Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

/Film are reporting that Pattinson has beaten Hoult to the role.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

/Film are reporting that Pattinson has beaten Hoult to the role.

Confirmed by Deadline Hollywood.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/robert-pattinson-batman-wins-role-warner-bros-1202624926/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Be interesting to see how it unfolds over 3 films.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,019 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How about Hoult as Riddler, he looks like tv show Gotham's Riddler

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They need to jump right into the action with this trilogy and not start with another origin story.

I think at this stage everyone knows why Bruce Wayne became Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

They need to jump right into the action with this trilogy and not start with another origin story.

I think at this stage everyone knows why Bruce Wayne became Batman.

Take this anyway you want.
    Reeves’ film tracks Bruce Wayne in the formative stages of Batman

Could be something similar to Begins. None of us really know at this stage.

Though Reeves' did say this
    It's very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale. It's told very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it's going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional. It's more Batman in his detective mode than we've seen in the films. The comics have a history of that. He's supposed to be the world's greatest detective, and that's not necessarily been a part of what the movies have been. I'd love this to be one where when we go on that journey of tracking down the criminals and trying to solve a crime, it's going to allow his character to have an arc so that he can go through a transformation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I wonder will they link it to the scene in the trailer for the new Joker film where he's making young Bruce Wayne smile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If it is an origin story I'm thinking it will be more like Batman Year One than Batman Begins, i.e. focused on a specific period of time of say several months to a year versus spanning a couple of decades like Begins did. So a bit like Batman 1989 but about Batman.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I genuinely hope that Joker film stays its own thing. It obviously had the wriggle room to tell a self contained story and retrofitting Pattinsons batman would be disappointing.

And we DEFINITELY don't need to see the Crime Alley scene again.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

****ing clickbait. Those ***** know nothing

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭The Late Late Show

It will be interesting to see how this film goes. I heard it is going to be some type of a noir/Blade Runner type take on Batman? The indications are there that this will be good. One thing for sure is it will never create the hype of exactly 30 years ago when Batman first came to the big screen. One can argue if Batman 1989 was the best Batman or not but no one can argue that it was not the biggest Batmania event ever. The hype, the crowds queuing up to get in, the sheer excitement of seeing it in the cinema, remember being all excited talking about it with my dad on the way home and with my mam after getting home. All Batman films since owe something to this one that started it off too. And the noir/Blade Runner elements were actually introduced to Batman in that seminal 1989 classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Another Batman reboot?, sigh.........

Affleck’s version offered nothing other than he had a ‘grey’ suit that looked more like the cartoons and he was now ‘older’.

Now it looks like ‘angsty’ Batman is on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Looking forward to seeing what Pattinson does with the role, all the same.

We will have to wait and see where this film goes with Batman. Everyone who makes a Batman film has the perfect Batman film in their mind: it MUST have the Joker as the bad guy, Robin has to be left out, there has to be a love interest in Bruce's life who finds out he is Batman. The danger here is the same film could get made over and over. 30 years ago almost exactly, Batmania hit Ireland and this first Batman film created excitement precisely because it was so different and unique.

The last 2 Batman films where Batman is teamed up with other superheros were a bit too sci fi and were in their own way every bit as OTT as Batman & Robin. What the new film needs to do is bring Batman back to a grittier thriller style much the same way The Dark Knight trilogy did after the disaster that was Batman & Robin. What could the new film do well that hasn't been done before? Are there enemies that haven't featured that could be revived? We know that having Batman fight aliens, the villains of the last 2 films, is not really a good idea. Leave them to Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and co. Likewise, Lex Luthor is better off where he belongs, as Superman's main enemy. The Joker and The Penguin are among the most important Batman villains and rather than reviving the Joker for a third time, perhaps reviving the Penguin might be good. Or what about giving the Riddler a darker, grittier makeover than what we got in Batman Forever? Other Batman villains like the Book Worm, King Tut or Egghead do not seem to be worth reviving and would belong more in those Schumacher films than noir-inspired thriller.

I agree that this film needs to jump straight into the action and avoid any lengthy origin backstories. These have already had a whole film dedicated to them and have featured quite heavily in other Batman films over the years too. I feel though the backstory will feature as it always has but this may take from the film because it essentially is the same thing done each time. Having Harvey Dent's story done for a third time also may not be a good move.

In the 30 year history of Batman on the big screen so far, the series went from darker to more lighthearted and from realistic to sci fi as well. Some films have been accused of being way too long and as with many people saying Blade Runner 2049 was too long and the original did way more in less time, the same is said of Batman 1989 v some of the later films.

Batman 1989 was more than a film to a whole generation of people. It was part of their teenage years, it was part of pop culture, it was a reminder there was more to enjoy in the closing days of summer before the back to school and the Autumn set in. Other Batman films were criticised for being too silly or too dark but Batman 1989 got the balance right. It had its darker moments both with Batman's and the Joker's backstories but never let it stop the comic book feel either.

