Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Childhood movies ruined by rewatch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

MAJJ wrote: »
    Flight of the navigator
    Short Circuit

Hate to admit that as loved them both as a kid.

I haven't rewatched flight of the navigator as I can already tell it will be a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Hurrache wrote: »
    Labyrinth stands the test of time, it's still great. While the Goonies is still good it doesn't evoke the same feelings it did when I watched it over and over as a kid.

DARYL is not great, I think the draw in the 80s was that it had computer games.

Watched this again recently. Only now realised how many jokes were very inappropriate that I did not understand as a kid :D

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

The BFG cartoon

It's so slow and the animation sucks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Dades wrote: »
    Though today the sexual undertones in Labyrinth would never be let out a studio door in these days of ensuring nobody is offended.
    I loved and still love Labyrinth, but you have to admit that the Goblin King is creeping on a vulnerable teenager...
    That was why I mentioned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

caff wrote: »
    Cheesy wipe transitions between scenes

One day the wife confesses she has never seen Star Wars.

Im shocked and tell her she’s missing on a classic trilogy and we must watch it post haste. I myself had not seen it in years so we get to watching it and I slowly start cringing a little as I realize that’s it’s not really standing the test of time.

About an hour in the wife has not said a word, I say “would you like me to turn it off”, I received a swift yes.

I feel like The Empire Strikes Back holds up better than the other 2 but the wife never made it that far.

• Advertisement

Man in the Iron Mask

Watched it again recently. It doesn't make a huge amount of sense and is far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

One day the wife confesses she has never seen Star Wars.

Im shocked and tell her she’s missing on a classic trilogy and we must watch it post haste. I myself had not seen it in years so we get to watching it and I slowly start cringing a little as I realize that’s it’s not really standing the test of time.

About an hour in the wife has not said a word, I say “would you like me to turn it off”, I received a swift yes.

I feel like The Empire Strikes Back holds up better than the other 2 but the wife never made it that far.

I watched the original trilogy with my youngest before "Force Awakens" came out

As I mentioned "A New Hope" hasn't aged well, ESB and ROTJ are better (Jedi's actually pretty good apart from the Ewoks)

More recently I watched Die Hard with my eldest - it's still great but by modern standards it takes forever to get going. "Is this all going to be about his marriage problems" I was asked about 30 minutes into it :pac:

We all watched "National Lampoon's European Vacation" a few weeks ago - I don't think that film would get made today TBH. ("He's gonna pork her Dad!" "He's not gonna pork her at the dinner table Russ" etc...)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

On the flip side of this, I showed my kids (8,6 and 3) Ghostbusters, which they really loved, and ET which they adored while making them cry too.

The Sandlot bored them, also Labyrinth, which they thought was weird and boring, both films I loved as a child.

I was amazed at their reaction to ET though, they were genuinely upset when he died and delighted by the ending. It really made their day. Magic of movies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭Dog Man Star

I also recently watched Buck Rogers and the 25th Century. It was even better than when I watched it repeatedly as a child. So, so much cleavage that I didn't appreciate aged 8.

Also this scene is better than ever:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Krull didn't age well but maybe it was ****e all along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

loyatemu wrote: »
    We all watched "National Lampoon's European Vacation" a few weeks ago - I don't think that film would get made today TBH. ("He's gonna pork her Dad!" "He's not gonna pork her at the dinner table Russ" etc...)

I watched the original one a while back myself and still got a laugh, so many things went over my head when I watched it when younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

On the flip side of this, I showed my kids (8,6 and 3) Ghostbusters, which they really loved, and ET which they adored while making them cry too.

The Sandlot bored them, also Labyrinth, which they thought was weird and boring, both films I loved as a child.

I was amazed at their reaction to ET though, they were genuinely upset when he died and delighted by the ending. It really made their day. Magic of movies.

ET is a pretty special movie tbh. Especially for kids. It was filmed and told very much from a child's perspective, right down to the torches and keychains in the early scenes.

A lot of Spielberg's stuff from the 70s/80s era still holds up extremely well.

Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Last Crusade, Close Encounters and of course Jaws are also wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Flight of the Doves - the stage Irishness

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Labyrinth - rewatched and cannot unsee the number of Bowie crotch shots...

