Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Things you shouldn't know, but do

Options
  • 05-04-2021 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭

summer 2019, i met a friend of mine at a work event in another city and we went out for pints, lots of pints. I left the pub earlier than he did and went back to hotel. He arrived about an hour later, but as he came in the lobby door, I was on the landing at the top of the stairs so saw that he was with a woman he had met earlier in the pub. They didn't see me, but I saw them. I didn't say anything and wouldn't - his business what he gets up to but i was surprised.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Recliner

ablelocks wrote: »
    summer 2019, i met a friend of mine at a work event in another city and we went out for pints, lots of pints. I left the pub earlier than he did and went back to hotel. He arrived about an hour later, but as he came in the lobby door, I was on the landing at the top of the stairs so saw that he was with a woman he had met earlier in the pub. They didn't see me, but I saw them. I didn't say anything and wouldn't - his business what he gets up to but i was surprised.

Why were you surprised?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭con747

And........

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Archeron

If you ever have a toilet blocked by a massive poo the size of a baby cow, four or five bin bags over an arm gives enough protection so you can break it up without touching it. Still rotten though.
    That's something I shouldn't know but do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Dafuq?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I once saw a neighbour of mine in the supermarket. I could see low-fat milk, fruit, fresh veg and brown bread in their basket, but I spotted them take a packet of Kimberly from the biscuit shelf and pop them in too. I didn't say anything and wouldn't - his business what he gets up to but i was surprised - always had him pegged as more of a Mikado man, but it just shows you never can tell. Although knowing this now, if he ever did invite me in for tea, I'd politely make my excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

CIA killed JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I know how much wood a woodchuck can chuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Is there some interesting detail to this that perhaps you've left out? Like he'd only gotten married a few weeks before? Or maybe the woman he brought back from the pub was actually his boss? Or she was his cousin? Or she was transgender? A transgender cousin? Something even a little bit scandalous?? Anything at all??!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Is there some interesting detail to this that perhaps you've left out? Like he'd only gotten married a few weeks before? Or maybe the woman he brought back from the pub was actually his boss? Or she was his cousin? Or she was transgender? A transgender cousin? Something even a little bit scandalous?? Anything at all??!

I think it might've been a dream.He may be still in the dream , we all might be in it too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I know how much wood a woodchuck can chuck.

I've always wondered the answer to that. Care to share?

I know that placing 3 individual squares of bog roll onto the back of the toilet bowl saves you some cleaning about 80% of the time. Has to be individual squares, if they're connected it'll just fall off with the first contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

The answer is......

• Registered Users Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The answer is......

I fkin knew it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭trashcan

I know the words to the Home and Away theme tune. I win !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,129 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

trashcan wrote: »
    I know the words to the Home and Away theme tune. I win !

come back to us when you know the words to 4'33" by john cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,476 ✭✭✭brevity

I once saw a neighbour of mine in the supermarket. I could see low-fat milk, fruit, fresh veg and brown bread in their basket, but I spotted them take a packet of Kimberly from the biscuit shelf and pop them in too. I didn't say anything and wouldn't - his business what he gets up to but i was surprised - always had him pegged as more of a Mikado man, but it just shows you never can tell. Although knowing this now, if he ever did invite me in for tea, I'd politely make my excuses.

To complete the set just bring some Coconut Creams.

Balance restored

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭purplefields

...and if there isn't anything at all, how about making something up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I know the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TallGlass2

I know how they get the fig in figrolls

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

About 10 years ago, while my friend was plastered (paralytic) in a pub, his then girlfriend of 3 years nipped off to the toilet. He told me that while he "liked" his girlfriend, "she definitely isn't the one", he had no real feelings towards her and saw no future together. They're now married with 3 kids.

I don't see them often, but that night in town just runs through my head when ever I do. Sorry, I don't think your husband actually loves you.

The optimist in me hopes he grew to love her. But people are so mediocre, the realist in me suspects otherwise.

I'm sure he doesn't remember telling me given how pissed he was. It's always stuck with me. He was so cold and assured in how he felt, yet here he is. I'm sure he's not the only one. A story as old as time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    About 10 years ago, while my friend was plastered (paralytic) in a pub, his then girlfriend of 3 years nipped off to the toilet. He told me that while he "liked" his girlfriend, "she definitely isn't the one", he had no real feelings towards her and saw no future together. They're now married with 3 kids.

