Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Would you pay off a family members drug debt?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

.anon. wrote: »
    I'd be very annoyed that he didn't realise that somebody was eventually going to have to pay for it. Cannabis doesn't grow on trees, you know.

I wouldn't pay off any debt for him. I'd encourage him and the dealer to come to some kind of arrangement whereby he works the debt off for a set period of time, couriering drugs around on his bicycle. Who knows, he might enjoy it and it could become a very lucrative career.

I think you'll find it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

My children aren't in the right "demographic" to get addicted to drugs seeing as most drug addicts come from broken, traumatised upbringings (through no fault of their own, I hasten to add!).

That's the rock that many parents perish on.
    I work in a prison and can assure you that addiction cuts right across all demographics. I agree that it's definitely harder for 'lower' social classes to escape and they're more likely to come from multi generational drug using backgrounds but absolutely nobody is safe.
    Right at this moment, just off the top of my head, I can think of a teacher, a Gardas son and a nurses son that are all tucked up for the night in the states loving care. Loads more as well and it's non-stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭AlejGuzman68

I wouldn't. They selfishly made their bed let them lie in it. Whatever may come.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I think you'll find it does.

It's more shrubs than trees

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Vestiapx wrote: »
    It's more shrubs than trees

still grows out the ground it shouldnt be as expensive as it is

• Advertisement

I can't believe nobody has said just go to the Guards

I know they're 90% useless and it won't end in a conviction but scumbags are legit bothered by the guards cos they can cause hassle. It's heat they don't need. No ****ing way would I pay them and I'd record everything for the guards, every threat. Have a doorbell camera. Send it all the cops and to the scumbags. They're not untouchable, they're legit scared of a raid taking all their cash/gear.

They don't care.
    Cousin of mine got in the **** years ago, was still handing his dole over to the ****ers 10 years later til he ended up topping himself. Know of a couple of others in similar situations. Went to the Gardai and were told they should move away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I was listening to an old episode on the radio of Niall Boylan. A woman's 16yr old son ran up a debt 'on tic' from borrowing cannabis for free in a whole month. It then came to €2000.

The teen didn't have any money to pay so he tried ignoring them but the dealer came to his ma's house and threw a brick while leaving a note at the door. He threatened to break more windows so she just forked out the money from a loan shark.

Would you do this?

Did she threaten to turn off his Internet?

Any folks, AdrianBalboa may not actually be serious ...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

It's easy to say.... "if it was my kid....." but when someone is threatening to put windows in and burn cars and so on, I'm pretty sure I would take from my own granny (give her a kiss and promise to pay back ASAP! ) and pay them off and cross my fingers and toes that's the end of them.

That being said, if my child was under 18 and racked up a €2,000 drug debt, you would bet I would have him locked and chained to his bedroom until of legal age and then tell him right off you f**k and get a job to pay for your habits.

My family aren't anti drugs in the sense that somewhere down the line they've had a puff here and there to try it out but between my Mam and Grandparents, all they have to do is smell weed and they vomit. They physically can't stand the smell let alone sit there and have a full joint in peace. They don't condone it either and it's an each to their own deal but would rather no one was into drugs. My cousin (2nd cousin?) is a massive herion addict and her parents were hard and honest workers, gave her the best of the best, went to private school, the lot and she still somehow managed to land herself in prison more times than I've had hot dinners. Me, I was brought up in a area where my Mam was told was a walking advertisement for kids to get hooked and stand around the corner with the wrong crowd. She was lucky I was such an introvert that if someone so much as said Hello to me, I would run home crying. I was such an absolute whimp. Then I was in my early 20s at a house party (of course) tried weed and puked for Ireland so safe to say I wasn't going to try it again.

I don't believe 100% that it's down to parantage although looking at some backgrounds and how parents can either allow their child do what they want or turn a blind eye, it can be down to how it's dealt with. My "father" although a gambler and I'm sure more than that, I was never brought up around him to experience the effects it has so I was never really under the influence of "well if dad does it then I can do it" but that doesn't mean it could have potentially had an effect and I picked up the habit anyways. I don't like pin pointing and saying "it's the area someone was brought up in" as we can hear of stories of people brought up in areas that are truly disastrous and have made a life for themselves. I moved out of the area I was brought up in, got a full time job, my Mam went to college, had a full time job and is mortage free soon. Honestly, it's not as much as the area in my case but the way I was brought up.

I honestly belive its down to the person, attitude and their views of upbringing. 70% can be the fault of the parent as in the kid was brought up around it and that's all they know and see but the encouragement needs to be there to show yes okay we smoke but that's not the life you have to have.

