Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Survivor: Island of the Idols

Options
  • 26-08-2019 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭

30 days to go!

Dont want to start on a pessimistic note but I have serious reservations about this Sandra/Russell mentoring stuff, cringed when I saw those big statues of them. What is the point if they cant be eliminated and cant win?

EDIT: It's Rob and Sandra not Russell obviously...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What makes it an even more bizarre decision is (spoiler for season 40 cast)
    the fact they're both due back to play the following season

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

S.M.B. wrote: »
    What makes it an even more bizarre decision is (spoiler for season 40 cast)
    the fact they're both due back to play the following season

You have got to be joking :mad:

What's the betting they'll be given some advantages in that aswell to prevent them being booted out in the first round?

Thargor wrote: »
    You have got to be joking :mad:

What's the betting they'll be given some advantages in that aswell to prevent them being booted out in the first round?
    Again more spoilers for season 40, the one after the upcoming season. Not to be read if you enjoy waiting for the season finale to hear about the upcoming season theme.
    it's an all winners season so they'd have to hand out a lot of advantages to anyone they'd like to see stay longer than a few days

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Again more spoilers for season 40, the one after the upcoming season. Not to be read if you enjoy waiting for the season finale to hear about the upcoming season theme.
    it's an all winners season so they'd have to hand out a lot of advantages to anyone they'd like to see stay longer than a few days
    But whats Russell doing in an all winners season
    ? 40 should be good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Maybe wishful thinking. Boston Rob and Sandra will be the mentors (and Rob is also mentioned in lineup for the winners season).

🤪

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    But whats Russell doing in an all winners season
    ? 40 should be good though.
    Wait now I'm confused, I didn't even spot you said Russell in your original post. It's Sandra and Boston Rob who are doing the mentoring for this forthcoming season.
    Or has something changed that I'm unaware of?

Oh sh1t I'm an idiot sorry, for some reason Rob and Russell got switched in my head, haven't watched the trailer since the reunion ep aired...

Last weekend with no Survivor!

(Yes I know its broadcast during the week but its been a Friday or Saturday night tradition for me for many years now...)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Can't wait for the new Season to start but I'm not sure how well the 'mentoring' will work in terms of the overall idea. Statues are so cringey! I guarantee a few will be like "Umm who are these people (when they see the statues)"

Love to see some of the contestants kicking a$$ against Sandra and Rob in the challenges and showing them that they aren't as great as they make out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

I agree with you all that the theme is pretty silly. We'll see how that turns out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder will the mentors get thrown into the game at some stage.

Hopefully not but probably so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Like many, I have very low expectations for this season due to the gimmick but looking forward to watching it live for the first time in a while

Hopefully it'll just be a minor annoyance like that Island of Past Mistakes crap that was quickly forgotten as the season went on, not sure how much Boston Rob waffling I can stand listening to tbh, I suppose thats what the skip forward 10 seconds button in Media Player Classic is for...

Rob isn't going there unless he gets enough screen time to talk sh1te.

I don't mind the two of them to be honest, I just think when you add two returning players to a season, even if they aren't technically playing, takes away from what the editors can do with the new players.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

A fairly average 1st episode I thought. Can't say any great players are standing out for me just yet.

Don't think the island of the idols was anything special - just felt like Rob and Sandra (more so Rob) are using it to show off how amazing they are meant to be :rolleyes:

Pretty ok first episode. Didn't find the Island of Idols as jarring as I expected but it really is a completely unnecessary gimmick given how many seasons deep we are and how knowledgeable contestants should be at this point.

It'll definitely annoy some fans but I feel I can live with it if that is all the screen-time it takes up each week, basically like Ghost Island with narrators. Think it might be some extra cash to get Boston Rob and Sandra on the winners season

I wanted to throw something at the screen the moment I heard Robs voice.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

Not liking island of idols. pure rubbish i thought and i am normally a survivor enthusiast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

I thought the episode was great. I actually liked IotI, however I'm afraid it'll take up too much time in the regular 42-44 minute episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I enjoyed it but I have to agree that the IOTI may take up too much of the actual programme - I know they need a new twist each season but I'm not sure how long I can listen to Rob!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭pooch90

Rob was so patronising "how did you think youd go against me" feck off! Because her vote was pretty irrelevant anyway and it was worth a shot?
    No stand out players but I do like the Elaine girl (the one they were going to vote out initially)
    Glad they got the slimy guy instead!

Island of the Idols is a joke. I was indifferent to the rest, time will tell.

Oh yeah really flat start aswell, I mean the intro, it was really badly put together and didnt get you pumped for a new season like they usually do, they were just... there.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭TimeUp

Does anyone know how to watch it online from Russia?

I'm reading you guys eyes narrowed, don't wanna read any spoiler lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I can never understand why they lie about things such as what happens on the island. they are 100% going to be found out once someone else goes there and then everyone will thing they've come back with an advantage.

Why not tell the truth and say what happened

I wonder if they are allowed to be 100% truthful?

If I was in their boots I would have been super vague with the details, saying that I've been instructed to not tell everyone exactly what happened, be clear that I don't have an idol but make sure not to outright lie about anything.

I don't mind the 'twist' and it's much better than Rob and Sandra been part of each tribe but I do have my concerns over how much screen time this will get. I'd be perfectly happy if they bumped the episodes up to 'hour and a half' running time.

Can see some people new folk getting overawed by the experience and not thinking rationally. You see it regularly in the first few days of seasons, running to find idols or telling unnecessary lies about themselves only to only 'come clean' a few days in. They try to get their full survivor experience straight away and it can go badly through stupid risks, like here her taking on Boston Rob or lying about what is on the island.

• Advertisement

So after the episode last night it definitely looks like they've fed them the story about the urn smashing, doubt two came up with the same fake story. Again, didn't really mind the time on island of the idols but it already seems like they're struggling to fill the survivor topics to teach. Much easier to win this than the fire challenge, the questions were simple if you paid even partial attention.

Though I liked Molly, I really enjoyed the early 'big move' in splitting up the power group. Bodes well for the season that they're playing hard already and positioning themselves.

Advertisement