10-11-2020, 09:05   #466
magicbastarder

People plan to fly and drive more post-Covid, climate poll shows
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...covid-pandemic

i have two issues with the headline used - the results show people in *some* countries, and certainly far from all of them, intend to fly more.

and i'd be curious about the use of the word 'plan', as i don't know how the question was phrased. is it that people *plan* to drive more, or *expect* to drive more?
Advertisement
10-11-2020, 09:10   #467
dolanbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post

i have two issues with the headline used - the results show people in *some* countries, and certainly far from all of them, intend to fly more.

and i'd be curious about the use of the word 'plan', as i don't know how the question was phrased. is it that people *plan* to drive more, or *expect* to drive more?
I suppose it's simply a fact that most people who have missed out on a foreign holiday "plan" to take one next year when things return to "normal", as for driving, I expect that the office is calling and fewer will be WFH in future as some businesses would like to return to the presenteeism they had before.
10-11-2020, 09:17   #468
magicbastarder

perhaps the numbers who plan to fly less (fewer foreign holidays) are by extension planning to drive more (more domestic holidays).

but on your point about driving - it's not about people's expectations on whether they'll drive more compared to *during* covid, it's about whether they'll drive more compared to pre-covid.
10-11-2020, 09:57   #469
dolanbaker

Quote:
perhaps the numbers who plan to fly less (fewer foreign holidays) are by extension planning to drive more (more domestic holidays).

but on your point about driving - it's not about people's expectations on whether they'll drive more compared to *during* covid, it's about whether they'll drive more compared to pre-covid.
I would be surprised if people expect to drive more than pre-covid, people used to habitually go for a "Sunday drive" before the last fuel crisis, far fewer do so now.
So I find it hard to imagine they driving will increase further, except for "catch up" types of journey.
10-11-2020, 12:29   #470
cnocbui

Quote:

It seems perfectly clear to me from reading the article That by 'plan' they mean exactly that; a clear intention to do something.

This bit was great:

Quote:
The apparent disconnect between beliefs and actions raises fears that without strong political intervention, these actions could undermine efforts to meet the targets set in the Paris agreement and hopes of a green recovery from the coronavirus crisis.
So, people who plan to drive or fly more must be prevented from doing so. Lovely.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion