Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think life is as fun for an introvert?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I wouldn't have thought people that love discussing their introversion on public message boards with thousands of users are as introverted as they think.

Is it more social awkwardness than genuine introversion?
    It's much easier to discuss these things online. I could easily tell people here that I sometimes like to wear women's lingerie, but I'd never admit that in a real life discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

I'm trying to think of any real situation where that is true but can't. I've worked in I.T. for over 25 years and it's traditionally seen as the home of the reclusive nerd. But you have to work in a team, cooperate, have excellent communication skills, be able to influence people, self promotion etc.

So you greatly benefit from extrovert skills even if you just turn them on and off as needed.

Have to agree and I consider myself introverted.
    20+ years experience and generally what ive seen its the louder/more confident people (but Definitely not necessarily more competent.) that put themselves forward for promotions and management.
    The more seniority, the more meetings and people management. At least in places where I've worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Introverts were always to an extent seen as people with a bit of an issue. You ‘could’ get labeled antisocial, weird whatever... but if I’m feeling introverted a certain day or week and for the most part keeping my own company, I’m as content as if I’m around friends, crowds, family. It’s no biggie at all.

On the other hand my Dad is on the phone constantly since COVID. He’s making reasons why he should be of an exception to go see people.... just drop my aunt her birthday present , “sure I’ll be just 5 minutes” (yeah right), just visit his friend down the road and loan him some tools for a job he’s doing... the 5 minute thing again where we know it would end up him in there giving a dig out...

I find people who are a bit introverted more normal than this kind of immense neediness.

People who are ‘a bit’ introverted are usually pretty level headed, self sufficient, are without the crying need to have to be surrounded constantly by people.

Ok you can take it to the other extreme that’s unhealthy if you are a hermit but this constantly craving human contact to the point of being depressed without it I find odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Imbatman

Steve F wrote: »
    I only need my siblings and my Wife and two daughters in my life to be happy.
    I can honestly say I wouldn't miss anyone else in this world if I never saw them or spoke to them again.
    Also, hand on heart the so called "Lockdown" this year hardly affected me at all.
    I just don't "do" other people
    Extreme introvert here and enjoy being one.
    My idea of Hell is large gatherings of people and have to make small talk and keep up conversations about meaningless sh!t that I have no interest in.
    Weddings are especially trying for me.
    Lighthouse keeper my dream job ha ha
    Same as yourself,wife,two daughters,now a grandchild and extended family,don’t bother with fake friends anymore and much happier for it,and the part about lighthouse keeper well since I was a kid that was my dream job lol.This lockdown taught me people are either able to cope with this lockdown(introvert) or they moan about missing the pub and the social scene(extrovert)I’m much better in my own company.

Advertisement