Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-09-2019, 07:53   #1
Rosedust84

Boiler repairs

I got my oil for the winter delivered last week, and the delivery man said there's a hole in the tank. I can't switch on my heating without going out to the boiler and bleeding it. On top of that it is chucking out black smoke. Not sure if there's a problem elsewhere but hot taps aren't working, just dropping cold water. I spoke to my landlord first about the smoke and he said I will have to pay a plumber to service it , but the other problems have come up and he says it is my responsibility to get it all fixed. Is this correct? I am here over a year but have never used the oil heating.

My landlord lives next door so I'm afraid to start bad relations..plus I'm worried if I question it he will evict me. Fridge and washing machine are broken also but the house was rented as unfurnished so I'm thinking these are my responsibility?

I ma a HaP tenant so I am contracted with them to stay here for at least a year, although I am part 4 I believe? Years contract expires a few months ago.
Advertisement
18-09-2019, 08:24   #2
handlemaster

its the landlords issue not the tenants.
(2) thanks from:
18-09-2019, 08:30   #3
miezekatze

He can't just evict you like that, and getting the boiler fixed is the landlord's responsibility. If the fridge etc are yours then it's up to you to get them fixed, but if they came with the house they're the landlord's responsibility too. That's my understanding anyway.
18-09-2019, 08:57   #4
cruizer101

Landlord is required to supply Fridge and Washing Facilities i.e. washing machine.

Hot and Cold water and Adequate Heating are also required to be supplied.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/beginning...property-meet/

Get on to them and tell them they need to get it fixed, refer them to the above link it is from the rtb website.
(2) thanks from:
18-09-2019, 14:36   #5
Rosedust84

Re: the washing machine and fridge, there were none when I moved in, I picked some up second hand but they are in the last of their life, I suppose I didn't argue it moving in so will have to replace them myself. Our next door neighbor moved in a month ago, and had to buy all her own appliances because he 'strictly' doesn't provide these things. The houses are filthy and in awful state of disrepair, gutters broken, holes in the walls, potholes in the drive, myself and a few neighbours got together and asked him about fixing them up, he said we will have to pay the workmen ourselves if we want them cleaned up. Again, I moved in when they were like this so I can't complain much now, my mother in law had paid deposit before I viewed the house so I felt I couldn't go back on it, in my defense

I am not sure how much I can do if he won't repair the heating , my mother in law says not to push it, he knows the family and it's a small town so people talk/I won't get another house easily. It's a sh!t mentality and I am looking for another place,, though not much is coming up for rent and if say I won't get my deposit back either, I treated the place like my own and did previous repairs, we put down new floors etc. But at the end of my tether
Advertisement
18-09-2019, 15:10   #6
Browney7

Good to see the Irish taxpayer subsidising slumlords like this guy via HAP.

Best of luck OP
(2) thanks from:
20-09-2019, 11:53   #7
Rosedust84

I have spoken to landlord again and he is standing firm with this. I spoke to a plumber who said I can't light the open fire while the pump is not working, so I have no heating supply. Not too bad with this late summer we are having but nights/morning are getting cold.

If I am reading the link right, I have to send landlord a letter and give him a chance to rectify, and then contact local authority to do an inspection?

Is the yearly service of the boiler my responsibility?
20-09-2019, 11:57   #8
ted1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browney7 View Post
Good to see the Irish taxpayer subsidising slumlords like this guy via HAP.

Best of luck OP
That escalated quickly.
The landlord said he’ll address the boiler.

The white goods belong to the tenant and are his responsiblity
Thanks from:
20-09-2019, 12:04   #9
Rosedust84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1 View Post
That escalated quickly.

He won't address it, that's the point of my thread ..?
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
20-09-2019, 12:30   #10
Caranica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosedust84 View Post
He won't address it, that's the point of my thread ..?
That is illegal. So much of what you've told us is illegal. To sort it will rock the boat but it needs to be done. Talk to threshold for advice on the next steps
20-09-2019, 13:19   #11
L1011

Quote:
That escalated quickly.

The landlord has to provide a fridge and access to a washing machine. Tenant should be requesting these

RTB complaint is what's needed now.
Thanks from:
20-09-2019, 13:34   #12
Markcheese

I think you're gonna have to rock the boat, if he's well known locally, he'll be well known for being tight...( But in small towns there won't be many places available for rent anyway),
While you can't complain about your personal appliances breaking down, as far as I know the house has to have working fridge, access to laundry and heating (of some kind),
So if you go to rtb he could argue that he'd offered a few crappy electric heaters or something...
I'd be a bit worried about the fireplace and back boiler (apart from them being inefficient and a waste of money), if they're badly installed they're dangerous, and one that need the boiler running to work sounds weird (but that could be miscommunication, from the plumber or something),
20-09-2019, 14:10   #13
Browney7

Quote:
That escalated quickly.

He's totally abdicating his responsibility here. It's guys like him who fuel the stories that the media lap up that drive the tenant legislation that LLs scream blue murder over. Pretty simple
20-09-2019, 17:33   #14
dennyk

Quote:
The landlord doesn't have to repair the tenant's personal white goods, true, but he does have to provide a working fridge, oven, hob, microwave, and washing machine, which he has not done. The landlord is absolutely responsible for seeing to it that those are provided.
(3) thanks from:
20-09-2019, 17:36   #15
Markcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
The landlord doesn't have to repair the tenant's personal white goods, true, but he does have to provide a working fridge, oven, hob, microwave, and washing machine, which he has not done. The landlord is absolutely responsible for seeing to it that those are provided.
Microwave ? I doubt it... Cooker yes...

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion