Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drink ad's of yesterday.

Options
  • 08-09-2010 10:26am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

Considering the woefull advertising campagains of Guinness and Bulmers at the moment i remember when drink ad's were fun in the 70's and 80's.There was the Guinness surfer ad, the Bulmer's ad's that pastiched ZZ top's music videos and my favourite,the Harp Viking ad's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Jawohl, that Guinness sufing ad was a classic. However there was a song "Delirium Tremens" referring to this ad.
    It's line:
    As I sat looking up at the Guiness, I could never figure out how your man could stay up on that surfboard after fourteen pints of stout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭shivs

Anyone rem..I'll have a pint of Murphys, sure there's nothing to compare, The creaminess and the smoothiness of a pint that's brewed with care, so ifyou feel like joining me, come on in and share, a murphys when your working day is over!

Love that ad - love to see it again:Do

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Around August September 1978 there was a classic Guinness advert.

It had the theme of things working out. It had the lines.
    -It's when you play your heart out and the man says you are the best. [Talent competition]

- It's when you get a wrong connection and a date with someone new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Best ad ever, MURPHYS!

Can you pull this off :cool:

Cold Guinness back in 1976

Here is a compilation from the 1970's, dodgy dress sense and haircuts all over the place

There is a user on youtube called Guinnessads who has most of the old ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭BigBenRoeth

Not arsed looking on youtube,but what about Ronnie Drew in the add for Bass?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

Double diamond works wonders, I wonder :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Not arsed looking on youtube,but what about Ronnie Drew in the add for Bass?
    "Aaaah, that's Bass".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Sally O'Brien and the way she might look at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

I remember the Guinness Light ads from 1979. They featured clips from the first Moon landing which had taken place only 10 years earlier.

Of course light Guinness was a disaster which didn't stop them trying again with Breo (also a disaster!)

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭ham_n_mustard

two pints of harp and a packet of dates please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Virtually all the Harp ads are online with the exception of the vikings one,haven't been able to track it down at all.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

1974 Harp ad here in this UTV ad break. Anyone know if this was shown on RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

John C wrote: »
    Jawohl, that Guinness sufing ad was a classic. However there was a song "Delirium Tremens" referring to this ad.
    It's line:
    As I sat looking up at the Guiness, I could never figure out how your man could stay up on that surfboard after fourteen pints of stout.

As far as I remember this line in the song is from when Christy was on a session in a pub in Doolin and the poster was stuck up on the ceiling of the pub.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Double diamond works wonders, I wonder :confused:

Guinness Light original space shuttle ad and a followup.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I remember the Bass triangle song. Will see if I can find it.

Bass had great ad's, their version of The rocky road to Dublin was brilliant.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bullethead

https://youtu.be/JgkGjOfkvck

I still love this song

Carling black label
    La danse de mardi gras
    Balfa brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Carling black label had some classics.

https://youtu.be/u18b65Om2jA

This looks like a compilation

https://youtu.be/tGOo6pzAdcs

Muppet man

• Advertisement

The Bulmers ZZ Top ads, manky drink but they used to do great ads.

Longer version can be found towards the end here.

Loved the Harp Viking ads. Still looking for the full length version of this one, plus the follow-up where the leader of the Vikings bangs his head coming in the door and gets knocked unconscious.

Another short follow up ad can be found here at the 4:08 mark.

I remember as well related pub stickers for Harp with a silhouette of a Viking on a blue background.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

We lived in the UK in the sixties.

One ad I remember praised a beer (no idea which one) as follows:

"It looks good, tastes good and by golly it does you good!"

Breaks about 15 advertising standards nowadays.

cml387 wrote: »
    We lived in the UK in the sixties.

One ad I remember praised a beer (no idea which one) as follows:

"It looks good, tastes good and by golly it does you good!"

Breaks about 15 advertising standards nowadays.

Anyone remember the old Britvic ad where the caveman clubs the woman over the head and drags her along the ground by the hair?

That probably wouldn't go down too well these days.

I'm not sure why they had a guy with a pronounced Nordie accent playing someone who's supposed to be from Cork in this series of ads for Murphys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I'm not sure why they had a guy with a pronounced Nordie accent playing someone who's supposed to be from Cork in this series of ads for Murphys.

If I'm right the Samurai ad series followed next (an ad series I found frankly bizarre) and I think that was Murphys last big promotional push.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The samurai ad series was done to fit in with sponsoring an anime thing on Channel 4, I think. Heineken then seemed to basically give up pushing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭howyanow

https://youtu.be/VxJeYY-VI-8

Smithwicks Ad Toto Schillachi!

ShyMets wrote: »
    If I'm right the Samurai ad series followed next (an ad series I found frankly bizarre) and I think that was Murphys last big promotional push.

I liked those samurai ads. I remember shortly after Murphys ran a campaign "in Cork we always drink Murphys" but as far as I remember it was print and bus shelters etc. Dont think there were corresponding tv adverts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I liked those samurai ads. I remember shortly after Murphys ran a campaign "in Cork we always drink Murphys" but as far as I remember it was print and bus shelters etc. Dont think there were corresponding tv adverts.

They were certainly unique. But I just never got them. Its a pity they didn't try to push Murphys more. As stouts go its not a bad one. But that's for a different thread

Advertisement