Again, easy for me to say when I spend more time watching sh*te on Netflix and drink tea but I know myself that my kids will have the exact same love, upbringing, education and encouragement I was given but I can't predict their attitudes towards drugs BUT I will make it clear that under 18, under the same roof, it won't be tolerated and I so much as hear that they owe money or someone wants to threathen, I would drag them to the Guards myself and make them sit there and tell them exactly what they've done and who threatening. Once they hit 18 and they have the mental capibility to know that I won't be picking up their slack or feeding their habits, they can either get a job and pay for their own habits or they can go somewhere else. I've seen family members tell their child to leave if they thought for one minute that any form of drugs was going to enter their front door and lo and behold, kids have either gone to college or got jobs. What they do in that time is their own responsibility but they know that they won't be landing their troubles on their own front door.

I've a BIL who smokes weed like it's cigerettes in a packet and doesn't know the value that €50 doesn't mean smoke it all in one day and then run back to his dad and ask for more. Although FIL is an enabler and happily sits there and encourages it. My partner and BIL have had the same exact upbringing, events and lack of encouragement in their lives, my partner knew from an early age he wasn't going to live the life his parents taught was normal and let their kids do literally whatever they wanted and he went to college, got a job and his now nearly there for a deposit on a house while his brother, on the other side of 25, can't hold down a job and still sponges off not only people but the social as well.

My point is (I will admit I could have said the first time) is no two people are the same with different or same backgrounds. You can blame the parent, the area, the upbringing, the attitudes etc but I genuinely think its the outlook and the person themselves. A kid with a €2,000 drug debt says to me that they genuinely don't have any fears of the consequences and will happily put their lives and families life's at risk for 1 minute of euphoria. That being said, the dealers who genuinely think a 14 year old asking for a €50 bag and will pay the following day or week, is either clever or just plain stupid.

Why would they encourage kids to do drugs? Yes I understand its money in their eyes but seriously, you're going to threaten a 14 year old for €2,000 when I'm sure they could make that €2,000 in 5 minutes selling to someone who has a clue? It can't just be me who thinks the dealers are as much as the blame too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Im firmly in the category of youve made your bed now lie in it. But I think in reality id pay the debt for the sake of my child and the safety of my home and other children. Its easy to see how a parent could continue to do this long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

My children aren't in the right "demographic" to get addicted to drugs seeing as most drug addicts come from broken, traumatised upbringings (through no fault of their own, I hasten to add!).

However if they did get into some trouble with unsavory characters, somehow, then I would just write the dealer a check and examine myself as to where I went wrong. I wouldn't do the same for any of my other relatives, such as my husband, though.
    You clearly dont know much about drugs or drug addicts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Would you do this?

Ive heard 'stories' of gardai recommending people to do so, so maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You clearly dont know much about drugs or drug addicts.

To be fair, it's interesting to see a human has figured out how to protect themselves and their loved ones from mental health issues and addiction problems, id imagine researchers are all over them, trying to figure out how they done it!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

still grows out the ground it shouldnt be as expensive as it is

i know a fella who has been jonny appleseeding the mountains of wicklow for ten years at least,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Housefree wrote: »
    Drugs dealers aren't going around giving freebies to kids to get them hooked, most people get introduced to drugs by friends/relatives/peer group

That's not what the great Tom Lehrer says:

"He gives the kids free samples
    Because he knows full well
    That today's young innocent faces
    Will be tomorrow's clientele.
    Here's a cure for all your troubles,
    Here's an end to all distress.
    It's the old dope peddler
    With his powdered happiness."

Would be funny if the reality wasn't so desperately sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 iconofsin

I have read through this thread and am shocked at the lack of people suggesting that you go to the police.

If someone starts demanding that you pay them money or else your house will be burned down ( or anything else for that matter ) you go to the police immediately, they do take that sort of thing very seriously and even if they cant do anything to the perpetrators they are obliged to protect you and there are a range of things that can be done.

The only exception is if you are in immediate danger which you cant reliably escape from ( IE being robbed at gunpoint ) in which case you give them what they want then go to the police ASAP.

If you do pay then they may make larger and larger demands in the future which will go past the point of causing financial ruin and to the point where you cant pay - then what do you do start working for them as a criminal/prostitute?

You certainly don't pay up if your sister calls and tells you she has 3 armed men in the house demanding payment - if that happens you call the police immediately!

You also dont pay if someone tells you that your uncle, cousin, grandchild owes a "debt" - in such situations this is indistinguishable from someone running a extortion racket and having the gaul to try and make it sound legitimate by using the work "debt".

