Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GeoHive and Historic Monument Viewer

• 25-02-2021 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Does anyone know the best way to view the Ordnance Survey of Ireland GeoHive or Archaeology.ie Historic Monument Viewer on mobile devices? They are amazing resources but I find them finicky to view on android when I am out in the field. oes anyone know good ways to use them on mobile?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OSI one simply does not work for me on mobile - i've not tried the archaeology.ie one as it seems to run on the same platform so i've not bothered.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Hi all,
    Does anyone know the best way to view the Ordnance Survey of Ireland GeoHive or Archaeology.ie Historic Monument Viewer on mobile devices? They are amazing resources but I find them finicky to view on android when I am out in the field. oes anyone know good ways to use them on mobile?
    The geolocation facility has never worked for me on any platform

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

slowburner wrote: »
    The geolocation facility has never worked for me on any platform

Geolocation works for me on the archaeology.ie mobile web, but often when you try to scroll the screen, the flipping thing reloads, which is a pain.

Tbh, none of the webgis-based viewers are that great for mobile, but that's a fault of touchscreens and not the web technology.

I mostly use https://heritagemaps.ie/WebApps/HeritageMaps/index.html rather than the NMS or OSI viewers, because for me it offers a much better range of layers

Advertisement