Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online passport renewal

• 06-02-2020 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭

Just an FYI this service is incredible - I applied online Monday and I received by new passport in the post today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Used it when I was living abroad, got my passport in ten days. Amazing service

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Tazio

agreed... it's a great service... although I did struggle to get a good enough photo using the old phone.... the website didn't think I was bright enough... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Just an FYI this service is incredible - I applied online Monday and I received by new passport in the post today.

How does it work? In layman’s terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    How does it work? In layman’s terms.

Go online, answer some questions, send a photo. Budda bam Budda Bing. Your done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭earlytobed

fill out the form, upload a photo, pay the fee, wait a couple of days, new passport

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

I'm assuming it's sent back reg post?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I renewed my passport last year. I remember thinking it was one of the slickest, most customer friendly, and technically advanced online services I’ve used. Like noteworthy in how good it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,822 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

surprised but I thought it was very good , I thought you had to offer your first born to get one. A bit of flaffing taking a photo in the right light that it would accept but no schlepping down to Garda stations and it was quick. Probably a big money spinner now with all the plastic paddies in the UK

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

I renewed my passport last year. I remember thinking it was one of the slickest, customer friendly, and technically advanced online services I’ve used. Like noteworthy in how good it was.

I know, I'm scared too. Especially considering Revenue Online and the whole MyGovID rigmarole also work reasonably well. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I renewed my passport last year. I remember thinking it was one of the slickest, customer friendly, and technically advanced online services I’ve used. Like noteworthy in how good it was.

It really is a shining example of what can be achieved in service delivery by Government departments should best practice be adopted across the board.

Whilst it is an in the main impeccable service.
    It really highlights how wrong so many other departments are at handling their client contact and service delivery.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I know, I'm scared too. Especially considering Revenue Online and the whole MyGovID rigmarole also work reasonably well. :pac:

I know the tinfoil hate crew hate MyGov ID, but it’s very very slick and easy to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Used it for my mother recently. Very impressed with the speed.

One small criticism is that you can't renew a passport and apply for a passport card in one transaction.

If you already have both already you can renew them together. Or if you have an existing passport you can apply for a card online (also very good service)

If you try to order the two together it asks you for your current passport card number (different to passport number) and there's no option to say that you don't have one.

EDIT: turns out you can. ignore me

I know the tinfoil hate crew hate MyGov ID, but it’s very very slick and easy to use.

For the luvva Mike all it is is SSO - a bunch of different services probably bolted to the one LDAP server. Second-year stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    One small criticism is that you can't renew a passport and apply for a passport card in one transaction.

Yes you can.
    Both my wife and I recently renewed our passports and got our 1st passport cards each in a "single" transaction, as did our son a few months ago.

Are you by any chance confusing the passport card number requirements, with the request for your PSC number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Used it for my mother recently. Very impressed with the speed.

If you already have both already you can renew them together. Or if you have an existing passport you can apply for a card online (also very good service)

If you try to order the two together it asks you for your current passport card number (different to passport number) and there's no option to say that you don't have one.

I did it for a friend a few weeks ago. Renewed his passport and ordered his 1st passport card in one transaction. €100 all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Darranj85

I was amazed at how fast it was, fantastic service

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

banie01 wrote: »
    Yes you can.
    Both my wife and I recently renewed our passports and got our 1st passport cards each in a "single" transaction, as did our son a few months ago.

Are you by any chance confusing the passport card number requirements, with the request for your PSC number?
    I did it for a friend a few weeks ago. Renewed his passport and ordered his 1st passport card in one transaction. €100 all in.

well f** me then so :pac:
    I don't think it was the psc number. I just took a look at the process again. There's a question "have you previously been issued a passport card?". It's not impossible that I answered that wrong.

Maybe i'm just too cynical and expect some sort of problem from an irish online system.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Great service but it seems to be impossible to upload your own photo, had to go to one of the booths and use a code from there. I'm not the only one this has happened to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Great service , and can do it for kids passport too, which saves such a load of hassle ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭biketard

Just did this on Monday. Renewed passport and applied for first card. Admittedly it was a bit fussy about the photo, but I managed to get one accepted by changing how the picture was cropped. I'm in Edinburgh, so this saved me a load of hassle.

Will post here when I receive it, although it said it was estimating Friday next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Great service but it seems to be impossible to upload your own photo, had to go to one of the booths and use a code from there. I'm not the only one this has happened to either.

I disagree - I used my iPhone to take my picture on Monday evening and it was fine. Used it on my 4 year old son last year and accepted also no issues.

Once you follow the photo guidelines it works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I disagree - I used my iPhone to take my picture on Monday evening and it was fine. Used it on my 4 year old son last year and accepted also no issues.

Once you follow the photo guidelines it works perfectly.

Fair enough. I followed the guidelines to the letter and no luck after multiple attempts. Similar story with a few people from work.

jimgoose wrote: »
    For the luvva Mike all it is is SSO - a bunch of different services probably bolted to the one LDAP server. Second-year stuff.

Not into technical mumbo-jumbo, Jim. Don’t care how the consultants and neckbeards implemented it at the ‘backend’. It’s easy for the citizen to use.

Not into technical mumbo-jumbo, Jim. Don’t care how the consultants and neckbeards implemented it at the ‘backend’. It’s easy for the citizen to use.

What I'm trying to say is that there is no reason in this day and age why all Government/public-sector systems shouldn't be similarly pleasant. It's easy enough to do, even for a neckbeard. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭SeaFields

I used it for my last renewal. Again the photo caused a bit of an issue but got it in the end. It's a great service overall.

There are a fair few public service online platforms which are great. Paye anytime is another that springs to mind. It's mad people pay companies commission to interact with that system on their behalf!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Fair enough. I followed the guidelines to the letter and no luck after multiple attempts. Similar story with a few people from work.

Do you wear glasses ?
    I do and it's impossible to get a photo with glasses to work, just took them off ...

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I'm looking to update my passport to my marriage name - can that be done online do you know?
    I know i have to pay the full cost again - would i just do it as if i was requesting a new or first time passport?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Why do we have to pay for passports? What right does the State have to do this to us? Am I not Irish if I can't pony up their blood money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why do we have to pay for passports? What right does the State have to do this to us? Am I not Irish if I can't pony up their blood money?

Oh FFS, there is always one.

Advertisement