Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"Is there one person who does not know a family member or friend who got compo claim"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭FFred

I know a few.

I also know people who see it as some form of entitlement income, with phrases like ‘Did you get your claim yet?’ , even when there is no concrete claim in motion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    I know of 3.
    1 genuine and recent broken leg in 3 places not sure how his recovery is going. He was knocked down.

2 fake claims
    1 of the 2 was caught frauding and he was still payed out 16k due to the cost of taking him to court being higher.

The other fake payed out over 60k before court it was insurance final offer just outside court.
    He got a new car and done up his house

I'm not saying that you don't know what happened here but it's often the case that people think they know someone is - was faking injury when in reality they just didn't like the idea of that person getting money and thus decide they are - were faking it

Often they are speculating

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I don't know anyone.

I know 3.

One was for medical negligence that resulted in partial blindness.
    Another two involved serious road collisions, where the person who sued ended up in a wheelchair and lived in a nursing home until he died, his personality completely altered.

Serious, worthwhile cases. I don't think I know of any trivial case, although perhaps people prefer not to talk about those in the community

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I know one. A family member who fell down a manhole that was not closed properly after being worked on. Destroyed his leg and needed operations and pins. Think he actually got around 50k for it. Not enough anyway as that was about a decade a go and it still troubles him but wouldn't be the sort to moan about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

My dad broke his leg at work and got compensation for it he was out of work for over a year afterwards (surgery to pin the 2 halves of the broken femur together, during which he almost died) We had no income other than welfare while he was out of work.

Claim was settled out of court because the legal teams figured it could be proven in court that an uninsured subcontractor was responsible for the cause of the accident and not the principal contractor. Regulation in construction sector was non existent.

Payout was quite small in the end even by 90s standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

I know of one family member 100 pc genuine ,old lady knocked him off a motorcycle, destroyed his hurling career,work for 2 years ,and what he got didn't pay the medical bills

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I'm amazed at how high the number of people who know a compo recipient is. I knew this was a problem, but I'm amazed at how much of a problem it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Personal responsibility doesn't exist any more. Neither does proper spelling and grammar. Amazing how many people think loose = lose, advise = advice, reign = rein nowadays. I blame texting.

I miss the days where if you fell it was your own fault and you didn't lose the run of yourself trying to blame/sue somebody else.

boombang wrote: »
    I'm amazed at how high the number of people who know a compo recipient is. I knew this was a problem, but I'm amazed at how much of a problem it is.

Most of the examples given were - are genuine!

Some perspective is needed here, the UK is often used as a comparison, payouts in the UK are very low

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Some of the injuries here are pretty serious to be fair!

It's the ones who exaggerate their injuries to get more money that are the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

It's not a problem if they're genuine injuries, caused by the genuine negligence or breach of duty of another party who then compensates them proportionately. In fact that's the system working. That FG politician trying to equate Bailey's dishonesty with such cases is the problem, as is the large volume of chancers incentivized by our compensation system.

Some of the injuries here are pretty serious to be fair!

It's the ones who exaggerate their injuries to get more money that are the problem.

Yes indeed but the current media narative is that all claims are phoney, sensationalism sells

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Personal responsibility doesn't exist any more. Neither does proper spelling and grammar. Amazing how many people think loose = lose, advise = advice, reign = rein nowadays. I blame texting.

I miss the days where if you fell it was your own fault and you didn't lose the run of yourself trying to blame/sue somebody else.
    If you're including genuine compensation claims, then yes there probably is a culture of that. But I bet everyone here can think of a case where they or a family member were involved in an accident or where a professional made a mistake which left them out of pocket, and they didn't sue.

Doctors, for example, make mistakes on a daily basis and probably 99% of them don't end in litigation. A good doctor with 20 years service will probably only have one or two claims against his practice in that period, and will certainly have made far more serious mistakes in that time where a case would at least be stateable.

I'm not convinced there is a compensation culture across society. The reason why absurd cases make the newspapers is because they stand out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

If you're including genuine compensation claims, then yes there probably is a culture of that. But I bet everyone here can think of a case where they or a family member were involved in an accident or where a professional made a mistake which left them out of pocket, and they didn't sue.

Doctors, for example, make mistakes on a daily basis and probably 99% of them don't end in litigation. A good doctor with 20 years service will probably only have one or two claims against his practice in that period, and will certainly have made far more serious mistakes in that time where a case would at least be stateable.

I'm not convinced there is a compensation culture across society. The reason why absurd cases make the newspapers is because they stand out.

There definitely is a compensation culture, you're just not part of it.

Like anything it tends to be concentrated in particular sections of society, ones that wouldn't overlap much with financial professionals from a well-off rural background.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Add my wigger nephew to the list.

