Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Revolution of the Daleks - BBC America - Captain Jack Christmas Episode

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,737 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Caught the episode today and eh, yeah it wasn't great but Xmas episodes rarely are. I really don't think there's a new dalek story left at this stage though, I'd love it if the pepperpots were retired for a few years (that ain't likely of course). Jack's return felt very arbitrary and against a 3 companion TARDIS felt wasted really.

I've said it before but it's a long time since Dr. who felt like essential viewing, and wouldn't necessarily put that at Chibnalls feet - even if his reign is mid-B level on average. The show's part of the TV furniture: that slightly worn sofa that's still comfy enough to flop into, even if it's a long time since it's immaculate days. Like Top Gear before it, the Late Late or institutional soaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭ebbsy

pixelburp wrote: »
    Caught the episode today and eh, yeah it wasn't great but Xmas episodes rarely are. I really don't think there's a new dalek story left at this stage though, I'd love it if the pepperpots were retired for a few years (that ain't likely of course). Jack's return felt very arbitrary and against a 3 companion TARDIS felt wasted really.

I've said it before but it's a long time since Dr. who felt like essential viewing, and wouldn't necessarily put that at Chibnalls feet - even if his reign is mid-B level on average. The show's part of the TV furniture: that slightly worn sofa that's still comfy enough to flop into, even if it's a long time since it's immaculate days. Like Top Gear before it, the Late Late or institutional soaps.

Since the show came back , in terms of Dalek stories I don't think they have bettered "Dalek".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,737 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ebbsy wrote: »
    Since the show came back , in terms of Dalek stories I don't think they have bettered "Dalek".

The Stolen Earth maybe, if only 'cos it had that MCU / Infinity War style feel to it, RTD just going for broke with the Daleks, with the biggest threat he could imagine while including a crossover with Torchwood, and featured every companion up to then. Totally overblown compared with "Dalek" but as pure entertainment has been the dalek zenith IMO. I have a soft spot for Aslym of the Daleks 'cos it was a neat little concept.

After that, the law of diminishing returns has felt too acute; oh look another straggler from the Time War. Let's count the minutes before it gets loose and <other character's> hubris is revealed. I've heard it's not true the BBC have to use them every year or else they lose the license, in which case it makes the constant use more baffling (beyond the merchandising aspect)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,753 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Everything in this episode was done before. Robertson was acting like Van Statten in "Dalek", the Prime Minister unveiling the Daleks as a defence force for Britain was just like Churchill in Victory of the Daleks, the pure versus unpure Daleks trope has been done before, even the Doctor breaking out of prison is a tired trope by now.
    I really feel that the current run of Doctor Who has run its course. Take nothing away from Jodie, she was a good choice, but she's been wasted. I think it's time to put the TARDIS back into storage for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Been rewatching the Capaldi era again. He is a great actor, and Michelle Gomez is just fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just seen this last night. Very meh alright. Been there, seen it already type of feel, but somehow more rubbish. Script and plots have really let down Jodi as she is a great actor, her potential has been absolutely wasted.

We've come a long way from 'Heaven Sent'

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Advertisement