Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sharp 55" 4k -need advice on configuring Sat settings

• 23-11-2020 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Does anyone out there have a Sharp 55BJ21 TV set & have you succeeded in setting up the Satellite configuration? Their support & manual useless,

Issue is I can't find a setting for categorizing the Favorites list to Movie, News, Sport etc or a way to do timed recordings.
    So if your have done this on this TV I want to hear from you please. Yep I know this forum is about other things but I've come across solution focused experts here before!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭swoofer

have you got tv reference correct? I cant find it anywhere!!

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭mrtom

swoofer wrote: »
    have you got tv reference correct? I cant find it anywhere!!

Tell me about it. Been hunting through Sharp for a manual for this, nada!
    http://www.umc-uk.co.uk/Manuals/UMC.php

ok i found the manual, use this link and scroll down.

http://www.umc-uk.co.uk/instruction-manuals/Sharp.php

or this may take you to actual manual

http://www.umc-uk.co.uk/instruction-manuals/Sharp/Universal%20Manuals/SHA-MAN-0382_UHD%20TV_FreeviewHD%20Universal%20Manual_web%20version.pdf

i had a quick look and no mention of satellite tuner, can you do a quick pic of the rear/ and the nameplate.

its a freeview hd and saorview hd tv tuner, freeview hd is the uk DTT ie aerial not dish. you must have a compatible usb stick plugged in to get timer functions. it can be a usb stick or a usb hdd.

its a tricky manual but i know sharp . where did you by tv? i had to get last one from france.

Ok I got the quick set up guide as well and now on a desktop. There are 3 versions covered by the manual so you need to be sure yyours has the sat connector, its usually next to tv input. To get sat working, if it has sat input, you will have to choose UK as your country and it may ask for a post code and then when you scan you should get Freesat and that has an epg for 7 days.
    The problem then is when you scan soarview it may put channels in a high range.

All will become clear as you go along.

ok i found the manual, use this link and scroll down.

http://www.umc-uk.co.uk/instruction-manuals/Sharp.php

or this may take you to actual manual

http://www.umc-uk.co.uk/instruction-manuals/Sharp/Universal%20Manuals/SHA-MAN-0382_UHD%20TV_FreeviewHD%20Universal%20Manual_web%20version.pdf

i had a quick look and no mention of satellite tuner, can you do a quick pic of the rear/ and the nameplate.

its a freeview hd and saorview hd tv tuner, freeview hd is the uk DTT ie aerial not dish. you must have a compatible usb stick plugged in to get timer functions. it can be a usb stick or a usb hdd.

its a tricky manual but i know sharp . where did you by tv? i had to get last one from france.

Ok I got the quick set up guide as well and now on a desktop. There are 3 versions covered by the manual so you need to be sure yyours has the sat connector, its usually next to tv input. To get sat working, if it has sat input, you will have to choose UK as your country and it may ask for a post code and then when you scan you should get Freesat and that has an epg for 7 days.
    The problem then is when you scan soarview it may put channels in a high range.

All will become clear as you go along.

Thanks for this detail.
    I got this in Lidl last January. Set up is FTA & Sat channels populated.

This is the link Sharp support sent:

As you stated appears to be generic, no mention of which models & no mention of "Satellite" in the entire document. Have replied seeking clarification.

So do you have this model with Sat up and running with timed recording ? Remember my query is quite specific as how to categorize my long Fav list to sub groups.

Ok to avoid confusion the link I gave was the manual for the sbj21.

Its in the manual how to set up timed recordings and you can only do timed recordings on Freeview or Saorview as only these will have the 7 day epg. With the sat you will only have now and next. People near the border get freeview and saorview

You wont get a tv that will allow you to have what in essence is bouquets, all you have on this tv is a favourites listing. How many channels do you actually watch?

To be specific you cant set up timed recordings for sat channels on this tv and that's why its not covered in the manual. Look at page 18 of the manual, its quite specific.

Hope this helps.

For my own sanity have you set up timed recordings using Saorview??

• Advertisement

Ok to avoid confusion the link I gave was the manual for the sbj21.

Its in the manual how to set up timed recordings and you can only do timed recordings on Freeview or Saorview as only these will have the 7 day epg. With the sat you will only have now and next. People near the border get freeview and saorview

You wont get a tv that will allow you to have what in essence is bouquets, all you have on this tv is a favourites listing. How many channels do you actually watch?

To be specific you cant set up timed recordings for sat channels on this tv and that's why its not covered in the manual. Look at page 18 of the manual, its quite specific.

Hope this helps.

For my own sanity have you set up timed recordings using Saorview??

Thanks, you have answered my question, no bouquets on this tv!

Up to now, I'v been using the tv as a monitor from my sat receiver. I haven't set up recording on Saorview and no recording on the built in sat tuner as Sharp maintain it breaches copyright laws.Limitations.
    I am considering getting Sat receiver 4K 60fps/3D/H.265/MPEG-4 :
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001366523451.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.255061e7kLPl9g&algo_pvid=624ffc0a-3dcb-41d7-89e1-00940f75d0b6&algo_expid=624ffc0a-3dcb-41d7-89e1-00940f75d0b6-16&btsid=0b0a556316060697118398551e3345&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

When I saw true 4k@60fps on the you tube app and was so impressed with what this panel could deliver, am thinking this new device might enhance my 1080 source image. Outputs at 4k with bouquets and recording. What do you think?

I am sticking with HD for the foreseeable future but I do know that the arm chip gives a better picture even for HD as I have an arm sat receiver and I can see a difference not a lot but a difference. That item you linked to is worth a gamble and I have used gt media and they are good.

I am sticking with HD for the foreseeable future but I do know that the arm chip gives a better picture even for HD as I have an arm sat receiver and I can see a difference not a lot but a difference. That item you linked to is worth a gamble and I have used gt media and they are good.

My latest research tells me a 4K sat receiver won't make any difference.
    The end!!

Advertisement