Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you been out caching yet?

• 14-04-2016 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

For most caching seems to be a seasonal activity and a lot of the caches I'm finding have been untouched since '15. Half the ones I go looking for seem to be missing, some of these have a DNF or 2 before me so they were probably pointless to go looking for in the first place. Of the ones I do find a good share are saturated with water, usually a kind of reddish yellowy water and some rusted goodies.

Has anyone had similar luck this year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Hi, new to the forum, not to caching. Have done a few this year, and yep Irish weather has taken its toll on some.

Planning on placing some this year myself.

I haven't been out caching since the college year started, looking forwards to when my exams are done! My own cache I haven't seen since last summer when I had to replace it, it was found once then, then nothing for months on end, till it's been found twice in the last month and no mention of soggy logs or anything else, quite happy to hear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Found 5 today and only 2 were missing. Think I might start carrying around replacement log sheets anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I just started caching over here in Japan. It's amazing that this thing is so popular and I'd never really heard of it till a few months back - even in my tiny country town I found one literally 5 minutes from my apartment.
    I foresee doing plenty more of these in the coming months as all the local ones seem to have pretty active Found rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Cool of this thread to put up. Haven't searched for any before but been planning to get a Garmin GPS for road cycling, hopefully be able to use that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Ashill5

Forgive me for my ignorance but what is caching!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We found 3 yesterday in the Sperrin Mountains, all good but one was a little damp.

We don't do so much over the winter, we much rather seek out the more rural isolated caches and so a bit of decent weather is needed to ensure its fun for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Only started since last Saturday. Found 14 so far but went looking for closer to 20. A good chunk of my DNFs were definitely not placed with the Irish winter weather in mind!

Can't wait till I get a car! Although I actually go out either to geocache, or do other stuff. Like if I'm going for a walk, I don't go caching. The odd time I've gone and picked up a cache while wasting time and there's one or two nearby. But usually I only find caches when I'm in the caching mood, and that means setting out with a caching plan!

Though a few years ago I was in my home village, which at the time only contained one cache. I went to the shop and my dad went to the bank, and he was ages, so I was sitting on the wall beside the car and took a notion and decided to see if I could find it. My first experience of opportunistic caching. I did, but I also saw my da driving past me and on home. So I waited a few minutes and phoned the house, and asked "Eh Da, did you forget anything?"
    "No? I went to the bank, was there something else?"
    "You forgot me!"
    My da didn't know what geocaching was of course, but he helped me place my first cache! Had he not been so ill then I bet he would have taken it up too!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 psheaser

Participated in geo caching on the Isle of Man recently, good times.

I'm hooked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

psheaser wrote: »

I'm hooked.

Are you sure you weren't fishing? ;)

Advertisement