Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Neighbours planning permission

• 20-06-2019 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭

Just seen a planning notice go up for the site next to ours.

We have a bungalow on a site of around half an acre near the edge of town, the site next door has a disused commercial unit on it, approx 2.5 acres which goes down along our site and then down around the back also. Planning has went in for 50 residential units.

Obviously, never thought the site would be dormant forever and in principle I have no issue with the idea of a housing development there, if anything it will spruce up the area a bit. Specifically though, is there anything I need to watch my back for here?

My only concern is boundary wise, at present it's a mounded ditch, which I have no issue with, the proposal on the application is hit and miss fencing which I'm not wild about? Would a concrete wall be an unreasonable ask? The other side of the fence is proposed parking spaces so a wall would help with keeping noise/ light from cars out, but maybe that's not a valid reason to object.

Having viewed and reviewed the application it doesn't look like our properly will be largely overlooked or over shadowed with the current configuration (not that we have a right to either of those things anyway), so that much is good. Should there be concerns over traffic? noise? storm water?

Anyone any tips or advice? Would it be normal or excessive to hire a professional to view the application from our point of view?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Only to be encouraged to hire a professional to look over the application to protect your interests. This is the only opportunity you will have to do it. Don't depend on the planners to look after your interests, they will not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Agree with the above.
    If it was a simply single dwelling beside you or an extension then that’s fair enough but a development of housing, I would want a professional looking at all aspects such as over looking, not just now but when owners move in, they may extend or over look using exempted development.

Bin stores in any, traffic and lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I don't think a wall is in reasonable. Good fences make good neighbours

I would look out for
    lighting, make sure there will be no lights half lighting up your house stopping you sleeping

Water run off is properly managed , including what happens in the event of it blocking or a huge storm, make sure it naturally has some where else to go

Parking and turning areas
    Make sure there wont be any near you that will be used inappropriately or used by bin lorry early in the morning

Grassy areas and play areas are not going to cause you issues with noise

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'd agree with others who suggested getting a planning consultant to draw up your observation.
    You might also consider getting someone to check that boundary "moulded ditch". Make sure where the actual boundary is and that they don't encroach.

You are calling it a neighbours planning permission but it is really a developer. Business is business, nothing personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

A thing to look at is working times and traffic management during the build.

With 50 houses will there be a play area if there is no area and the roads have parking spaces the parking area will become a football field and the wall the goal.

If you are worried about the boundary a survey and an objection (not an observation) on planning application being legally compliant. If you think it will be granted within your boundary ask for a further information request be made to the builder to see if they agree on what the boundary is. The council may say that it is a civil issue but they can only grant planning on land with the owners consent.

Trees if any on or near your boundary where are the roots and how will building work impact them.

Advertisement