Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moving to greystones from Rathfarnham

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

seasidedub wrote: »
    I am a born and bred Malahider who made the move to Greystones in 2020 just at the beginning of lockdown part one.

Nobody, but nobody could understand what the hell I was doing. I had a 4 bed semi on the coast road in Malahide with a sea view and 3 minutes walk to Low Rock for swimming. But, for me, there are similarities yet significant differences between Malahide and Greystones.

Malahide is a village but still feels more suburban, Greystones is a village and there is still a nice ruralish feel to it.

The outdoor activities are superb. There is no comparison between swimming at North Beach, the Cove or and of the little coves under the Teddy Bear to either Low or High Rock in Malahide.

Generally in Malahide the walk is along the coast road down to Portmarnock and along the velvet strand there, or up to the Castle and around the grounds. There is also Paddys Hill, or the backroads around Malahide and of course drive out to Howth. In Greystones, there is the cliff walk, walk to Delgany via Killincarraig, walk to Sugarloaf, forests, beach, easy drive on back roads to Glendalough, Enniskerry Knocksink woods, any and all Wicklow Mountains from Djouce to Lugnaquilla etc. It just feels like the closest thing to living in the "country" yet with the city close.

You can also dart out to Dalkey, Killiney etc., to see the folks who live on the hill......swim at the Vico or 40 foot with ease.

To me there is no comparison to a coffee along Church Road outside the Happy Pear where the wooden benching now is or at Spendloves at the Harbour to anywhere for coffee in Malahide. The Grain Store in Kilruddery is gorgeous, Avoca in Enniskerry etc.

I was able to unload an inefficient house which needed huge renovation for a new one at the Harbour, A rated, and still have a little left over. A no brainer.

Greystones feels more "hippy", Malahide is more yuppy. It is closer to the airport though......

Caveat: I spent nearly a year coming down to Greystones on days off, even in bad weather to really see was it for me. And I miss Pilates in Malahide tenis club overlooking the sea..........

Sounds like you made a great move. I'm completely sold on Greystones being the better place and definitely prefer 'hippie' to 'yuppy'!!

We could only afford a house a half hour walk outside the village in Malahide but it is still closer to family and the city. We keep jumping from one place to the other and can't make our minds up.

Great post by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

I am a born and bred Malahider who made the move to Greystones in 2020 just at the beginning of lockdown part one.

Nobody, but nobody could understand what the hell I was doing. I had a 4 bed semi on the coast road in Malahide with a sea view and 3 minutes walk to Low Rock for swimming. But, for me, there are similarities yet significant differences between Malahide and Greystones.

Malahide is a village but still feels more suburban, Greystones is a village and there is still a nice ruralish feel to it.

The outdoor activities are superb. There is no comparison between swimming at North Beach, the Cove or and of the little coves under the Teddy Bear to either Low or High Rock in Malahide.

Generally in Malahide the walk is along the coast road down to Portmarnock and along the velvet strand there, or up to the Castle and around the grounds. There is also Paddys Hill, or the backroads around Malahide and of course drive out to Howth. In Greystones, there is the cliff walk, walk to Delgany via Killincarraig, walk to Sugarloaf, forests, beach, easy drive on back roads to Glendalough, Enniskerry Knocksink woods, any and all Wicklow Mountains from Djouce to Lugnaquilla etc. It just feels like the closest thing to living in the "country" yet with the city close.

You can also dart out to Dalkey, Killiney etc., to see the folks who live on the hill......swim at the Vico or 40 foot with ease.

To me there is no comparison to a coffee along Church Road outside the Happy Pear where the wooden benching now is or at Spendloves at the Harbour to anywhere for coffee in Malahide. The Grain Store in Kilruddery is gorgeous, Avoca in Enniskerry etc.

I was able to unload an inefficient house which needed huge renovation for a new one at the Harbour, A rated, and still have a little left over. A no brainer.

Greystones feels more "hippy", Malahide is more yuppy. It is closer to the airport though......

Caveat: I spent nearly a year coming down to Greystones on days off, even in bad weather to really see was it for me. And I miss Pilates in Malahide tenis club overlooking the sea..........

