Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Apprentice UK 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

You'd think that if you were going to be a contestant on the show you'd do some research into how best to approach the buy X items task.

The level of chaos, conflict and disorganization is mind boggling. I guess that's what makes the show interesting.

I always think that the contestants who get fired on week 1 must be absolutely gutted. You're excited about being on the show and 'gone in 60 minutes'!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭TJ Mackie

Not at all.

None of it is scripted.

There's been a few past contestants who have said it was scripted.

There was also a store owner in London who described how he had a some producers come in and say they were going to use his shop, and would he agree to take a price that was way below asking. He said no, they said he was silly to turn down exposure on national TV, and he said he'd rather not be seen on TV being bullied into taking a loss on his product.

Also read somewhere that they use the same casting agency as Geordie Shore, TOWIE and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

TJ Mackie wrote: »

There was also a store owner in London who described how he had a some producers come in and say they were going to use his shop, and would he agree to take a price that was way below asking. He said no, they said he was silly to turn down exposure on national TV, and he said he'd rather not be seen on TV being bullied into taking a loss on his product.

Also read somewhere that they use the same casting agency as Geordie Shore, TOWIE and the likes.

I'd agree that there's a layer of setting up for sure. Given that any shop would have to sign a waiver for footage to be used, I'd say producers front-run to various shops to get clearance but the actual negotiations or presentations and products that are made in other episodes are completely unscripted.

I hadn't heard about the casting agencies before but I did read Alan Sugars book previously where he spoke about it (I think) but have forgotten what was said. I'd say that they'd naturally go to casting agencies looking for people with business plans as they need 'personalities' rather than having 16 level headed business people but none of it is staged nor are there stooges in the process.

So I'd say it's not scripted at all but there's certainly teeing up by production to get waivers and certain persons or businesses to appear as otherwise the show wouldn't be able to function.

Saying that, I do know that the end of the final boardroom is scripted in so far as both contestants are told to act out if they won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

That's not 'scripted'

The whole process itself - as in who is fired when, who wins the show/each task, who saves who and so on is all completely legit, even if there might be some manipulation at play in each case

Anyhow, I missed this Wednesday but I'll probably wait till week 3 or 4 to start watching proper when I can actually get to know everyone from the off :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Good decision getting rid of the one with the fish lips, I'd say she didn't make up with Jasmine either because it didn't show them having a hug at the end.

She was the most ignorant person I've seen on the show for a long time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Isn't it all scripted though? Didn't plenty of people come out and reveal that it wasn't just the boardroom, but the whole show - tasks and all - that are scripted?

Not scripted but obviously doesn't flow as smoothly. The boardroom takes hours, read that when they go into a shop/premises have to get written consent etc. from store owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I wish they'd get rid of the stupid shot of the fired person getting into the taxi. It is pointless and most fans of the show know that it is filmed by all candidates in advance.

As for the new season, I'm also glad Lips is gone. She would have been a headwrecker. Jasmine seems to be fairly level headed so I expect her to last a while unless she makes a major mistake.

You have to admire the raw enthusiasm of the Kayode - he seems genuinely delighted to be there.

As usual though, it takes a few weeks to get a handle on everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,973 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

No they didn’t choose any team names which is unusual as it’s normally the first think they do.

I spotted that too. However, they usually (I think) come up with the name in the house, on the first task. They didn't, this time, get to the house until after the first task? Just a thought.
    Isn't it all scripted though? Didn't plenty of people come out and reveal that it wasn't just the boardroom, but the whole show - tasks and all - that are scripted?

Scripted, I don't think so. Edited to within an inch of its life - yes.

One thing I noted this time, a strategy that I had never really noticed before was - the tactic used by the "mom-trepreneur" *shudder* of defending the team leader before she selected the two to be called back in. Probably was used hundreds of times but oul dimwit here just noticed it on this episode.

BTW - we have a pool in the office. My two which I picked from a bag were "lips" and Mr. I want to win an oscar! FML

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Only realised Sir Alan was back last night.:eek:

Am I in a majority of one in thinking this year's contestants appear to be the worst crop ever??:confused:

I thought they simply appalling.

The boys team leader is the spitting image of Pogba!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Just watched it myself. On the balance of it, Jackie should have gone, but lips was very annoying and would have probably wrecked my head.

I probably would have fired both just to shake things up.

I think lots more weeks of car crash telly ahead though!

• Advertisement

In fairness I think every year we say it's the worst bunch yet.

I will say though that last year's winners were probably the weakest yet by a long shot (since the switch to investment rather than a job) and I'd hope to God that there's a few better than them this year.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Only realised Sir Alan was back last night.:eek:

Am I in a majority of one in thinking this year's contestants appear to be the worst crop ever??:confused:

I thought they simply appalling.

The boys team leader is the spitting image of Pogba!

Theres only been one real episode yet so its a bit early to tell but I think last years were the worst crop ever.

So bad, AMS couldn't decide which was the least worst of the finalists and hired both.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Week 2. Who will annoy me.

Odds on someone either putting something insulting, inappropriate or offensive in their comic books designed for 8-12 year old?

Have a feeling that they're not going to name teams at least until the boys v girls split into mixed groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

BENJI?!?

Awful stuff from both so far

Girl team leader is a battleaxe.

Far too incapable of taking any direction or suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Randi Gogo....great stripper name.

These are all shocking I have a couple of nephews in that 8 to 12 range...they would think both concepts are far too babyish

Another lip filler for the chop.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

The girls team leader....waggggon

• Advertisement

gmisk wrote: »
    The girls team leader....waggggon

None of them are particularly great. This will be a car crash

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    None of them are particularly great. This will be a car crash

And she's arguing with the clients... Bye bye girl

More diverse? A kid really said that?

If the girls lose, the PM is gone.

If the boys lose, David who pointed out negatives is gone. The lads will just hop on that.

Did she just say she has no idea who Kim Jong Un is but he must have done something good to be compared to him...

Sweet Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

He should have fired the three of them.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,973 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The boy's team leader was as close to desperation and begging that I've ever seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,533 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

To be honest how didn't the terminator guy not get fired?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

everlast75 wrote:
    The boy's team leader was as close to desperation and begging that I've ever seen!

Thought he was going to burst into tears tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭siblers

3 of the 7 girls have lip fillers (excluding last week's one) tis a bit ridiculous

Advertisement