Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Pay

• 25-11-2017 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

How much longer... Have you even got a expected date?

Have you started the project to have Apple Pay?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

CowboyTed wrote: »

Hi there,

Thanks for getting in touch with us through Boards.

We've no up date on this but we'll be sure to let everyone know if there is any change with this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Hi there,

We've no up date on this but we'll be sure to let everyone know if there is any change with this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Darren,

Sorry.. But this answer (which is a stock answer from all in BOI) just cannot be acceptable...

Is Bank of Ireland working on a Solution?

If they have we would have expected that Bank of Ireland started months ago. Is it fair to presume this?

If Yes, What is the Expected time of Delivery of the Solution...

If No, Why did it take so long to start?

Bank of Ireland has been very frustrating on this issues with a blackout of information, does Bank of Ireland find this as a productive method of communicating with a customer. 

Failure to give us more information (expected date of delivery) would presume that Bank of Ireland has no plan for a solution and thus don't see this issues as a priority. This would suggest that Bank of Ireland is happy not having Apple Pay and are going to concentrate on other customer services. If this is the case, me and many of your customers are fine and we can consider our future banking needs.

Hi there,

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Darren,

Sorry.. But this answer (which is a stock answer from all in BOI) just cannot be acceptable...

If they have we would have expected that Bank of Ireland started months ago. Is it fair to presume this?

Bank of Ireland has been very frustrating on this issues with a blackout of information, does Bank of Ireland find this as a productive method of communicating with a customer. 

Failure to give us more information (expected date of delivery) would presume that Bank of Ireland has no plan for a solution and thus don't see this issues as a priority. This would suggest that Bank of Ireland is happy not having Apple Pay and are going to concentrate on other customer services. If this is the case, me and many of your customers are fine and we can consider our future banking needs.

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with my answer, we don't have any further information on this.
    As mentioned please be assured that we will let everyone know through all our social media channels including on this post if we do get any update on this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

Hi there,

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Darren,

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with my answer, we don't have any further information on this.
    As mentioned please be assured that we will let everyone know through all our social media channels including on this post if we do get any update on this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Darren,
    I didn't state I was unhappy with your answer, I am unhappy with the Bank's answer. I presume you didn't create the policy on not communicating with the Bank's customers.
    So why is the bank not responding to thinks they actually know. Is there a project started for this solution? If not, the Bank's position is that they rate other issues more important, that's OK, Bank of Ireland doesn't need to give us what those are or why they are more important.
    But we do deserve the respect as a customer for years to know if or when you to have this issue addressed. 

Not giving that information doesn't allow us to plan. That shows us that you don't care about our problems. I don't think Bank of Ireland wants to project this. So why does the bank continue with this policy of not informing their own customers by keeping them in the dark?

Lastly, please don't try and personalise this.. We have been courteous from the start. We have treated you a the bank customer representatives. We can only ask this and you are representing the bank, we can't ring the CEO or the IT Department and we are not meant too. So when we ask a question for about 9 months we would expect an answer. 

We are loyal customers who are sticking by Bank of Ireland on this issue but I think we deserve more respect than the refusal to answer these simple questions. Could Bank of Ireland give us a bit more respect and give us an actual update on where you are on this issue?

No Answer yet?

• Advertisement

Hi there,

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Darren,

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with my answer, we don't have any further information on this.
    As mentioned please be assured that we will let everyone know through all our social media channels including on this post if we do get any update on this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Darren,
    I didn't state I was unhappy with your answer, I am unhappy with the Bank's answer. I presume you didn't create the policy on not communicating with the Bank's customers.
    So why is the bank not responding to thinks they actually know. Is there a project started for this solution? If not, the Bank's position is that they rate other issues more important, that's OK, Bank of Ireland doesn't need to give us what those are or why they are more important.
    But we do deserve the respect as a customer for years to know if or when you to have this issue addressed.

Not giving that information doesn't allow us to plan. That shows us that you don't care about our problems. I don't think Bank of Ireland wants to project this. So why does the bank continue with this policy of not informing their own customers by keeping them in the dark?

Lastly, please don't try and personalise this.. We have been courteous from the start. We have treated you a the bank customer representatives. We can only ask this and you are representing the bank, we can't ring the CEO or the IT Department and we are not meant too. So when we ask a question for about 9 months we would expect an answer.