Serious question - why is it that in Ireland so many people wont even consider going to the garda?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

No , I’d invite the creditor over for a sit down

• Registered Users Posts: 20,515 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

You obviously don't live in the real world,

Whoever comes looking for that money owes the money to some else higher up the chain, , Your best off not have that person come looking for your son or the money ,

How do the guards stop your car getting burned out or your windows smashed or worse shot in ,Your son & other kids then also become targets ,

If your son is stupid enough to end up in debt of 2 grand you need to deal with it & deal with him,,

Happens a hell of a lot more than you think , i know a lad its happened t0o twice , His parents had to fork both times up & the 3rd time it happened he done himself in & his parents still had a bill to pay , Only 18 year old very sad ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

I'd say theres a fair chance these dealers allow a debt to be built up intentionally so they have an excuse for extortion. That supposed debt of 2000 in the OP could likely have been just 200 but "interest" got added. Once you pay once they'll come back again.

He said the family’s son’s cocaine debt was just €300 but this escalated to over €3,000.

“The criminals began to phone him, demanding money. At the beginning only the son was threatened,” recalled Mr Mangan in his book.

“Then his family began to receive intimidating phone calls. Finally, the criminals started to turn up at the home, threatening violence.”

Because of the family’s fear for their lives, they installed the measures of an electric wire, activated at night, running about an inch above the perimeter of the wall of the house to give the criminals a shock if they tried to get over the wall.

If they succeeded in bypassing the wire, they were met with the trench filled nail-laiden timber, Mr Mangan recalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Oh ..

I hope you're right about your kids ,

But thats not always the way it works ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Your sarcasm antenna must be broken. Clearly the poster was not serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Jesus Mary and the small donkey! You don’t get the humour? “Money doesn’t grow on trees”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Maybe - he could have been sharing it around , but if he'd been dodging the dealer for a good while - and several missed payment deadlines,theyre going to be adding a lot extra on in "late charges"

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Neighbour of mine unfortunately killed himself over a drug debt. Dealers came after the family looking for the money he owes, they went to the guards who said the best thing would be to pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Deleted.

(eta) didn't realise this was an old thread that was somehow at the top of my feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,208 ✭✭✭✭ Emery Rough Bongo

Were I aware there was a drug habit underlying any debt I wouldn’t help relative pay it… except maybe if I were a mother, as mothers (& indeed fathers) do anything for their child. Paying for somebody else’s non-drug (as far as I know) addiction is something I once found myself doing inadvertently. All one does in these situations is enable the addiction. Regarding drugs, though, people can get killed over such debts, so I’m not entirely sure how I would react.

A friend of mine paid his friend’s €20K drug debt using life savings, with promise to be repaid. He was never repaid but his ex friend went on to be a very successful businessman, kicked the drugs, earning a fortune.

Can I get away with anything if I pay the piper, so to speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I would just move house, country etc

Then I would let the Guards know everything I know about the dealer, hopefully the might raid his house.

If I was very old or terminally ill, I would get a gun and go find him or burn his house down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I'd have a sit down with the dealer. In fairness I would pay them a bit, not the whole amount. I'd tell them not to come back and not to give any more drugs to my child or there would be serious consequences for them.

Back in London in the 90s one of my employees had a son in a similar situation. Threats had been made to the young fella when they called on a weekday and they said they'd be back on Sunday to collect. When they arrived the young fella wasn't there. At least ten Connemara builders, a few lads from Belfast, and a few hardy souls from Clare were. The Jamaicans nearly **** themselves. Their car keys were confiscated, the car was brought away and burned out. The error of their ways were pointed out to them verbally, there was really no need for violence. They handed over whatever they had in their pockets to compensate us for our time and the stress they had caused the family.

Drug dealers are fit for anything a lot of the time, but they're certainly not hardy.

Very similiar situation happened with my younger brother when he was just 16 - my mother paid off the debt (€600) but it didn't stop there.

They continued threatening him, trying to force him into becoming a courier for them. This is how they get their claws into young people.

It eventually stopped when my older brothers found out what was going on (our mother didn't tell us) and intervened with the dealer face-to-face. I don't know any details of what was said, but it stopped after that.

I just remembered another local kid, a neighbour's youngest son, similar age, who got pulled in the same way, only he did agree to start couriering drugs and even hiding them in his home (without the knowledge of his family).

House was eventually raided and he ended up doing prison time.

• Advertisement

mod

old thread but the topic is not necessarily running on borrowed time so it’s fair enough to continue I think.

I might just split off the new comments into their own thread though.

Advertisement