Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Childhood movies ruined by rewatch

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Wow, no. I’d put The Shining, Carrie, Dolores Claibourne and Misery all ahead of it.

Misery for sure and possibly Carrie. The Shining not a chance imo.
    Anyway I digress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

adox wrote: »
    Misery for sure and possibly Carrie. The Shining not a chance imo.
    Anyway I digress.

Anyhoo, there’s a lot that is good about Stand By Me. It’s always impressive when a filmmaker goes contemplative and quiet instead of bombastic. So I was surprised on rewatch that I didn’t really enjoy it that much. I realised that story still does matter and that there isn’t enough story to pad out the film. The film invokes nostalgic feelings in many of us. I’m just saying you might not like as much as you remember.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Did you not watch it as a kid

Where you not let up late at weekends or something?

Shenanigans in the "it doesn't hold up" part of the thread. Die Hard is one of a small clutch of films that has remained timelessly entertaining, putting most action to shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

pixelburp wrote: »
    Shenanigans in the "it doesn't hold up" part of the thread. Die Hard is one of a small clutch of films that has remained timelessly entertaining, putting most action to shame.

Oh yeah, I'm not disagreeing with any of that TBF.

I think for me I've just watched it too many times, when I was a kid it had this kind of adventure feel to it, all entirely contained in a skyscraper; now in parts it feels almost too familiar.

Still essential viewing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Nicely shot, some funny lines but there’s not much to it at the same time. It came as a surprise for me to realise that when watching it recently. Have you watched it as an adult?

Yes numerous times but I find it hard to watch as it’s incredibly sad. I also read the book and the film is better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Walter Bishop

Karachi wrote: »
    Darby O Gill. Ruined by re-watch..

Also ruined by a watch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Karachi wrote: »
    V for victory with the aliens every Sunday night. Mouseys!!!

I was so excited for the remake a few years back and they used Morena Baccarin for Diana which was a great choice. Plus they got the original Diana to play her mother.

It wasnt that good, but then in the very last episode of the 2nd series Marc Singer (who played Donovan in the original series) suddenly reappeared onscreen! It was cancelled immediately after the second season aired.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

....... wrote: »
    I was so excited for the remake a few years back and they used Morena Baccarin for Diana which was a great choice. Plus they got the original Diana to play her mother.

It wasnt that good, but then in the very last episode of the 2nd series Marc Singer (who played Donovan in the original series) suddenly reappeared onscreen! It was cancelled immediately after the second season aired.
    I loved the original, so was quite excited when this started up again.
    Season one was a bit bleh, season 2 picked up a bit and then the end was whopper And then they cancelled it.

Also my introduction to Morena Baccarin

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

The original IT with Tim Curry, if you watch it now its similar to an episode of goosebumps. Although the character is still quite scary. I remember Sky 1 showing it around 8 O'clock back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

redmgar wrote: »
    The original IT with Tim Curry, if you watch it now its similar to an episode of goosebumps. Although the character is still quite scary. I remember Sky 1 showing it around 8 O'clock back in the day.
    Only got around to watching that recently (I know, I know) after finishing the book and was very disappointed with the lack of any sort of, anything.

Tim Curry's Pennywise was good though, him in the new films would be great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

I watched the new childs play (which I enjoyed), got me thinking about the original.
    Has anyone watched it lately? does it hold up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Not a movie but a TV show. 12 year old me loved the A-Team, I wouldn't ruin the nostalgia with a re-watch. It would be awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

redmgar wrote: »
    I watched the new childs play (which I enjoyed), got me thinking about the original.
    Has anyone watched it lately? does it hold up?

I watched it fairly recently. You have to remember that even at the time of its release, it only got a 15 certificate, at a time when the censors were a lot stricter. So the deaths aren't very shocking or gory.

The story is decent. The young lad does a good job and Brad Dourif's voice work is still great.

If it freaked you out as a kid, I doubt it will have the same effect now.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭hank scorpio89

Watched the original nightmare on elm street a few months ago....scared the crap out of me as a young lad...lets just say somethings are better left in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I watched Matilda the other night. Still just as good. Miss Trunchbull still creeping me out though :/:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I watched We're Back! A Dinosaur Story, I loved it as a child and it is not good. The animation is so ropey with a complete lack of consistency in the dinosaurs' size. The one scene that does stand up is when they get transformed back to their feral state.

Watched the original nightmare on elm street a few months ago....scared the crap out of me as a young lad...lets just say somethings are better left in the past.

I watched through the entire franchise last year and let me tell you, the first one is still legit. Watch 4, 5 or 6 and you'll see just how great that first one is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

El Duda wrote: »
    I watched through the entire franchise last year and let me tell you, the first one is still legit. Watch 4, 5 or 6 and you'll see just how great that first one is.

The original 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' is a genuine classic. One that will stand the test of time and it's aged very well, as far as I'm concerned.

The sequels? They're rubbish and they always have been, including the often cited "fan favourite" Dream Warriors.

I like 3 and New Nightmare. Then someway below them is 2. Then the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Total Recall. Watched it as a 12 year old and loved it. Still a great iconic movie but those Oscar special achievement award winning effects have aged it terribly. It was the last major big budget production before CGI really started to take over Hollywood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

xieann wrote: »
    Night at the Museum with Ben Stiller movie series.

No-one thought they were good first time round...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

joe40 wrote: »
    Not a movie but a TV show. 12 year old me loved the A-Team, I wouldn't ruin the nostalgia with a re-watch. It would be awful.

I researched an episode, I couldn't believe how slow paced it was. I'm amazed I could sit through an episode as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Hawk the Slayer.
    He could control his sword with his mind and to me it was the coolest ever.
    Add to that a dwarf or whatever with the ultrafast crossbows and it was awesome.
    Now you look back at it and it’s godawful.
    Apparently they’re running a kickstarter a sequel.

Advertisement