Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Champix aka Chantix/Varenicline

Options
  • 10-01-2009 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

So I got the prescription yesterday, bought the drugs today & plan to start on Monday. Has anyone used them before? How did it go for you? Pros/Cons? Side effects? Have you stayed off the cigarettes? Any opinions/queries welcome! :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭anonymousjunkie

Yeh, took em myself. Your meant to continue smoking on em for the first week or two anyway, you'll find that after a few days you don't get anything out of a cigarette anyway so it starts to be a little pointless smoking.

I stopped smoking the second week I was taking them. Found them brilliant, didn't really bother me not smoking at all even in the pub. I did start to get really cranky on them after a few weeks, and had some stomach upsets particularly after being on the beer.

Been off the smokes now about 2 months and delighted, stopped taking the tablets about a week or so ago and you do find yourself thinking about cigarettes a bit more than when on the champix but nothing so bad that you'd think of going back on the smokes.

Would recommend them to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Poutbutton

Yea I've noted a few people said they felt nausea while on it, the leaflet does'nt mention alcohol while taking it at all, I did wonder about that. I suppose there's only one way to find out...did you experience dizziness or sleepiness at all? I drive as part of my job, that side effect could be a problem if it occurs.

Had no problems driving, was a bit worried about that myself as I commute on a motorbike, but it didn't affect me at all.

I'm hearing all sorts from people afraid to try them, tales of sleepless nights, vivid dreaming or night terrors etc. Looking forward to feeling free of smoking so much that I'm going to give them a try. The doc said if you feel anything untoward you can halve the dosage or simply stop taking them so what the hey, I'm a trier. I cant remember what it feels like not to smoke at this stage, been at it since I was 14 what a bad idea that was!

I did have a couple of weird dreams the first night or two but that was it, nothing to be worried about it. None of the side effects I experienced were enough to make me stop taking them, it was worth it to stop smoking.

Now its just a case of making sure I never have that 1 cigarette in a moment of weakness.

• Advertisement

Well done, I hope I can say the same thing in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭DonnieL

Hi Poutbutton, I'm on day 7 with Chantix which means tomorrow is my quit date. To date I have not experienced any of the referenced side effects. The only difference that I've noticed is the desire to have a smoke has decreased already. I've been smoking for 50 years and I am so looking forward to being "clean".:) Maybe we can compare notes as we go along..

Thanks thats great DonnieL & yes I'll check in here daily, see how we get on. I'm taking my first tablet tomorrow morning, also cant wait to experience not wanting to smoke. My pharmacist said I'll want to stop after 3 days or so, doc said you pick a day in the first 14 to stop....I'll let the cravings or hopefully, lack of them decide for me.
    I've seen some videos on youtube by people using it & 2 say they did'nt need to continue for the recommended 3 months...interesting considering it'll have cost €300 at that point but it'll be so worth it in the longrun to be off the fags. Best of luck with your quit day tomorrow!:)

Hello again, I'm assuming that your in GB by your posts. I'm in Southern California and Cigarettes are $50.00 dollars a carton and up. I WILL keep you posted on my progress.

I'm in Dublin, Ireland. A pack of cigarettes here costs €8 so roughly speaking, saving that for a year as a 20 a day smoker would be just under €3000! But the cost is less important to me, it's the health benefit I'm after. 24 years a smoker now & it's high time I stoppped, I hate the smell, the need to revolve what I do around having a cigarette, I simply dont enjoy smoking it's pure addiction for me.

• Advertisement

I see you're currently off line. I forgot to ask if you'd registered for Champix/Chantix's "Get Quit" support program. They email you daily as you progress through you first step (week) with suggestions and pointers for that particular day. I find it very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bayan

Hey Poutbutton, a mate of mine went on Champix last year, he was doing great. But he didn't stay on the Champix for the recommended time - he was understandably confident that he had kicked the habit. He's back on the smokes now but is starting on the Champix again in Feb. His advice would be not to get complacent! He found it quite easy though, so that's the good news!

DonnieL wrote: »
    I see you're currently off line. I forgot to ask if you'd registered for Champix/Chantix's "Get Quit" support program. They email you daily as you progress through you first step (week) with suggestions and pointers for that particular day. I find it very helpful.

I went on the Get Quit site, it's very good. Unfortunately, you can only register with American/Canadian bought chantix as you need a code. However, in looking it up I came accross a myriad of other support sites so thanks for the heads up DonnieL, I dont think there is a European version of the site.

Thanks Bayan, that's interesting, I guess your friend is proof that the recommended 3 months is there for a reason.

I just popped the first pill!

Great! Hang in there. I'm having my first morning coffee without the smokes!:rolleyes:

Great, I'm off work with flu getting better now, still smoking but only til I feel I dont want them anymore. Did you rid your home of all cigarettes? I reckon I'll have a bit of a ceremony dumping ashtrays & lighters etc. Hope your 1st day goes well smoke free!

That's funny! I came down with Bronchitis when I started and of course the smoking only made the coughing worse. No I haven't got rid of the cigs yet. I put them all in the freezer because I still have about 8 packs. $$$$$$$$ It hurts to flush money down the toilet! I'll try donating to a smoker friend. Or, try selling back to the tobacco shoppe. =^)

I gave up with Champix last year - it took me two attempts (I "relapsed" on holidays - don't think you can have "one"). Definitely stay on them for 3 months and when you are stopping Champix it's better to "wean" yourself off them as opposed to stopping immediately. You can do this by cutting down to 1/2mg a day for a week, 1/2mg every second day etc. Other things - I got by on taking 1mg once a day instead of the recommended 1mg twice a day. If you take the tablet with food you shouldn't have any probs with nausea. I stopped smoking after about a week of taking champix.

Ha Ha, I never knew you could freeze them! I'd be too tempted if I had them at hand. I got sick last wednesday, I had been boasting that I had'nt had 1 cold for the entire year of 2008 then Blam! I got hit hard. Our lungs will thank us for the Champix experience I think :D

• Advertisement

Hi Glasso & thanks for the advice. I took my first pill this morning with my oats & have felt no nausea so far. Yes I have read the same from others in so far as never letting slip by fooling yourself into having "just the one", I'll keep that in mind when I get to that stage.

Right now I'm still getting over the bronchitis. So right now the quit date is helping. Maybe I can get through a night with coughing my fool head off. Have a smoke for me while you can! ha! ha!

I should'nt tease you but yes I'm having one right now.

That's OK my friend! A good test! Well I'm off to shower and vacate before my cleaning people get here. Keep in touch!

Well I gave myself the ULTIMATE test! I went to Starbucks, took my coffee out on the patio, and watched people smoke. Believe it or not it, it didn't bother me, and I had NO desire to have a cig!

Congratulations! I almost feel guilty seeing as I'm allowed to still smoke :rolleyes:

Don't feel guilty! Indulge while you can! I was going to say "enjoy". But at this juncture at think the "indulge" is more appropriate! =^)

Well it's after 10:00 PM California Time and I made it for day 1! Even had a couple Whiskey and 7's before dinner. Heading for bed now to see what tomorrow brings. Good Night "QuitMate" =^)

Thats great your first day over and not even tempted with a whisky! I think we all expect the first day to be the worst, well done sir!
    I hear you have strict no smoking laws in California, we have them in Ireland a few years now too. Some pubs have even had to close as they lost so much custom due to the ban. Most public venues have built beer gardens for the smokers, they even installed outdoor heaters to keep the punters coming.
    I remember standing on the pavement outside Logan airport in Boston some years back having my last smoke before the 2 hour checkin wait and 5 and a half hour flight back to Dublin, with no smoking area in the airport.
    I lit up and was promptly told I could not smoke inside the yellow line painted on the footpath by a guy in uniform, I looked at the yellow line and "beyond" it was the road one foot on it & I was almost hit by a limo speeding by! Very clever - you basically just could'nt smoke anywhere in the vicinity!
    Bans are all for the good though, I enjoy the clearer air in pubs & restaurants.
    Reading back over that....I have a feeling I'll be one of those people who detest the smell of smoke once I become a non smoker :D

• Advertisement

Good Morning, I'm now up and having my first cup of coffee. Today I'm not going to push the buttons like I did yesterday. I was just testing my will power.
    Today I'm going to concentrate on keeping busy.
    Yes, California is one of the toughest in the States. There are some beaches where you can't smoke with other public beaches trying to incorporate the ban also.
    I think my cousin has just picked up her perscription too. When I emailed her that I was on my quit date, she said: " your better than me, I "forgot" to take my first pill". (notice forgot) ha! ha!
    I got my prescription just before the Thanksgiving Holiday then with the Christmas Holiday coming I thought "why put yourself through that" so I procrastinated and vowed to make it my New Years Resolution! How's that for rationalizing!:rolleyes:

Advertisement