Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cavity Wall insulation, worth it?

Options
  • 22-06-2019 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

Hi
    We have purchased a house at end of last year. Was cold during the summer and we are looking at ways of insulating the house.
    Firstly we want to improve the attic insulation. But a big and relatively pricey job for us will be getting the cavity walls pumped. Just wondering for people that have got it done, is it worth it? Have you noticed and improvement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I got the walls of the house pumped back in October. Over the winter the house was lovely and toasty. There was a big big difference in the heat of the house last winter to the previous winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The attic is the cheap with the best return. Pumping the walls costs a bit more but is good value. Might be worth watching out for what schemes will be brought in in relation to Climate Change Plan. That might be a year or two down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭monseiur

I understand the current grants available from SEAI are €400.00 for attic insulation, €400.00 for pumped wall insulation and €6,000.00 for external wall insulation (total wrap of house) double check with SEAI first

Not great, but every little helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

I got the walls of the house pumped back in October. Over the winter the house was lovely and toasty. There was a big big difference in the heat of the house last winter to the previous winter.

Last winter is not much of a yardstick in fairness. I live in a detached single leaf construction with no insulation. Last winter I could count on one hand the number of fires I lit.

Advertisement