Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What I paddled today thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Myself and two buddies did the Ballintrillick river in co Sligo today. The river was bone dry, and we had to get out and walk on a few sections :eek: But with a bit of lube it definatlely looks like it could be a savage river. We also got a quick blast on the Duff on our way home. Good day.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭irishlostboy

Truley wrote: »
    Myself and two buddies did the Ballintrillick river in co Sligo today.

25732_1371331612867_1519073567_968399_1529348_n.jpg
    25732_1371331652868_1519073567_968400_4466817_n.jpg
    photo proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Paddled from kilkenny to thomastown on the Nore on Thursday, 20.5 km, and from Bennets brige to Inistioge on the Nore again today, 23 km. Serious flood on the river so some record times set, averaging today at 17.5 km/hr!!!:eek:
    Although we were in a double racing boat, which may have had something to do with that speed!!!

today was Easkey river, Co. Sligo. level was stonking good. all rapids were good to go. set up safety on double trouble and the bridge. such a good river. grade 3-4.
    25732_1374314367434_1519073567_975127_1730721_n.jpg
    Ronan on double trouble.
    25732_1374314487437_1519073567_975130_2819559_n.jpg
    me below the bridge.

yesterday was balisodare and bonet. today was the dunniel. wonder what we will do tomorow?
    23702_1376221295106_1519073567_982128_4559115_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

While feeling rather lazy I took a wee spin dow to the "New Weir" on the river Nore which was almost washed out for a bit of a blast.

The level didn't lend its self to much more than "Spin to Win" or "Soul Surfing"....

Far from exciting but beats sitting on the couch...

I was even bored enought to edit all be it badly some video which is still processing but click through and watch the "HD 720" once its done as its a bit smoother and should work better on most comps.

A

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

kayaking alone tut tut :P

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

ec18 wrote: »
    kayaking alone tut tut :P

Kayaking, Alone, Me.....Never... Sure wasn't there a guy holding the camera, throw bag in hand :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Etienne Muller

It's nice to see the pictures in the posts. Keep them coming.

Et

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Etienne Muller

Couple of days ago did a couple of hours around Oysterbed Harbour near Sneem

Etienne

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sineadgalway

Had a few nice runs Friday and today through Castleconnell in my canadian....water was down from Friday but good trip all the same and great weather

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

Bray to Greystones yesterday morning and back again lovely flat day:)

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭decdev

Bray to somwhere tomorrow morning early:)

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Did 7.75km down the Barrow from Graiguenamanagh to Ballyknock yesterday in a Moonster Kayak, wonderful day for it and great craic going over the weirs.

Junior Liffey on saturday, water was shíte low despite a bit of a flood being let off . . .

Upper Liffey race called off yesterday as the esb couldnt do a flood two days in a row due to a lack of water. :mad: Flat race on the lake in Leixlip instead :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

First time out today for 'proper' paddle since 'Summer' 2008.

Out of Howth Harbour and around by Balscadden to the general area of Pipers Gut. Lovely evening, once the rain moved off, and just a small swell.

Part of preparation for a forthcoming joint trip around the coastline of Howth Head - Sutton Dinghy Club to Howth Harbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭se conman

Just about to head to Clashganny for a days sport.First time out this year and really looking forward to it , just hope the weather holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

out on donabate beach.....knocking about in some surf

dunniel, Co sligo. grade 3 with grade 4ish sections. crap for safety and rescue due to the gorge.
    it rained last night pretty well so we went at it first thing. water was low and dropping, but good enough to go. booftastic fun by all, and broachtastic fun by some. sure beats flatwater.

Brought a group of beginners down Clashganny. Incredibly low water levels!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 steveoracle

I haven't paddled anything for weeks now, :(, very very dry and no hope of rain soon... grrrr....

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭rgfuller

Paddled my Frenzy with an "IrishCanoeKayak.com" trip-group from Graiguenamanagh down the river Barrow over a few Wiers Saturday - thank god the rain was warm! Great craic with a few spills.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

My two year old just got his brand new Fluid vaya sit on top - so we went down to the local river and messed around. My 7 year old has her level 2 in a few week so I was putting her through her paces and in between I messed around in my uber comfortable Riot Astro
    Chris
    www.kayakhut.com

rgfuller wrote: »
    Paddled my Frenzy with an "IrishCanoeKayak.com" trip-group from Graiguenamanagh down the river Barrow over a few Wiers Saturday - thank god the rain was warm! Great craic with a few spills.

The barrow has finally risen a bit, clashganny isn't quite as low as it was!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭christramp

Fantastic night - the rain finally came and made these rivers runnable. The Dargle is an awesome contininual steep & technical run. The avonmore was on the high side of medium and a great run. I tried to blast through the hole at jacksons and got swallowed up but recovered it, then there was a bit of craic jumping and seal launching off Jacksons
    Chris
    www.kayakhut.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 SamB64

Visiting friends in Teesside and the unexpected rain meant we got a run down the middles tees Whorlton to Piecebridge - only a little extra water but enough

Ah takes me back to college without the drinking capacity. :(

Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Did the Barrow from Goresbridge to Graig last sunday - what beautiful scenery!.
    Plan to do Graig to St Mullins next week, hope it is as nice.

Glenalla wrote: »
    Did the Barrow from Goresbridge to Graig last sunday - what beautiful scenery!.
    Plan to do Graig to St Mullins next week, hope it is as nice.

Graig to st.mullins is generally a bit more exciting, but with current water levels it will be a bit of a slog!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bjg

I hope you'll forgive a contribution from a non-canoeing non-kayaking person, although on the expedition in question I did actually do a lot of paddling. I'm actually a barge-driver, but with an interest in little-used or forgotten navigations. I know several people from here have visited my page about the Upper Suir between Carrick-on-Suir and Clonmel http://irishwaterwayshistory.com/abandoned-or-little-used-irish-waterways/the-upper-suir-carrick-to-clonmel/.

Anyway, with a family group, I recently went along the almost-forgotten Rockville Navigation in Co Roscommon: there were five of us and two dogs, in one dinghy, two kayaks and an inflatable kayak. At least at the very low water levels that prevailed, this would not appeal to whitewater enthusiasts, but it was a fascinating trip through canalised sections of rivers, small lakes and finally a shallow river. It took us four hours to fight through the vegetation, but kayaks alone could have done it a lot faster. We didn't cover the whole of the navigation, though. We thought it was a gorgeous stretch of water, with historic and scenic attractions as well as the feeling of exploring little-used waters (we weren't the first: I know of others who have taken small boats and kayaks around the waterway) and I'd like it to be better known. The more use a waterway gets, the more likely it is to be kept open (although I have no idea what the local landowners think about it).

If you are interested, you can read my account of the trip (with maps and lots of photos) here.

bjg

• Advertisement

summer rain is good.
    34968_1491452975826_1519073567_1273434_1413447_n.jpg

35425_1470134402875_1519073567_1217613_7560862_n.jpg

there is (nearly) always surf in the northwest.
    39023_1510749738233_1519073567_1328791_3625116_n.jpg

29705_394565123868_507838868_4245934_4397884_n.jpg

not a bad summer really when you think about it. hope others are also having fun.

Advertisement