Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

secure bike shed along side of house

• 24-06-2019 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

I have a gap of 6mx1m along the side of my house. There is a wall that divides my property from my neighbour. They have a 6mx1m along the side of their house. The wall is approx 1.8m high.

I was thinking of closing this area off and using it to store bikes. Knowing the area if it looks possible to break in they will have a go. I know nothing is totally secure but I'm looking for something that would discourage attempts.

I reckon I'd have a insulated steel door at one end, insulated wall at the other, insulate the roof and have vents at either end (door and wall). So that means the ground and one of the 6m walls is cold with the other 6m wall would be the external face of the house.

Ideally I'd like to be able to use it as a dry store i.e. keep items out there without them becoming damp, mouldy, rusty. Things like wet suits, cycling clothes, tools etc.

Do you reckon what I'm describing would work as a dry store? If not what would I need to do?
    What type of roof construction would you recommend from a security point of view?

I was thinking of supporting the roof on wooden columns on pad foundations.

Any other comments/considerations welcome.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

moldy_sea wrote: »
    I have a gap of 6mx1m along the side of my house. There is a wall that divides my property from my neighbour. They have a 6mx1m along the side of their house. The wall is approx 1.8m high.

I was thinking of closing this area off and using it to store bikes. Knowing the area if it looks possible to break in they will have a go. I know nothing is totally secure but I'm looking for something that would discourage attempts.

I reckon I'd have a insulated steel door at one end, insulated wall at the other, insulate the roof and have vents at either end (door and wall). So that means the ground and one of the 6m walls is cold with the other 6m wall would be the external face of the house.

Ideally I'd like to be able to use it as a dry store i.e. keep items out there without them becoming damp, mouldy, rusty. Things like wet suits, cycling clothes, tools etc.

Do you reckon what I'm describing would work as a dry store? If not what would I need to do?
    What type of roof construction would you recommend from a security point of view?

I was thinking of supporting the roof on wooden columns on pad foundations.

Any other comments/considerations welcome.

Planning.
    In order to be exempt it must be within Class 3 of the Exempted Development Regulations, so it must be finished in materials that match that of the main dwelling.

I'm currently doing the same to my house. Red brick parapet to front that matches the main house. I will then have a flat roof behind that is hidden by the parapet. I've no requirement to insulate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

kceire wrote: »
    Planning.
    In order to be exempt it must be within Class 3 of the Exempted Development Regulations, so it must be finished in materials that match that of the main dwelling.

I'm currently doing the same to my house. Red brick parapet to front that matches the main house. I will then have a flat roof behind that is hidden by the parapet. I've no requirement to insulate though.

We have something similar towards the back of the side entrance.
    How high can the parapet go to hide a flat roofed shed and be exempt?

Goldengirl wrote: »
    We have something similar towards the back of the side entrance.
    How high can the parapet go to hide a flat roofed shed and be exempt?

3m is the max height for a flat roof so my opinion is that if using a flat roof then the parapet must be within the 3m also.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

kceire wrote: »
    3m is the max height for a flat roof so my opinion is that if using a flat roof then the parapet must be within the 3m also.

Thanks . And what height can that wall be which would become the side wall of the shed? Again within exemption?

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Thanks . And what height can that wall be which would become the side wall of the shed? Again within exemption?

The wall has to support the roof.
    The roof can be 3m.
    So my guess is that the wall will be lower.

• Advertisement
Advertisement