Batman 1989 is one of my go to films for escapism and to cheer me up if I had a bad day or a bad week. And with all the terrorism and evil in the world, Batman is someone people identify with more than ever. While it is doubtful any Batman film will repeat the Batmania of 1989, the market for quality Batman films is still massive. Let's hope The Batman is one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Paul Walter Hauser is being linked as Penguin.
    The latest rumor comes from Full Circle Cinema and centers on Paul Walter Hauser being up for the role of the Penguin. Hauser is best known for the role of Shawn in I, Tonya and more recently as Ivanhoe in BlacKkKlansman.

Should this rumor pan out, it’s interesting as its reportedly the second actor being considered from the cast of BlacKkKlansman. Previously we have heard that John David Washington is under consideration for Harvey Dent.

Also some rumor is going around on Twitter that Chiwetel Ejiofor is under consideration for The Riddler.

It's open season for the ****e hawk websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Also some rumor is going around on Twitter that Chiwetel Ejiofor is under consideration for The Riddler.

I've always seen the The Riddler as an awkward nerdy guy with a massive ego, dorkily brave when he thinks he has the intellectual uperhand but a coward in physical confrontations. I dont really see Chiwetel Ejiofor like that. William Jackson Harper (Chidi from the Good Place) would be a great Riddler imo.

Chloe Moretz and Jodie Comer linked to Catwoman role with Richard E. Grant as Alfred

• Advertisement

Hope the rumours are true. Would like to see the Penguin again and would like to see a darker Riddler (as someone said as a nerdy guy with a massive ego) than we got before. The Joker was immortalised by both Nicholson and Ledger and I don't know if anyone else can pull it off successfully a third time. The other possibility here is Batman could be going up against a lot more villains all at once than ever before (it is beginning to look like this). Harvey Dent may appear as a good guy under that name or as his villainous deformed alter ego Two Face. All sorts of rumours that may or may not be true will surface. Initial ideas then could be dropped and replaced.

It is 7 years since we had the last good Batman film, The Dark Knight Rises. I think we need to get back to the Nolan or Burton type of Batman film. I do believe Reeves has this in mind and the next film will be an antidote to Justice League's ultra sci fi. Batman is NOT Star Wars (I love Star Wars too but will watch Star Wars when I want that and watch Batman when I want that).

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭justinbellford

I always imagined Matthew Gray Gubler as the Riddler. I think he can walk the super nerdy/unhinged line quite well.

Doesn't hurt that he also voiced the Riddler in one of the DC animated films.

also some rumor is going around on Twitter that Chiwetel Ejiofor is under consideration for The Riddler.
    I've always seen the The Riddler as an awkward nerdy guy with a massive ego, dorkily brave when he thinks he has the intellectual uperhand but a coward in physical confrontations. I dont really see Chiwetel Ejiofor like that. William Jackson Harper (Chidi from the Good Place) would be a great Riddler imo.

I like Chiwetel Ejiofor but I cannot see him The Riddler plus I think he is too old now :o
    I always imagined Matthew Gray Gubler as the Riddler. I think he can walk the super nerdy/unhinged line quite well.

Doesn't hurt that he also voiced the Riddler in one of the DC animated films.

Matthew would be good

I think Sam Riley or Joseph Gordon Levitt also could do well as Nygma

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Andderzz

John David Washington linked as Harvey Dent

Not surprised at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Andderzz wrote: »
    Not surprised at all.

True, his star really does seem on the rise at moment (BlacKkKlansman, and TENET next year) which means the inevitable Superhero movie role.

Pierce Brosnan rumoured to be Alfred.

Pierce Brosnan rumoured to be Alfred.

I could really take or leave Alfred right now.

Michael Caine did a wonderful job with a performance not particularly inspired by the actual source.

Sean Pertwee did a decent job continuing Alfred in the Caine inspired mould.

Jeremy Irons gave a nicely wry job in a nothing role.

I don't even want to think about the Alfred TV series called Pennyworth.

Brosnan provokes nothing in me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭kerplun k

I could really take or leave Alfred right now.

Michael Caine did a wonderful job with a performance not particularly inspired by the actual source.

Sean Pertwee did a decent job continuing Alfred in the Caine inspired mould.

Jeremy Irons gave a nicely wry job in a nothing role.

I don't even want to think about the Alfred TV series called Pennyworth.

Brosnan provokes nothing in me.

Your not making your feelings clear on whether you want to see more Alfred in the next movie. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Brosnans not a bad choice, but I'm more wondering what KIND of Alfred we can expect; lately productions seem to have steered into him being more of a Fixer, ex-SAS guy, than the traditional refined, posh gentleman butler. Even Caines version spoke of a mercenary, military past (and wasn't above smacking people with crowbars, despite his age).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Surely they're going for the ex-James-Bond-type of Alfred then.

Wouldn't be my choice.

Advertisement