Blew it on champagne and auld ones

He had a penchant for the finer wines?

I knew a lad who was in a car crash when he was young, got a big haul of money. He wasn't entitled to it until he was eighteen.

When he came of age he was on the piss and drugs for a few years until it was all gone. His brain was zapped after all the sh1t he did.

Sad bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I'm not saying that you don't know what happened here but it's often the case that people think they know someone is - was faking injury when in reality they just didn't like the idea of that person getting money and thus decide they are - were faking it

Often they are speculating

All 3 claims are friends of mind 2 of them are brothers. Guess which ones were faked.

Broken leg friend will recover fine apparently I thought he'd never walk right again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Anyone know anyone who has been or currently is being sued?

I do. They contested and won as well.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    There definitely is a compensation culture, you're just not part of it.

Like anything it tends to be concentrated in particular sections of society, ones that wouldn't overlap much with financial professionals from a well-off rural background.

It's a part of traveller culture, thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SnazzyPig

The high number of people who know a compensation recipient doesn't mean mean the number of recipients is high.

As with cancer, most people will know of someone who has died from it but many will know the same person who died from cancer, not a different person in each case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I know one, broke her leg very badly at work and spent a few months in hospital after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I know one, "whiplash" case, caused in a RTA. They used to talk about having it and how bad it is... I never actually saw this affecting them in any way or having any "real world" consequences though.

I don't think anyone is assuming 100% of all claims are fraudulent but I think we can all agree that a disproportionate amount of claims are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I know someone who shattered her ankle, couldn't put weight on it for months, walk on it for six months. Is still feeling the consequences years later of the injury which was uncontested (it was a clear cut case of negligence). Yet when she got her award was pictured in the papers and ridiculed viciously in social media.

Because of this I have absolutely no sympathy for Maria Bailey, she quite clearly attempted to game the system and got caught. I'll be pissed if she doesn't face some sort of censure for her behaviour. Looking at the blatent spin in the last week I suspect it will be swept under the carpet as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I know a few all legit. Fella who fell off a ****e scaffold. Guy who had a tractor trailer put down on his foot. Guy who had hand in an auger when another fool started it up despite being locked out.

BUT I know 1 woman who has had 3 claims and a workplace payout totalling approx 500k. She is neither family or friend.

hightower1 wrote: »
    I know one, "whiplash" case, caused in a RTA. They used to talk about having it and how bad it is... I never actually saw this affecting them in any way or having any "real world" consequences though.

I don't think anyone is assuming 100% of all claims are fraudulent but I think we can all agree that a disproportionate amount of claims are.

How would you know with any certainty " how bad it is"?

A person could struggle daily with pain while appearing normal to everyone

I know a few all legit. Fella who fell off a ****e scaffold. Guy who had a tractor trailer put down on his foot. Guy who had hand in an auger when another fool started it up despite being locked out.

BUT I know 1 woman who has had 3 claims and a workplace payout totalling approx 500k. She is neither family or friend.

I had a solid block ( 25 kg) land on my foot over a year ago, was helping someone remove an oil tank from a shelf in a garage, we were half way through sliding out the tank when a 6 inch block rolls out and falls four feet onto my foot, guy immediately yells " I forgot about the fcuking block"

I've a history of chronic pain so I've not had a single day free of pain since and arthritis has emerged as a contributing factor

Guy decided to be completely belligerent about the whole thing and eventually will in all likelyhood have a charge on his house as he's left it too long to report to his insurance company

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Nope, none of my family and friends have received or looked for a compo claim that I am aware of.

They generally, life myself, tend to take responsibility for their actions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭LouD2016

I have a very "accident prone" cousin and also know a girl that has received a sizeable amount for whiplash although she was able to go to the gym every day after her accident.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Nope, none of my family and friends have received or looked for a compo claim that I am aware of.

Very stoic, let us know how you get on if someone hits you with their car ( or causes you injury in some other way through their careless actions) some day and you end up seriously hurt and out of pocket, don't think you're so special that it can't happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Confused1aaa

JupiterKid wrote: »

Thats quite a judgmental post! Not all claimants are irresponsible or out for what they can get, you can’t judge or know what you would do in their situation. In fact some cases are to make the people who caused the accidents responsible for what happened

I’ve no problem admitting I have received compo in the past, I had an accident at work due to improperly installed equipment and was off work for weeks with no wages or contribution towards medical costs. The business owner had a stinking attitude and made jokes about what happened and ended up making a profit from my accident. I eventually had to give up the career I loved and spent years training for, as I was in too much pain to continue with the job. 5 years on I’m still in pain as a result of that injury

The compo covered my medical bills, lost wages and a little bit left over that I used towards retraining, I don’t regret claiming in the slightest.

Advertisement