Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Toy Story 4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Saw it with the missus the 3 yr old and 7 yr old over wkend.

Missus- loved it.

7yr old- bored from early on but engaged with the more energetic set pieces.

3 yr old- enjoyed bits of it but bored too after about 30 mins. Kept asking to go home :/

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

But please PLEASE let that be then end of it. They had 3 fantastic movie and one very good movie. Stop... Now. I really don't want to see

You know you could just not go see them if there are more?

This is like the whinging about sequals apparently ruining franchises etc. Just dont watch them if you feel a movie is "done". A sequal cant ruin a good film.

Went to see this at the weekend . Enjoyed it and so did the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Saw it with the missus the 3 yr old and 7 yr old over wkend.

Missus- loved it.

7yr old- bored from early on but engaged with the more energetic set pieces.

3 yr old- enjoyed bits of it but bored too after about 30 mins. Kept asking to go home :/

that's the trouble bring kids to kids movies, they just ruin them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

gimli2112 wrote: »

The missus said it was a waste of time and money bringing them!

Would’ve enjoyed running around the park more.

Maybe too young and didn’t “get” the characters.

Lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭sacamano

gimli2112 wrote: »

Tbf the kids are noisy before the film starts but are dead quiet once it's on. It's the adults you need to be worried about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The missus said it was a waste of time and money bringing them!

Would’ve enjoyed running around the park more.

Maybe too young and didn’t “get” the characters.

Lesson learned.

Werent even born when TS3 was out!
    Brought my spawn they werent blown away by it. they kept telling me they preferred Endgame.
    Some funny bits, but wholly unnecessary.

Duke Kaboom was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I loved it! It's definitely not as good as the previous three but by any other movie standards it's an excellent film. It feels like an epilogue to the other three. What I would say to anyone who hasn't seen it is that it's much more focused on Woody than the previous film with the rest of the toy taking a back seat (literally).

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

When I looked afterwards and saw that Keanu did Duke's voice I was all like tenor.gif?itemid=7443414

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Here's some of my thoughts on the film , spoilers inside

• Registered Users Posts: 84,944 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

El Duda wrote: »
    When I looked afterwards and saw that Keanu did Duke's voice I was all like tenor.gif?itemid=7443414

2019 seems to be the year of Keanu Reeves

Duke and Forky were great

• Advertisement

I wonder if Key and Peele had any input into their wild, fantasy sequences?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Here's some of my thoughts on the film , spoilers inside

Broken link? No comment? Harsh! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

pixelburp wrote: »
    Broken link? No comment? Harsh! ;)

Fixed it , thanks hadn't noticed that

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

I enjoyed it. As most have already said, not the best, but I thought it was a good send off.

I thought the writing of the "villain" was good. Was annoyed at first, but grew to feel incredibly sorry for her. I kind of like that natural heel turn instead of a more one note villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It was no toy story 3...but really enjoyed it, the new characters were a lot of fun, but it didn't have the impact of the other films.
    The animation is spectacular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

I thought this was really poor.

For a time it looked like it might be good - I would have liked if they delved more into the Woody following her to kindergarten storyline.

Instead we got the same plot rehashed yet again.
    1. A toy gets lost
    2. The gang go to find the toy to get him back to his owner.
    3. On the way they encounter a villain toy who has a backstory of not being loved by humans.
    4. The toy eventually gets back home.
    Gabby is pretty much the same character as Stinky Pete and Lotso. I found it bizarre how they wrapped up her arc by giving her a happy ending when she had done nothing to deserve it to that point. She kidnapped Forky, forced Woody to trade away his sound box to return him - didn't get what she wanted from the situation and - shes good now? Did I miss something?

They sideline pretty much the whole crew of toys to doing nothing for the whole movie.

This didn't need to exist - some people don't like that statement but it's bizarre to look at the 4th movie in a series without looking at it through the lens of the other 3. It didn't give us anything new and retreaded old plot lines yet again. Poor.

As if this will be the last one. Mugs. Mugs the lot of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Mokuba wrote: »
    Gabby is pretty much the same character as Stinky Pete and Lotso.

I can see why you'd think this but she's not at all the same character. Whilst her actions are certainly antagonist her motivations are not.

Stinky Pete was never bought off the shelf and was extremely bitter, he saw the museum as an opportunity to be worshipped in a way most toys aren't. He wasn't going to be played with and discarded.

Lotso had been replaced by the parents of his child and had seen it as a personal betrayal. He became disillusioned and believed that all children would eventually betray and reject their toys.