Great post. Did you have any kids to cater for in schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭seasidedub

Great post. Did you have any kids to cater for in schools?

No, in fairness, I didn't. However, I know for a fact that every school in Malahide is over subscribed and cut throat in terms of admission. There appear to me to be more schools in Greystones, a good variety of same too.

It seems so family oriented here, droves of kids who all appear to be being brought up really well - they all seem to be outdoorsy, personally never witnessed anti social behaviour. I'm out of that phase now, but love seeing all the kids swimming, on their bikes, skateboarding, body boarding, playing football etc. Feels so vibrant.

Might not seem ideal for a middle aged person like me, but I wake up happy every day. Walks, swims, coffee shops, hikes, climbs. I feel like I'm 25.

If you've got kids, this is a great place.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Cheeseplant

No, in fairness, I didn't. However, I know for a fact that every school in Malahide is over subscribed and cut throat in terms of admission. There appear to me to be more schools in Greystones, a good variety of same too.

It seems so family oriented here, droves of kids who all appear to be being brought up really well - they all seem to be outdoorsy, personally never witnessed anti social behaviour. I'm out of that phase now, but love seeing all the kids swimming, on their bikes, skateboarding, body boarding, playing football etc. Feels so vibrant.

Might not seem ideal for a middle aged person like me, but I wake up happy every day. Walks, swims, coffee shops, hikes, climbs. I feel like I'm 25.

If you've got kids, this is a great place.

Yes I can only think of one secondary in Malahide really, and not many options surrounding it.

There is ceratinly a different feeling between the two towns. Alot of what you describe is also available in Malahide as a coastal town, but it doesn't have the same feel to it. And Greystones has more coffee shops than anywhere else I've ever been.. and all pretty good too I have to say! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭House Hunt

One thing I'd add to this conversation if commuting by dart, the single line from Bray to Greystones adds a considerable amount of time to commuting in comparison to Malahide

• Advertisement

Greystones a great spot but depends where you live there. There's a lot of places coined as Greystones but they're not...they're Kilcoole which is absolutely fine but it's intelligent marketing and a push at best. It's also an incredibly busy place these days and has changed A LOT compared to what it traditionally was. Dart as mentioned a total pain in the bum too with that one track , hopefully changes soon. Much better pubs and restaurants further North too but Hungry Monk is class, a lovely restaurant. We nearly bought there and did notice strong community feel which is good or bad depending on what you're looking for. Best of luck with the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Greystones a great spot but depends where you live there. There's a lot of places coined as Greystones but they're not...they're Kilcoole which is absolutely fine but it's intelligent marketing and a push at best. It's also an incredibly busy place these days and has changed A LOT compared to what it traditionally was. Dart as mentioned a total pain in the bum too with that one track , hopefully changes soon. Much better pubs and restaurants further North too but Hungry Monk is class, a lovely restaurant. We nearly bought there and did notice strong community feel which is good or bad depending on what you're looking for. Best of luck with the move.

Where did you move in the end and what put you off?

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Where did you move in the end and what put you off?

This was 6 years ago now. We were looking at the Marina and other spots around Greystones at the time but picked a different house between Bray and Enniskerry so still North Wicklow, suits our lifestyle big time. I think so much is weighted to the house you're buying and what your money is getting you. I'd definitely consider one of the houses in the Burnaby or on Church Road though if the right one was going ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

This was 6 years ago now. We were looking at the Marina and other spots around Greystones at the time but picked a different house between Bray and Enniskerry so still North Wicklow, suits our lifestyle big time. I think so much is weighted to the house you're buying and what your money is getting you. I'd definitely consider one of the houses in the Burnaby or on Church Road though if the right one was going ;-)

Ah here, we'd all like to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

House Hunt wrote: »
    One thing I'd add to this conversation if commuting by dart, the single line from Bray to Greystones adds a considerable amount of time to commuting in comparison to Malahide

Plus cost as well - if you pay say everyday on the DART its considerably cheaper to travel from Bray to the city than from Greystones

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,787 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

If you have a big budget yes definitely - a lot of the newer parts of Greystones are closer to Kilcoole and Delgany e.g. Eden Gate, Eden Wood, Glenheron - Nice places as well but maybe a bit too far out of the twon

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement