Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Knowledge is Power

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

25) Thunderball - Ian Flemming

This is the first 007 James Bond that I've read. Nice pacey story with simple catchy writing. I'll read a few more.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

26) Back from the Brink - Paul McGrath

The Irish central defender of yesteryear tells his story. It's a sad one. The book had me wondering if it was only written to fund his next binge.

So, I managed 26 books in 2008, only half of the 52 I had aimed for. I was pretty busy with other stuff.

I enjoyed the historical books most. Roll on 2009 where I'll again aim for 52.

2009 :

1) The Spy Who Loved Me - Ian Fleming

Another James Bond novel. This one was told from the perspective of the main female character. I found it a bit girly to be honest! :pac: Thunderball was much better.

2) State of the Art - Iain M.Banks

Excellent collection of short stories. Highly recommended. Some are sci-fi, some not.

• Advertisement

3) How to fossilize your hamster & other amazing experiments for the armchair scientist - Mick O'Hare

Pop science. Some interesting nuggets of info.

4) Against A Dark Background - Iain M.Banks.

Rubbish. Avoid this book. Terrible plot, bland characters. Had to spent ages forcing myself through the 500 pages.

5) How Long Is a Piece of String? - Rob Eastaway & Jeremy Wyndham

Interesting analysis of mathematics in everyday situations. I liked this.

6) Starting Strength (2nd edition) - Mark Rippetoe

Great book on barbell training. I read the first edition last year.

7) Living and Working in Australia - David Hampshire

Skim read this. Way to detailed for what I wanted. This would be a great reference if actually in Australia for day to day issues. I was looking for more of a general overview.

• Advertisement

8) A short history of tractors in Ukrainian - Marina Lewycka

Enjoyed this. An easy, funny & quick 300 page read. The main character, an auld fellow, falls in love with a Ukrainian divorcee less than half his age. The book goes on to outline the conflict between the family and new found glamour/gold-digging wife.

"She exploded into our lives like a pinky fluffy hand-grenade". Lol :pac:

The bit about tractors is an interesting factual history of agriculture and the rise of the tractor interwoven with the fictional family feud.

7/10. I docked a few points as sometimes the story seemed to go around in circles e.g. everyone getting on far too well over meals directly after bitter court battles.

9) On her Majesty's Secret Service (a James Bond 007 novel) - Ian Flemming

Enjoyed this.

I was shocked with the following:
    He got married!

10) The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy (a trilogoly in 5 parts) - Douglas Adams.

The first two books (from a trilogoy of 5 :D) were both laugh out loud hilarious. I found the last three dragged a bit. I wasn't really expecting the ending!

It had been sitting on my shelf for the past few years so glad I got around to reading it.

11) Origin of Species - Charles Darwin.

How many times can he say the one thing? I seriously struggled getting through this. I read the first half properly, then started skimming.

12) 5/3/1 The simplest & most effective training system for Raw Strength - Jim Wendler

I'll report back in 6 months as to the claim in the title.

13) Night Train - Martin Amis

Fictional novel about a suicide being investigated by a female cop called Mike. Quick read.

14) Steve & Me. My life with Steve Irwin - Terri Irwin.

An interesting account of the man and his life. I found the ending pretty sad where the young son is crying in the bath asking where his Daddy is.

15) The Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition - Anita Bean

Great book. Just what I was looking for.

16) Mindstar Rising - Peter F.Hamilton

This guy is my favourite sci-fi author. Much better than Iain Banks. Mindstar Rising is his very first book, written when he was 27.

Enjoyable sci-fi.

17) Shakespeare - Bill Bryson.

A good overview. Enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

18) Ronnie - Laurie O'Neill.

A bio of Ronnie Kray, one of the infamous Kray Twins of East London back in the 50s/60s. Found it interesting as I know a lot of the places referred to.

19) Chocolat - Johanne Harris.

I did not enjoy this as I'm not a big fan of magic realism.

20) A Quantum Murder - Peter F.Hamilton.

My favourite sci-fi writer delivers again! This was written in 1994. Some of his thoughts on what the future would be like in 2005 and 2040 are interesting.
    I smiled when the butler came to tell the rich mogul that there was a phone call coming through on the house phone. It is 2040. She should have a mobile hardwired in to her brain!

21) Flashman - George MacDonald Fraser.

"Flashman" is the first in the Flashman series. About a year ago I read "Flashman in the Great Game". "Flashman" was better and a great intro to the series. Hoping to find more of these.

These books are historical novels putting Flashman, a fictional coward and bully, in various situations where he comes out looking the hero. The books are written from his point of view as a 90+ year old looking back unashamedly on what he did. He brushes shoulders with various historical figures so these can be taken as a history lesson as well as a humorous read.

22) Notes from a big country - Bill Byrson

A collection of columns which Byrson wrote for an English paper over 3 years following his move back to the USA. He provides witty observations on everday life and much comparison between life in the UK vs the USA.

A good fun read.

23) Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle - Tom Venuto.

24) Cityboy - Geraint Anderson

25) The Complete Book of Dreams - Julia & Derek Parker

26) 50 Facts that should change the World - Jessica Williams

• Advertisement

So, I managed 26 books in 2009 - exactly half of what I was aiming for. Now, on to 2010.

Advertisement