Gabby Gabby is much more optimistic, she never had a child like Stinky Pete however she never blamed the children, she blamed herself and her faulty voicebox but ultimately she still wanted to fulfill her purpose as a toy and be there for a child, share the moments that Woodie had shared with Andy. She then gets rejected like Lotso but again she doesn't blame the child or children as a whole, instead Woody reminds her that there are other children who need her, who need a toy and she accepts this much more optimistic outlook. I'm saying her arc and characterisation are perfect but she's a very different character and IMO she ultimately deserves her happy ending because she doesn't turn her back on children deep her predicament or give up hope (except very briefly after Harmony drops her). It's why Woody sacrifices his voicebox, because he sees that he can help her and in doing so help a child.

I agree that the rest of the toys get sidelined but it is very much Woody's story.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

I missed the entire opening sequence because the cinema decided to change the start time of the movie and not inform us :rolleyes: I know the gist of it, but can anyone describe it in detail please? :)

Overall I thought it was good, but not great. While I did like a lot of the new characters and I thought Bo was great, I was disappointed that most of the old characters hardly got a look in. And it wasn't anywhere near as emotional as toy story 3!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well if we must have wallet-gouging, narratively superfluous 4th parts of trilogies, then at least Disney-Pixar had the decency to make the tale as heartwarming and funny as previous parts. It never quite escaped the event horizon of redundancy, but it made a genuine stab all the same, and that counts for something. It did brazenly introduce a number of existential questions that the script then chose to dance around, ensuring that fans on the internet will debate and obsess about the mechanics of this universe for years. Which, knowing the weaponised pop-culture of Disney, was probably intentional.
    woodchuck wrote: »
    I missed the entire opening sequence because the cinema decided to change the start time of the movie and not inform us :rolleyes: I know the gist of it, but can anyone describe it in detail please? :)
    It was set "9 years ago", which I think would place it between films 2 & 3(?), during a rainstorm at night. Bo is put in a charity box to be taken away. Woody attempts to rescue her while the box sits outside the car, but on reaching her Bo declines the offer, noting that it's her time, while asking Woody to come with her. Woody steps away, unwilling to part with Andy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I really enjoyed it, as did my kids who were obsessed with the originals. The toybox was duly cracked open and Woody and the gang saw a new lease of life for the weekend.

I'd agree the rest of the old crew were somewhat sidelined, but I really liked Ducky, Bunny, and Duke Nukem. And the creepy Vincents added some real peril.

Yeah, it wasn't necessary, but it was fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭ozmo

Dades wrote: »
    .. but I really liked .. Duke Kaboom....

I actually still have that toy in the attic - it was a mid 70's toy in reality called "Evel Knievel"

And I can confirm it did indeed crash a lot :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlDa1dO7PhE

“Roll it back”

I really enjoyed it, as did my kids who were obsessed with the originals. The toybox was duly cracked open and Woody and the gang saw a new lease of life for the weekend.

I'd agree the rest of the old crew were somewhat sidelined, but I really liked Ducky, Bunny, and Duke Nukem. And the creepy Vincents added some real peril.

Yeah, it wasn't necessary, but it was fun.
    No love for the wonderfully titled Giggles McDimples?

ozmo wrote: »
    I actually still have that toy in the attic - it was a mid 70's toy in reality called "Evel Knievel"
    I wish I had mine. It was the Jet Cycle one. :o
    gmisk wrote: »
    No love for the wonderfully titled Giggles McDimples?
    Superfluous character!

Combat Carl had a good cameo.
    Loved the bit where his buddy got left hanging!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I thought it was good but wasn't close to any of the first 3. Perfectly enjoyable though and would probably give it a solid 8/10.

I wish I had mine. It was the Jet Cycle one. :o

Superfluous character!

Combat Carl had a good cameo.
    Loved the bit where his buddy got left hanging!
    I thought it was a really fun little character the opening scene in the little Polly pocket style holder was excellent.

Oh combat Carls were FUN!

I suspect Giggles was a mandated character, a demand there be an antagonist in the story when the film didn't really need one; I kinda liked her, the script managed to balance said antagonism with her obvious desperation to have an owner. It didn't quite overlap as smartly with Woodys arc the same way #2 allowed our hero to realise his place, but it OK. There are only so many "toys go bad" tales you can weave.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Disney Blindsides Families with Lesbian Scene in Toy Story 4

https://onemillionmoms.com/current-campaigns/disney-blindsides-families-with-lesbian-scene-in-toy-story-4/

SMH..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

didn't notice it.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    didn't notice it.
    I noticed it and thought I bet that's going to get some pearl-clutchers in a twist.

Reading the outrage you'd swear Tyler Durden had been in the editing room adding in his personal footage.

Advertisement