Every time Bowie sings...

:mad:

Terrible 80's rubbish that kills the film.

Hoggle is still great though.

I'd love a cut without the singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

joe40 wrote: »
    "Top gun" was definitely better in my memory than after a rewatch.

You must have idealised it enormously. I find it very good, though I watch it only couple of years ago for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

The Cosby Show

redmgar wrote: »
    The goonies definitely has lost something with the passing of time.

Always thought 'The Goonies' was rubbish, even as a child. I used to think it was "Indiana Jones for young kids".

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

branie2 wrote: »
    Flight of the Doves - the stage Irishness

Ah you don’t have to be Irish to be Irish.

A mate of mine bought 'The Last Starfighter', which was a film I was fond of when I saw it on video as a child. But, I can almost guarantee I'll think it's rubbish if I sit down to watch it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

The original Child's Play.

I remember watching it as a kid and I was terrified but enjoyed it, I remember everyone in school talking about it.

It happened to be on one of those weird stations CBS or Sony recently and I watched it for a while. The quality of the picture and the acting was really poor, it looked like a transition year student filmed it and the 'scary' Chucky moments were more comedy than anything. Appalled I was taken in by such poor quality back in the early 90s!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

Labyrinth - rewatched and cannot unsee the number of Bowie crotch shots...

David Bowie is packing in it alright :D but did you not find it to be a very different film watching it as an adult?

It's more of a dark coming of age film. The character Jareth/Goblin King is apparently meant to be a representation of Sarah's mother's actor boyfriend and their tense relationship. And there is the poison peach scene where he metaphorically seduces her until she comes back to her senses?!?! :/ There's all kinds of innuendo going on in that film that you didn't notice as a kid.
    Tony EH wrote: »
    Every time Bowie sings....

I think the soundtrack is fun but also some of the lyrics in one or two of the songs like As The World Falls Down are quite dark in context.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Flight of the Navigator

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Yep, its not as good as you remember.

The crotch shots don't bother me. It's just not very good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,087 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pfft, all of y’all citing actual good films. When I was really young (5-6), we had a taped copy of Mac & Me. IIRC used to watch it more than ET.

Imagine my horror when I rediscovered clips of it on YouTube and it was McDonald’s propaganda (that is in no way an exaggeration) mixed with some of the worst special effects and dumbest moments in cinema history.

I also rewatched The Never Ending Story 1+ 2 when I was in college having been firm favourites on endless rotation as a kid. Used to love how creepy the second one was, but it was just a cheap mess on a revisit. 1 on the other hand... still sends a chill down my spine when those giant statues turn the poor traveller into laser dust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Tammy!

I never really got into The Never Ending Story. I only ever half watched it.

I watched Problem Child again a while ago there and it wasn't great but not too bad. Thought it so funny when I was a kid though. That and Drop Dead Fred.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭neirbloom

This is kinda bucking the trend of this thread but I recenently watched jumanji for the first time in over 20 years just waiting to be dissapointed so was really suprised with just how much I enjoyed it again after all these years, minus the ridiculous looking CGI monkeys the movie still holds up really well after all these years.

Actually forgot Kirsten Dunst was in the movie, I always thought it was the one from Jurassic Park for whatever reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭nw5iytvs0lf1uz

I also recently watched Buck Rogers and the 25th Century. It was even better than when I watched it repeatedly as a child. So, so much cleavage that I didn't appreciate aged 8.

Also this scene is better than ever:

Thanks for the video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Was it Labyrinth or the Never Ending Story or Legend that had the scene with the horse sinking into the swamp and the horse looked bloody terrified?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

JeanL wrote: »
    I never really got into The Never Ending Story. I only ever half watched it.

Have to say I've never really understood the enduring appeal of these two films. Even as a kid.
    I wasn't old enough to go see the original release but I remember my older siblings saw it and raved about it.

When I got round to seeing it just a couple of years later, it all felt a bit lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I haven't rewatched flight of the navigator as I can already tell it will be a let down.

I caught it on TV a couple of weeks ago and still thought it was great, the main character is a great little child actor and the plot still makes sense (from a sci-fi pov)
    I'd give it another go...though maybe it was just nostalgia on my side.

Advertisement