We are loyal customers who are sticking by Bank of Ireland on this issue but I think we deserve more respect than the refusal to answer these simple questions. Could Bank of Ireland give us a bit more respect and give us an actual update on where you are on this issue?

Hi cowboyted,

Please be assured that all feedback posted on all of our threads would be noted and passed on to management. Sorry again but at the moment we don't have any further information on Apple Pay. As mentioned we will be sure to let all of our customers know straight away if there is any change on this.
    If you're unhappy with this or any aspect of the service please see here to make an official complaint.

Thanks again,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

They're not going to give you the answer you want until they launch it. plenty of banks in Ireland have it already. Vote with your feet and when the bank asks why you're leaving, tell them.

My current account and our joint bills account (different banks) both have android and apple pay.

The Irish Independent states:
    “A spokesman for Bank of Ireland said that it is not planning to incorporate the technology.”
    The article was written by Adrian Weckler on 23rd Nov 2017 under the title:
    “Tap more than your feet as charities and buskers go digital”.

I’ve waited patiently for months as a loyal customer to be disappointed by this response. This, along with the serious cut backs of customer service staff in local branches shows yet another example of the lack of focus on customer service & care. This is not a reflection on the customer service staff but a reflection on how the hierarchy of BOI views customer service & care. These constant cut backs have finally brought me to a decision to change banks as I feel I will receive the services I want elsewhere and hopefully more care.

Hi there,

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Darren,

I'm sorry that you're unhappy with my answer, we don't have any further information on this.
    As mentioned please be assured that we will let everyone know through all our social media channels including on this post if we do get any update on this.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Darren,
    I didn't state I was unhappy with your answer, I am unhappy with the Bank's answer. I presume you didn't create the policy on not communicating with the Bank's customers.

Not giving that information doesn't allow us to plan. That shows us that you don't care about our problems. I don't think Bank of Ireland wants to project this. So why does the bank continue with this policy of not informing their own customers by keeping them in the dark?

Lastly, please don't try and personalise this.. We have been courteous from the start. We have treated you a the bank customer representatives. We can only ask this and you are representing the bank, we can't ring the CEO or the IT Department and we are not meant too. So when we ask a question for about 9 months we would expect an answer.

Hi cowboyted,

Please be assured that all feedback posted on all of our threads would be noted and passed on to management. Sorry again but at the moment we don't have any further information on Apple Pay. As mentioned we will be sure to let all of our customers know straight away if there is any change on this.
    If you're unhappy with this or any aspect of the service please see here to make an official complaint.

Thanks again,
    Darren.
    Darren,

I refer to my earlier questions... They are simple questions ask as a customer of your bank, I believe I should be planning for the future... I own a business and deposit large sums in your bank...

Darren, I didn't ask for your personal knowledge, I asked for the banks actual answer, please don't try and personalise it ask your own. That is a basic insult to our intelligence.  

I ask a business customer as your bank. I need to plan my activities and your refusal to answer says we should find alternative banking solutions...

So simply am I banking with Bank of Ireland with a plan or moving to another bank? The questions above would give an answer.

Please don't give that stock answer again. We are real customers who deserve a real answer.

Wheety wrote: »
    They're not going to give you the answer you want until they launch it. plenty of banks in Ireland have it already. Vote with your feet and when the bank asks why you're leaving, tell them.

My current account and our joint bills account (different banks) both have android and apple pay.
    Wheety,

Thanks for your response... I have €500k+ on deposit in BOI with a 50k mortgage.... Luckily we expect to push that above a million in the next year.

I work heavily in the banking IT sector abroad. We need to show that we are highly IT banking savvy. 

Who would you recommend for our business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭Tow

BOI outsourced their IT ~15 years ago.  So everything has by and large stagnated since them.  When SEPA came along they ended up outsourcing their payment processing to 'An American Bank', see Dáil records.  They started a project (~1bn over 5 years) to replace their core system and bring processing back in house etc.   This is currently eating resources, but hopefully, if it succeeds BOI will have once again have world class IT...  
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/bank-of-ireland-reviews-900m-technology-plan-as-new-ceo-arrives-1.3241697
    At a guess, there is little chance of Apple Pay being integrated into their current legacy systems.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

When is BOI going to answer my questions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi CowboyTed,

Darren has provided a link to our complaints process if you should wish to raise a formal complaint about this or any other aspect of our service.