I don't see them often, but that night in town just runs through my head when ever I do. Sorry, I don't think your husband actually loves you.

The optimist in me hopes he grew to love her. But people are so mediocre, the realist in me suspects otherwise.

I'm sure he doesn't remember telling me given how pissed he was. It's always stuck with me. He was so cold and assured in how he felt, yet here he is. I'm sure he's not the only one. A story as old as time.

I'd a very similar experience with an acquaintance (sort of a friend of a friend) in London a couple of years ago. Was at the end of a house party and chats got a bit deep between us (he wasn't drunk, but had taken some stuff). He ended up telling me that the girl he was with since college definitely wasn't the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, but he didn't know how to end it without killing their friendship.

Anyway, he gets home from this house party about 7am and his missus informs him that she's pregnant! I was full sure he was making it up initially, but it was true. Things seem to have worked out okay, he seems happily a dad now and no issues that I've heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I definitely think a mod should delete this post but leave the thread as it’s the most disappointing thread ever as the OP’s story doesn’t even remotely reflect the title of the thread so therefore should be removed for being irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭con747

I shouldn't know this thread exists but I posted on it earlier.:confused:

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Amirani wrote: »
    I'd a very similar experience with an acquaintance (sort of a friend of a friend) in London a couple of years ago. Was at the end of a house party and chats got a bit deep between us (he wasn't drunk, but had taken some stuff). He ended up telling me that the girl he was with since college definitely wasn't the one he wanted to spend the rest of his life with, but he didn't know how to end it without killing their friendship.

Anyway, he gets home from this house party about 7am and his missus informs him that she's pregnant! I was full sure he was making it up initially, but it was true. Things seem to have worked out okay, he seems happily a dad now and no issues that I've heard of.

It's not that surprising, many if not most people settle to some degree, most of us aren't enough of a catch to land the kind of woman we would ideally want

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Archeron

brevity wrote: »
    To complete the set just bring some Coconut Creams.

Balance restored

I know the theme tune to the old telly ad and thanks to your post, I will be singing it in my head for the next week.

When I read the OP, I saw Kimberly, then mikado, and immediately my brain closed off the section where that ad was stored. Then I saw coconut creams in your post and it all flooded out.

Fuzzy biscuit earworm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

come back to us when you know the words to 4'33" by john cage.

I don't know the words but I can play the music perfectly on any instrument you care to name

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭fortwilliam

The band "The Clash" did not know if they should "Stay, or if they should instead Go"

I do know...

Because, if they stay "There will be trouble"
    However..
    If they go "It will be double"

Assuming the aim is to suffer the least amount of "Trouble" they should clearly STAY!

Joe Strummer.. you are welcome.

A-well-a ev'rybody's heard about the bird
    B-b-b-bird, b-birdd's a word
    A-well, a bird, bird, bird, bird is a word
    A-well, a bird, bird, bird, well-a bird is a word
    A-well, a bird, bird, bird, b-bird's a word
    A-well, a bird, bird, b-bird is a word
    A-well, a bird, bird, b-bird's a word
    A-well-a don't you know about the bird?
    Well, everybody knows that the bird is a word

A-well-a-bird, bird, b-bird's a word, a-well-a

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird
    Bird, bird, bird, b-bird's a word
    Well, everybody's talking about the bird!

A-well-a bird, bird, b-bird's the word
    A-well-a bird, surfing bird, brrrrrrrrpagh!
    Aaah, bap-a-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pap

Ma-ma-mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa
    Ma-ma-ma-ma-mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa
    Ma-ma-ma-ma-mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa
    Ma-ma-mow, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa
    Ma-ma-mow, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa
    Ma-ma-ma-ma, ma-ma-mow
    Ma-ma-ma-ma, ma-ma-mow
    Ma-ma-mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow

Well, everybody knows that the bird is a word

A-well-a mow, mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa
    Ma-ma-mow, ma-ma, mow, pa-pa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

At 65+ I shouldn't know that that song ^^^^^^ is a running joke on Family Guy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

As a very very very very very very very very very very very dark blue belt in Ninjitsu, aka "The Way of the Ninja" - I am an expert in the application of pressure to key points of the human anatomy which can render an opponent unconscious, or in very extreme and rare circumstances, dead.

Advertisement