Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seagull 1963 Buying Advice

• 09-04-2021 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Any advice on where is the best place to buy one of these? I'm looking at the 38mm version with acrylic and a display back.

Prices from c.€130 shipped on AliExpress, similar prices to be had from sellers in China and HK on Chrono24 (around €160 shipped).

If I look at any EU supplier the prices are all around €240.

Am I right in thinking even if I get stung by revenue I would only be liable for the 23% VAT? So I would still be saving around €80 by going with an AliEx seller.

Any experience of buying from AliEx vs EU sellers? I'm aware there is some debate as to the question of what models sold from China are "legit" or licensed versions (Jodie on JOMW did a video on it I think). I'm not really concerned about that to be honest, so long as the movement is a real Seagull one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

There was a decent thread on Watchuseek about this, where someone shared a buying experience and then others chimed in.

I think it was fairly positive overall.

Alternatively, you could got with Poljot24.de for the limited edition runs from the high quality manufacturers.

They are a bit salty, but Julian, the guy who runs it, has an immense reputation. So I'd trust whatever comes form there.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

Cheers, I'll check out the WatchUSeek forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

You seem to be most interested in paying as little as possible, nothing wrong with that.

I bought my first one, the basic 38mm acrylic from a fellow forumite and it originally came I believe from Watch Unique who are a European seller. The only drawback with theirs (apart from it being more money than AliE)is the writing on the display caseback but this can be easily removed.
    https://watchunique.com/product-category/seagull-1963-original/?v=d2cb7bbc0d23
    My second one I bought from Aliexpress and it was a Red-Star panda version 38/acrylic in the HKED style which has a nice dial and display back but I prefer the blue hands on the basic. I may be putting the panda up for sale so stay tuned if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PunkIPA

You seem to be most interested in paying as little as possible, nothing wrong with that.

To be honest I don't mind paying the higher EU price - I think c.€250 for a mechanical chrono is a great price and the piece looks great.

I'm just curious as to whether there is any substantial difference between the EU based pieces and the AliEx ones? I'd have no interest saving a few bob on an AliEx one if it turned out to be a lemon.

How did you find the quality on the Panda?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001304377435.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.4f1535fe417N73&algo_pvid=c3b829ea-5706-4fbe-8084-20b3dd241037&algo_expid=c3b829ea-5706-4fbe-8084-20b3dd241037-0&btsid=0bb0620316179814538144801e68ba&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

I'm considering this one, but if the quality of the EU ones is far superior I'd have no issue going that route instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

The quality was good, no complaints. I didn't have to pay duty because, if I remember correctly, it was delivered by the free post option and came via an Post. The customs declaration also I think said something like 'watch parts, value $25'.

The advantage of using Poljot24 or Watch Unique is that they will have checked the watch prior to dispatch and the after-service if needed will probably be superior. Also you won't have to wait so long for it to arrive but obviously the VAT will be included in the price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Would ali be different quality than wish

Advertisement