We're unable to assist you further with this query and the replies you've received here are official Bank of Ireland responses. As mentioned, when we do have any information in relation to mobile payments we'll let our customers know.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bryanholland

Very Annoyed customer
    What is wrong with Bank of Ireland?!!!
    Are they afraid to let us use Apple Pay with Bank of Ireland visa & Mastercard? Or is it greed again? Just got a new Apple phone and was so disappointed and annoyed that I CANNOT use Apple Pay on my phone. I am thinking of changing to AIB. Are Bank of Ireland to mean to put in a simple program like Apple Pay up on there systems!! Maybe they might think about there loyal customers and get Apple Pay ASAP Please!!!!

Hi CowboyTed,

Darren has provided a link to our complaints process if you should wish to raise a formal complaint about this or any other aspect of our service.

We're unable to assist you further with this query and the replies you've received here are official Bank of Ireland responses. As mentioned, when we do have any information in relation to mobile payments we'll let our customers know.

Thanks
    Tara

I have asked questions, they are simple questions which if the bank cares about customer Carr should have no problem answering...
    I am doing this in good faith and am being treated like I am complaining.
    The questions are simple:
    Have you a project setup to deliver Apple Pay and when do they intend to deliver?

That allows your customers like me to plan?
    Why do you treat me with such disrespect? As a customer do I not deserve the minimum of the truth?
    Please could explain why you are not releasing information which is readily available in your company

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Caroleia

I just want to row in here and say I'm really disappointed to hear that there's on plan to introduce Apple pay anytime soon. May also now vote with my feet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

The Irish Independent states:
    “A spokesman for Bank of Ireland said that it is not planning to incorporate the technology.”
    The article was written by Adrian Weckler on 23rd Nov 2017 under the title:
    “Tap more than your feet as charities and buskers go digital”.

I’ve waited patiently for months as a loyal customer to be disappointed by this response. This, along with the serious cut backs of customer service staff in local branches shows yet another example of the lack of focus on customer service & care. This is not a reflection on the customer service staff but a reflection on how the hierarchy of BOI views customer service & care. These constant cut backs have finally brought me to a decision to change banks as I feel I will receive the services I want elsewhere and hopefully more care.

The Indo quote from a BOI rep is very definitive. Not " no plans in near future" , just "no plans".

I'd suspect that they need their core banking system install to happen before they could bring apple/android pay in ....and that's fairly behind schedule.

Seems nonsensicle to say no plans at all to incorporate the technology....shooting themselves in foot but given some of the other decisions made on services, I wouldn't be overly shocked if this was the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Sarah

I have asked questions, they are simple questions which if the bank cares about customer Carr should have no problem answering...
    I am doing this in good faith and am being treated like I am complaining.
    The questions are simple:
    Have you a project setup to deliver Apple Pay and when do they intend to deliver?

That allows your customers like me to plan?
    Why do you treat me with such disrespect? As a customer do I not deserve the minimum of the truth?
    Please could explain why you are not releasing information which is readily available in your company

Hi CowboyTed,

We're sorry that you feel we have disrespected you. We certainly didn't intend this at all. However I'm afraid we can't offer any further information here on Apple Pay as we don't have an update. We will post here on Boards as soon as we do.

Thanks,
    Sarah

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭cupthehand1

I'll just leave this here Bank of Ireland - something for you guys to think about for around 2030 or sometime :rolleyes:

Ulster Bank reveals new Face ID functionality for iPhone X users

"..........Ulster Bank has become one of the first banks in Ireland to enable customers to access its banking app using Face ID on the new Apple iPhone X.

Customers who use the app can still use their PIN to log in as well as Touch ID......"

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/enterprise/face-id-ulster-bank-iphone-x

• Registered Users Posts: 12,665 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Tow wrote: »
    BOI outsourced their IT ~15 years ago.  So everything has by and large stagnated since them.  When SEPA came along they ended up outsourcing their payment processing to 'An American Bank', see Dáil records.  They started a project (~1bn over 5 years) to replace their core system and bring processing back in house etc.   This is currently eating resources, but hopefully, if it succeeds BOI will have once again have world class IT...  
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/financial-services/bank-of-ireland-reviews-900m-technology-plan-as-new-ceo-arrives-1.3241697
    At a guess, there is little chance of Apple Pay being integrated into their current legacy systems.
    They outsourced their IT development to Accenture 3 years ago. Now everything is too costly to implement as Accenture charge a fortune. The new IT system is being cannibalised by consultants and contractors too, and may never see the light of day. Apple Pay is further back in the queue. I'd say it's five years away, once the new system goes in

• Advertisement

I'll just leave this here Bank of Ireland - something for you guys to think about for around 2030 or sometime :rolleyes:

Ulster Bank reveals new Face ID functionality for iPhone X users

"..........Ulster Bank has become one of the first banks in Ireland to enable customers to access its banking app using Face ID on the new Apple iPhone X.

