Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Jingle Bells 5k 2018

• 05-10-2018 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭

The 28th Annual Donore Harriers Jingle Bells 5k takes place in the Phoenix Park on Saturday 1st December 2018.

If you are coming off the back of marathon training or looking to have a 5k blow out before the end of the year this is a course to go PB chasing on.

Also a chance to get your hands on a Jingle Bells mug. Full entry details are in the link below.

https://sirius.eventmaster.ie/event/5ZjsQvsEz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Yea, I think my 5k PB is from this race in 2012, might do just that - and use it as a focus for post-DCM training [as per marathon training, fighting the good fight, and trying to stop myself getting fat :D]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Signed up for this for the first time ever. I've heard so much about it being such a great race, I thought I'd give it a go. And having had to pull out of marathon due to injury I needed a target to aim for. I'll not be at my best for this but it will be a good barometer for where i'm at after 6 weeks training.

...and then what happens...I get invited to drinks ( bar tab) on 30 November....aaaaaargh! The sacrifices I make:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Look at it as being well hydrated for the run! And that's a bummer about the marathon.
    RedRunner wrote: »
    Signed up for this for the first time ever. I've heard so much about it being such a great race, I thought I'd give it a go. And having had to pull out of marathon due to injury I needed a target to aim for. I'll not be at my best for this but it will be a good barometer for where i'm at after 6 weeks training.

...and then what happens...I get invited to drinks ( bar tab) on 30 November....aaaaaargh! The sacrifices I make:)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Signed up and looking forward to a PB! :D

Just a note that the Donore Harriers webpage says 2017 - some people might not find the sign up link.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Booked up for this now myself. Have a few coming up now until the end of the year so looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I’ve signed up! Can’t wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

We're both going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,418 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

We are all signed up, including the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Just signed up too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I've just joined the party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

Found out yesterday that I'm going to have to miss out on this due to work commitments. Looks like I'll be targeting the Tom Brennan 5k on New Years day instead.

Anyone thinking of giving their 5k PB a lash Saturday week it looks like the entry limit will be reached over the next couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Anyone thinking of giving their 5k PB a lash Saturday week it looks like the entry limit will be reached over the next couple of days.

Not in shape for PB but am hoping for fastest time this year or last 2 yrs. First time to do this race but I've heard it's a fast course.

Good fast finish so primed for a decent time.

RedRunner wrote: »
    Not in shape for PB but am hoping for fastest time this year or last 2 yrs. First time to do this race but I've heard it's a fast course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Where's the best place to park?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Last year I parked by the Papal Cross. I got there early though, so not sure how quickly that would fill up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

quickbeam wrote: »
    Last year I parked by the Papal Cross. I got there early though, so not sure how quickly that would fill up.

When you say early enough though? You must be getting here at sunrise!

Parking is always an absolute nightmare for these runs in my experience. I started cycling to the park when I do the likes of the great Ireland run which is about a half hour each way for me. At release that way I get a bit more excercise in as well.

For a 5k it hardly feels worth it. By the time you’ve parked up and run for 20 mins or so you’re back to the drudgery or getting to the car and stupid traffic that follows.

Sorry for being negative but it’s an awful shame imo considering what a beautiful place it is to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

There's plenty of places to park if you're in the habit of warming up for a race and cooling down after.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

When you say early enough though? You must be getting here at sunrise!

Parking is always an absolute nightmare for these runs in my experience. I started cycling to the park when I do the likes of the great Ireland run which is about a half hour each way for me. At release that way I get a bit more excercise in as well.

For a 5k it hardly feels worth it. By the time you’ve parked up and run for 20 mins or so you’re back to the drudgery or getting to the car and stupid traffic that follows.

Sorry for being negative but it’s an awful shame imo considering what a beautiful place it is to run.
    Have you ever actually done the Jingle Bells? It is absolutely not comparable to the Great Ireland Run, it literally has a tenth of the participants. If you were visiting the Zoo on December 1st you wouldn't even know it was on. And TBH, I've never had a problem parking in the Phoenix Park even on the biggest race days, the place is huge and has far more parking spaces than it should.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

I'm unable to race now. I will be down to cheer still I think.

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Have you ever actually done the Jingle Bells? It is absolutely not comparable to the Great Ireland Run, it literally has a tenth of the participants. If you were visiting the Zoo on December 1st you wouldn't even know it was on. And TBH, I've never had a problem parking in the Phoenix Park even on the biggest race days, the place is huge and has far more parking spaces than it should.

Also, you can park in the Garda Boat Club. It's handy for Donore Clubhouse if you're going back there for any refreshments etc after or if you need to collect your number:

Parking

Parking is very limited within the Phoenix Park. There is no parking along the course of the race and there is strictly no parking at or near the start and finish areas of the race. There is no parking on the North Road, The Odd Lamp Road, Military Road and Chapelizod Road. There is also no parking available in Donore Harriers’ carpark on the morning of the race. There is parking available at the Garda Boat Club on Chapelizod Road, GPS location 53.346322,-6.321898 (Allow 25 mins to get to the startline). Parking is available at the Papal Cross Carpark and we recommend parking along Chesterfield Avenue, AWAY FROM THE COURSE, from the Phoenix Monument down towards Dublin Zoo only. There is also limited parking available in the Phoenix Park Visitor’s Centre (Allow 15-20 mins to get to the start line) and limited parking in the carparks off Military Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I always park in the hotel in the village and run down

Lazare wrote: »
    There's plenty of places to park if you're in the habit of warming up for a race and cooling down after.

No need for the dig there.

I run 5k 5 times a week in approx 22mins which I’m happy enough with so I understand warming up.

For a 5k it doesn’t take that long to warm up though so having to arrive very early to get a space seems like too much of a pain for such a short distance imho.

Again just my opinion.

If you read my post you’d know that I haven’t. I have ran the great Ireland run though so understand the parking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,455 ✭✭✭✭28064212

If you read my post you’d know that I haven’t. I have ran the great Ireland run though so understand the parking
    Nothing in your original post says you haven't run the Jingle Bells. And now that you say that you haven't, I'm even more confused by your post that claims parking is a nightmare for a run you've never done

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Nothing in your original post says you haven't run the Jingle Bells. And now that you say that you haven't, I'm even more confused by your post that claims parking is a nightmare for a run you've never done

Nothing to say that I did.

But again I have run the great Ireland run along with duathlons there and imo parking is a nightmare.

If you disagree that’s fine but I’m giving my opinion based on my experience of participating in public events in the park

Donore Harrers have parking info on their site:

http://www.donoreharriers.com/jingle-bells-5k/

Anyway, parking aside, I can't wait for the race! It's the start of the Christmas season. I hope that brass band will be playing at the finish again!

It's a great race, really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

No need for the dig there.

I run 5k 5 times a week in approx 22mins which I’m happy enough with so I understand warming up.

For a 5k it doesn’t take that long to warm up though so having to arrive very early to get a space seems like too much of a pain for such a short distance imho.

Again just my opinion.

Sorry if it read like a dig, wasn't intended so.

I disagree with you though, parking is not a problem imo.

Can't wait for this, really enjoyed it last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Parking is not an issue for this race.

Advertisement