, in the interest of fairness to the guy, I'm now obliged to retract my earlier statement. I am unable to find evidence of this ever happening. Except in my head :eek:.

I've carried this image around in my head for so long now, and still recall my visceral response to it, that it seems amazing that it would be a false memory. But, I'll have to accept that's what it is.

Apologies to Gordon, and to all my readers:pac::pac::pac:

I'd be very surprised if that happened on the UK version of Kitchen Nightmares which was a vastly superior show than its OTT US counterpart. Ramsay was genuinely helping pubs without over dramatising everything, the Welsh pub-restaurant episode in particular was fantastic. I think the only one he went a bit aggressive on was the fancy steak place where the chef was a gowl.

The US show is mad altogether, there's absolutely no way they could survive after they go through the restaurant, regardless of turnarounds.

An interesting point can you become wealthy from being a chef? Feel sorry for the likes of Mark Moriarty with the lockdown just as their career was taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Whatever about chefs at least they don't that thing that online recipes do where they spend 4 pages talking about their "Nonna used to make this back in the old country whilst they played in the lemon orchard barefooted".

I've not watched a cooking show in ages but a short, sharp and simplified YouTube/Instagram video will catch my attention.

I also like that show on Channel 4 where they have Michelin starred chefs try and replicate Kit Kats or Monster Munch or whatever. You can see their skill and thought process shining through, Chloe Haughser was on that and she's done incredibly well since,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

mariaalice wrote: »
    An interesting point can you become wealthy from being a chef? Feel sorry for the likes of Mark Moriarty with the lockdown just as their career was taking off.

Think of a good restaurant near you and how busy and well they do.

Then think of any restaurant run by a famous chef...it's gonna rake in money. So yeah, Moriarty would be quite rich.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Think of a good restaurant near you and how busy and well they do.

Then think of any restaurant run by a famous chef...it's gonna rake in money. So yeah, Moriarty would be quite rich.

Dude doesn’t own a restaurant. So that blows a torpedo in that particular theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Lemon Davis lll

Yes, It's so contrived. She should be ashamed of herself sounding like that at her age.

Both herself and Miriam went to Alexandria college secondary school in Milltown.

It's long churned out alumnae with a singular way of mangling the English language.

Dude doesn’t own a restaurant. So that blows a torpedo in that particular theory.

Any restaurant particularly a high-end one knows it worth their while to give the head chef and restaurant manager/head waiter a small share of the business.

The nices and the best meal I ever had was in the pig ear the chef is Stephen McAllister, I have only ever seen him on the restaurant where he comes across as very precise.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Any restaurant particularly a high-end one knows it worth their while to give the head chef and restaurant manager/head waiter a small share of the business.

The nices and the best meal I ever had was in the pig ear the chef is Stephen McAllister, I have only ever seen him on the restaurant where he comes across as very precise.

He isn’t the head chef either. So that blows a torpedo in that particular theory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Richard Corrigan ?

That's him, complete w****r and bu11sh1tter, and wouldn't lie straight in bed

Advertisement