Customers who use the app can still use their PIN to log in as well as Touch ID......"

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/enterprise/face-id-ulster-bank-iphone-x

Yea it is highly annoying... I own a iPhone X and an Apple watch... Face ID stuff is really good, very fast...

We are all apple in our company, I suggested a few years back we might look at Windows PCs and was greeted with a mutiny from my employees even the ones that are Android mobile users... 

Everything with BOI is getting harder and harder... Really like the branch staff but I am getting to a stage where they we have to look at a move...

By the way, who do we go to... Who has the best mix of Technology banking and customer care on the market at the moment? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Yea it is highly annoying... I own a iPhone X and an Apple watch... Face ID stuff is really good, very fast...

We are all apple in our company, I suggested a few years back we might look at Windows PCs and was greeted with a mutiny from my employees even the ones that are Android mobile users... 

Everything with BOI is getting harder and harder... Really like the branch staff but I am getting to a stage where they we have to look at a move...

By the way, who do we go to... Who has the best mix of Technology banking and customer care on the market at the moment? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I just moved from permanent tsb to aib and am very happy with their online services, although ptsb left a lot to be desired. Main reason was moving mortgage but would recommend their day to day services now that I’ve used them.

Apple Pay on debit and credit cards, FaceID for mobile app, quick balance check on app (just open the app and hold a button, without logging in). The app is still letterboxed on the iPhone X but I can live with that. Their online banking is excellent too, with tools for budgeting, etc, that automatically categorise all your transactions.

Customer care so far has been good, although they were vying for my business initially as a mortgage customer. I’ve only had to call them once for something unrelated to mortgage and it was sorted very quickly.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Mod: Hi folks, this is a thread to discuss Apple Pay in relation to Bank of Ireland. If you'd like to discuss other banks, please head over to the Banking forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Beldub01

I’m on a salary of 90k , my wife is a barrister- I have no idea what’s she on - don’t care , never asked
    I will be moving away from bank of ireland within next month - they never even offered me a credit card?! Just had a few more pressing matters on my mind
    Important to vote with your feet and leave BOI unless you are tied to them
    Similarly with Virgin media and their crap tv service and box only Sky doesn’t service our apartment block - so Im stuck without BTSports for the foreseeable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Beldub01 wrote: »
    I’m on a salary of 90k , my wife is a barrister- I have no idea what’s she on - don’t care , never asked
    I will be moving away from bank of ireland within next month - they never even offered me a credit card?! Just had a few more pressing matters on my mind
    Important to vote with your feet and leave BOI unless you are tied to them
    Similarly with Virgin media and their crap tv service and box only Sky doesn’t service our apartment block - so Im stuck without BTSports for the foreseeable

Did you apply for a credit card? Banks are not allowed to offer unsolicited credit (these days)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Beldub01

368100 wrote: »
    Did you apply for a credit card? Banks are not allowed to offer unsolicited credit (these days)

To be honest no , but I seem to have fallen between the cracks a bit , they haven’t contacted me about anything literally in years - not one call - - you’d expect a little more effort from them - I m also mortgage free and we have no kids
    But my main motive is apple pay - pretty backwards looking bank not to make this a priority- as I said vote with your feet

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Any update on Apple Pay a year later Bank of Ireland?? It’s unbelievable that you are so far behind the times!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭misschoo

Any update on Apple Pay a year later Bank of Ireland?? It’s unbelievable that you are so far behind the times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi misschoo,

Thanks for posting.

As mentioned above, as soon as we've any update on mobile payments we will let customers know.

Thanks
    Tara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 eugyoung

Bank of Ireland where is Apple Pay I have banked with you as a priemer account holder for 20 year and I'm running out of patience with you on apple and android pay I want to know when you will enable this service or our 20 year relationship will have to come to a end I have also got British bank accounts and they all support apple pay please resolve this ASAP 

Advertisement