Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

It wasn't Twin Peaks, but it should have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Pretty sure this is 'The Air Up There' with Kevin Bacon

1_KvML3ynFK1trqaqMv5Vsqg.0.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11 LauraPalmer

El Duda wrote: »
    Pretty sure this is 'The Air Up There' with Kevin Bacon

1_KvML3ynFK1trqaqMv5Vsqg.0.gif

Thank you for your reply but I really don’t think this is the film. I remember being a ghost/horror movie/tv series episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I'm thinking this a superhero type genre - a child hides in a closet with his sister while their father is beating their mother and all of a sudden he teleports out of the closet to some frozen place

Pretty sure it's an origin story but can't quite place where I've seen it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There was an abusive father in "Jumper", but I don't remember that scene in it.

• Advertisement

Thanks but I've never seen Jumper so it's not that

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

"Jumper" is such an unfortunate name for a movie in this part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Dades wrote: »

Jumper II: Cardigan
    This Time It Has Buttons!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Dades wrote: »

It's the only unfortunate issue I had with Avatar series. They were all "Benders". For someone of my generation that was an unfortunate term :)

Does anyone know any period films or series that involved abusive husbands? I remember a long time ago now I saw a clip from a period tv series/ film and I remember a woman putting a child to bed that I assume was a son/daughter and the mother went outside the child’s door and I could hear shouting or screaming. I’m sure I heard “No!”

Can anyone help at all?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The Village (with John Simm) has some scenes of domestic violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Does anyone know any period films or series that involved abusive husbands? I remember a long time ago now I saw a clip from a period tv series/ film and I remember a woman putting a child to bed that I assume was a son/daughter and the mother went outside the child’s door and I could hear shouting or screaming. I’m sure I heard “No!”

Can anyone help at all?

Are you looking for a list or a particular film? If compiling a list of old movies, I guess Gaslight might be good?

Can anyone help at all?

Just so that everyone knows I saw this in the late 90s

Are you looking for a list or a particular film? If compiling a list of old movies, I guess Gaslight might be good?

Hi

Yes I’m looking for a particular film. Do you know any from the 90s?

New Home wrote: »
    The Village (with John Simm) has some scenes of domestic violence.

Thank you for your reply, I’m afraid that won’t be it, I saw it in the 90s.

I'm thinking this a superhero type genre - a child hides in a closet with his sister while their father is beating their mother and all of a sudden he teleports out of the closet to some frozen place

Pretty sure it's an origin story but can't quite place where I've seen it

I finally found out what this was and I can see why no one knew it

It's from a short-lived TV show called Powers that only aired on PlayStation (I think) - it was made by Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,303 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I enjoyed that show
    shame it only got 2 seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Hello

Just a quick question.

How do you go about finding a documentary if you dont know the title.

I suppose i watched a great documentary from 2006, i can remember the subject but never the title.

Id like to rewatch it again but need to find it first.

thanks again

Ciaran

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

You could try the very first stickied (stuck?) thread on this forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Lazairus wrote: »
    Hello

Just a quick question.

How do you go about finding a documentary if you dont know the title.

I suppose i watched a great documentary from 2006, i can remember the subject but never the title.

Id like to rewatch it again but need to find it first.

thanks again

Ciaran
    What was it about-was it British or Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

your not giving much away there, do you not want us to watch it? Documentary Heaven.com has loads maybe it's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Lazairus

Hello

Sorry, id didn't want to ask, it was on Tg4 at one stage.

IT was an made by an Australian woman who wanted to document their relationship over the years.

Synopsis
    Father moving away from life of crime , daughter makes documentary on their past relationship. Father is looking after Dying Grandmother. (Father used to be conman)

I think she also was a musician,

I really didnt want to go into detail as its really obscure and ive only watched it once

thanks
    C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brevity

Lazairus wrote: »
    Hello

Sorry, id didn't want to ask, it was on Tg4 at one stage.

IT was an made by an Australian woman who wanted to document their relationship over the years.

Synopsis
    Father moving away from life of crime , daughter makes documentary on their past relationship. Father is looking after Dying Grandmother. (Father used to be conman)

I think she also was a musician,

I really didnt want to go into detail as its really obscure and ive only watched it once

thanks
    C

Might be worth your while emailing or tweeting TG4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

trying to remember an old black and white British based detective series (probably 40's era), something similar to the 1940's Sherlock Holmes, it would have been early evening fare back in the day on RTE or BBC2 maybe.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

silverharp wrote: »
    trying to remember an old black and white British based detective series (probably 40's era), something similar to the 1940's Sherlock Holmes, it would have been early evening fare back in the day on RTE or BBC2 maybe.

Charlie Chan?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I wasn't expecting much luck by googling this but..

I found this wiki page of BBC programmes and searched for "194"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_programmes_broadcast_by_the_BBC

The candidate that jumps out was Telecrime (BBC 1938 – 1939 & 1946) but it says all the episodes were lost:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecrime
    A whodunit crime drama, Telecrime showed the viewer enough evidence to solve the crime themselves. Most episodes were written by Mileson Horton. All seventeen episodes are lost. Aired live, their preservation was technically difficult at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

breadbin wrote: »
    Charlie Chan?

Not Charlie Chan , though I see a lot them are up on Youtube, I might have a look at a couple of them.

I think I found it , one of the plot lines I remember was about a ghost train and gunrunning in Northern Ireland so it seems to be the Will Hay comedies.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

There was a U.S film that came out either this year or last year, its a drama end I also believe it has some dark humour about a cop (with a moustache) whose son dies.

It got really good reviews but I can't find it on various sites that have lists foe the best films of 2018/19.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

siblers wrote: »
    There was a U.S film that came out either this year or last year, its a drama end I also believe it has some dark humour about a cop (with a moustache) whose son dies.

It got really good reviews but I can't find it on various sites that have lists foe the best films of 2018/19.

Thunder Road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

jh79 wrote: »
    Thunder Road?

Perfect, thanks!

Advertisement